Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Generic hint topics
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Generic hint topics (0)  
I think that generic hint topics (i.e. ones not tied to specific rooms) should be disallowed. People are already abusing them by creating generic topics dedicated to specific rooms. A generic help topic - such as something about a specific strategy - would be on-topic for the general board 99% of the time.

09-06-2004 at 10:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Generic hint topics (0)  
Yeah, I already IM'ed Schik about it. It was something we discussed when first talking about the current system, and we figured it wouldn't be abused. Guess we underestimated...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-06-2004 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5416
icon Re: Generic hint topics (+1)  
In at least some of the cases, I believe the "abuse" is because of a bug in my code - I just checked, and if you preview your post, it's losing the room association.

I'll fix that bug ASAP.

Edit: Okay, it's fixed.

[Edited by Schik on 09-07-2004 at 01:37 AM GMT]

09-07-2004 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
Is there perhaps still a bug? Because quite a few new help posts still use generic hints. Including ones that really shouldn't (such as the "help!" thread)

09-13-2004 at 11:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
I don't believe there are any bugs left, at least not bugs that would lose the room association. If anyone can disprove this and let me know how to reproduce it, I'd be more than happy to fix the bug.

09-13-2004 at 12:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I think the easiest first approximation at a "solution" would be to move the generic hint topic to the bottom of the page; at the top it's just the first thing people click on. Also, if you do search for a room and find some links to it, you also have this big prominent and shiny "Create a new topic for this room" button. It's just too much of a temptation for the average person to click it, I think. Make that just a normal text link so you actually have to read the text, and maybe we won't have these annoyances.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-13-2004 at 04:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Oneiromancer wrote:
I think the easiest first approximation at a "solution" would be to move the generic hint topic to the bottom of the page; at the top it's just the first thing people click on. Also, if you do search for a room and find some links to it, you also have this big prominent and shiny "Create a new topic for this room" button. It's just too much of a temptation for the average person to click it, I think. Make that just a normal text link so you actually have to read the text, and maybe we won't have these annoyances.
I agree with these things and thus I've changed it to be pretty much what you described. Before the Generic Hint link, I also put a link to the Monster Description page to try to help with "Hey, how do you kill a serpent?" type posts.

09-15-2004 at 03:12 AM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Good. That was annoying before.
09-15-2004 at 04:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Generic hint topics
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com