Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Bats, moths and torches
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
IP: Logged
icon Bats, moths and torches (0)  
This is an idea I've had in my mind for a while now. I don't think anyone else has come up with anything similar.

A bat is very like a wraithwing (i.e. it can fly) but with a roach brain and will move straight for Beethro.

The idea is that torches are implemented. Beethro can pick up a torch (signified by a glow around him). The torch will repel bats and cause them to move as far away as possible like a roach queen.

To make this more interesting another kind of similar creature (say, a moth) that is reversed could be implemented, i.e. it is attracted to the light but runs away in the dark. With both types in a room, Beethro would have to decide between picking up the torch and having moths after him, or leaving it and attracting bats.

Some possibilities:

1. The torch will last for 30 turns (to keep in line with spawns) after it is picked up or until Beethro dies or leaves the room.

2. The torch can be dropped and picked up several times as necessary. This does go against DROD rules, needing an extra button to drop, but would allow better defence when being attacked by moths and bats. With this system a torch could last a certain number of turns after Beethro enters the room. (say, 90?)

Other points... Brains will affect these monsters but will not overcome their fear of light/dark. Mimics cannot pick up torches as they would have no effect. Other monsters are unaffected by a torch.

Comments? I know it's not very complex but a monster that you can to some extent control would be quite cool, IMO.

"Oook!"
05-20-2003 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
icon Re: Bats, moths and torches (0)  
Nice. 30 turns to line up with the spawning periods wouldn't work, because the player will not necessarily pick it up at the turn that a queen/tar spawns. A certain number of turns after he enters the room is good, but it should be adjustable with a maximum, and the player should know approximately how many turns he has left. (i.e. messages like "Your torch is flaring high!", "Your torch is burnt 1/4 of the way down.", "Your torch is burnt halfway down.", "Your torch is getting low!", and "Your torch is about to go out!".

05-21-2003 at 12:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
I was thinking more that the colour of the glow gets fainter rather than actual messages appearing, but I agree that it would be important to have some warning.

Maybe white for full, yellow for half, then orange, and finally red before disappearing?

"Oook!"
05-21-2003 at 12:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056

File: image.jpg (46.9 KB)
Downloaded 1593 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Re: Bats, moths and torches (0)  
krammer wrote:
I was thinking more that the colour of the glow gets fainter rather than actual messages appearing, but I agree that it would be important to have some warning.

Maybe white for full, yellow for half, then orange, and finally red before disappearing?
Yes, I think this is a good idea. Also, it's pretty easy to implement a color intensity multiplier that gradually fades over the length of all the turns it's in effect.

The attached image is new.
We made it!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-09-2006 02:46 AM]
05-21-2003 at 04:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
Maybe there's also a little torch icon somewhere,
and i's like a health bar. The color also changes.

-Insane
12-26-2005 at 02:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Rank Points: 107
Good idea. Maybe the torch bar could be a picture of a torch, kind-of like this:
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

12-26-2005 at 02:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
Rank Points: 154
AtkinsSJ wrote:
Good idea. Maybe the torch bar could be a picture of a torch

that's what I meant with "torch icon"

-Insane

#.      
    ##:,     
   '###,     
    ##;      
    #        
    =
    =
    =
    =

Red = "Health" left
Black = "Health" gone

[Last edited by Insane at 12-26-2005 03:44 PM]
12-26-2005 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
I wish there was a way to mention this only to those who know, but

Click here to view the secret text
12-12-2006 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer

And you may want to check out the Revenge of Watch the Bar thread in Forum Games.

"Oook!"
12-12-2006 at 11:33 PM
Kwakstur
icon Re: Bats, moths and torches (+1)  
But I don't quite see why it has a hidden link like that.

What is the significance of it? The number "350" or the sister gates (assuming that's what sister gates look like)?

I guess I'll go check the 56 page Revenge of the bar topic. 350 . . . hm.

Oh, look! A tar baby! Oh, wait. Never mind.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 12-12-2006 11:46 PM]
12-12-2006 at 11:44 PM
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
Just a question. Shouldn't the moths still be atracted to the torch when beethro isn't carring it? And reverse for bats? This would spawn many interesting oppertunities such as, putting the torch out before the timer is finished, throwing the torch still lit(I dislike this one, makes it feel like D&D games) or just leaving it on the ground.

I wish that man would stay away
12-14-2006 at 03:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
icon Re: Bats, moths and torches (+1)  
The spitemaster wrote:
Just a question. Shouldn't the moths still be atracted to the torch when beethro isn't carring it? And reverse for bats? This would spawn many interesting oppertunities such as, putting the torch out before the timer is finished, throwing the torch still lit(I dislike this one, makes it feel like D&D games) or just leaving it on the ground.

Good idea. Although I would say that the time limit for the torch would then be a no-go. Meh, it didn't sound very DROD-like anyways.
But then again, I guess if both the time limit and spitemaster's idea were there, then you could make some interesting mimic-like puzzles. Maybe you could set some torches in order and have the moths follow each one until it burns out so that you can use torches to get moths through twisted paths, or something like that. Or maybe you could drop a torch when you pick it up so that a group of moths (one set up so that it would surround you and kill you if you held the torch) will surround it, and you'll have to kill them all before it burns out.
On second thought, I think the time limit won't turn out so bad with the ability to drop torches.

And there are probably some people who will be able to make very devious puzzles involving bats with the droppable, time-limited torch. You could make some good rooms for SmS with that.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 12-15-2006 08:53 PM]
12-15-2006 at 08:49 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Just a quick note...

I know you may have registered a while back, but I really like your intelligent participation in various threads. Hope you're enjoying optimising coz I'd love to see a few solutions of yours. See you in the HS :)
12-16-2006 at 10:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Well, if that was directed to me, let me just warn you that I don't have CaravelNet or the full version of DROD, so I can't make High Scores. But thank you for the comments. I'm trying to participate in conversation, because for quite a while, all I did was ask questions. :)

12-16-2006 at 02:39 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Bats, moths and torches
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com