Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Story Collaboration
<<3456
Page 7 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Re: More Weird Physics On The "Pie Slice" (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
Major problem, Erik.
I agree with your points. I think we can change it to 100 miles above the surface. I'm going to have to start announcing this stuff in a more tentative way.

-Erik

01-01-2004 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Story Collaboration (0)  
Nah, you just need to go back and edit your original post, then put up a response that says "Where'd you get THAT number from? I said this other number"

BTW, congrats on reaching 1000 posts... again

01-02-2004 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Actually, he was at 1000 before, but somehow a bunch of numbers went down, and his did too.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-02-2004 at 05:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Hence the "again"

01-02-2004 at 05:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Heh heh :lol

It's superfluousest man!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-02-2004 at 06:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I think DROD.net is the only place where I find image jokes funny.

But then, Captain Obvious is pretty good anyway.

Matt

01-02-2004 at 08:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
:lol

01-02-2004 at 04:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gigaleon
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Tar Communication is easy to solve, the communicate with other blobs of tar via ultrasonic screech that other tar units respond too. Tar doesn't communicate with other tar in other rooms because they are other Tar Colonies. Tar Babies are probably antibodies of a sort, attacking outside aggressors.

They probably would feed on a chemical synthesis, probably some element that most 'normal' beings don't live on. Nitrogen in our air, for example.

Their defying of the conservation of mass laws is easy, before Beethro showed up they had been storing a lot of food in dense 'fats'. When a foreign entity is detected, they begin breaking down fats and expanding. They expand in order to 'consume' the predator, much like our skin tries to cover up bacteria, this creates zits and pimples. Or at least I think that's zits are made, anyway.

They also do this for a secondary reason, Tar babies can not be created at will by the Tar Mother, instead tar is spawned when Tar Pods aren't connected to the Colony correctly, since Tar never grows unless it feels threatened, this means there is an enemy present. They then begin using their appendages for different functions, their 'foot' mucus for movement, instead of lubricating for growth, and other such things. They eventually return to the Tar Colony and/or splat as their popped by an enemy.

Why exactly Tar doesn't attack other dungeon enemies (perhaps viewing to Beethro's sword as more dangerous then other monsters) is a mystery, and further leads to speculation that Architects purposefully created these monsters to antagonize Delvers, a silly conspiracy theory spouted by youngins'.

Brains probably attach fungii/spores to all the enemies in the room (they have lots of time) and command them through ultrasonic frequencies/spores. This might be why Goblins behave rather 'dumb' when under brain influence, subduing a sentient mind is rather difficult compared to a roach.

I think I explained most question there. Also, this was rushed.

[Edited by Gigaleon on 01-05-2004 at 10:35 PM GMT]
01-05-2004 at 10:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
You forgot the fact that tar only grows when a tar mother is present. And how do you explain the apparent eyes and mouth?

Otherwise, good explanation.

01-05-2004 at 11:09 PM
Gigaleon
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: Story Collaboration (+1)  
All Tar is made from a Tar Mother, the other areas are just 'carcases' when a mother dies. A mother is more or less a brain, the eyes are pods grown for visual sight, usually above the tar colony. I don't recall any 'mouths', if you mean the tar babies I think it's just a light effect.
01-06-2004 at 12:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Irashtar
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
icon Re: Story Collaboration (+2)  
bunch of random theories, in random order, trying to keep them all 'compatable', but whatever.

Firstly, I'm not sure if anyone else has brought this up, but perhaps the reason the sun doesn't toast the place is because it is not a sun, but by your very own rules, it is only an eighth of one!

one half-remembered piece of cosmology dealing with infinite cosmic strings brings up an interesting idea, where one kind of this string was only 7/8's of one, the other eighth cut out, and the edges gafted together, making it able for you to rotate around it only 315 degrees, and turn up at your starting point, taking this idea to extremes, we have that pie wedge of universe curled up and trying to make sense of itself, and doing pretty well, with the other eighth of a sun stuck to it, moving up and down for some unknown reason.

I think it's been mentioned before, but the way the world is twisted, this boundary at the hub (jeeze, just use discworld directions, at least laterally.) can't be reached, if you tryed to poke it, two others would get their finger in the way. you'd still be able to take something from the duplicate on your right however, if you don't mind another duplicate pinching yours.

the rim, perhaps this could be considered the boundary of the universe, would just be a wall of sky, and I'm betting would nearly hurt as much to look at close up than poking it. even if I 'm wrong about the string theory (*cough*), anything passing past it would not be compressed to a point, but a line, on the string.

One thing I really like about this theory is it only requires the spontanious creation of one simple impossible thing, which could be explained from another universe, in which it isn't impossible, rather than a near infinite number of impossible things, all happening right at once.

And one last thought, when quantum randomness puts this conciousness in that place, I will be taking an eighth of cherry pie in an eighth of a pan, sticking it up to the corner, and using a single peice of tape, stick it to itself, and drop it into the void, like a surreal voyager probe.
09-09-2006 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Irashtar wrote:
bunch of random theories, in random order, trying to keep them all 'compatable', but whatever.

Firstly, I'm not sure if anyone else has brought this up, but perhaps the reason the sun doesn't toast the place is because it is not a sun, but by your very own rules, it is only an eighth of one!

one half-remembered piece of cosmology dealing with infinite cosmic strings brings up an interesting idea, where one kind of this string was only 7/8's of one, the other eighth cut out, and the edges gafted together, making it able for you to rotate around it only 315 degrees, and turn up at your starting point, taking this idea to extremes, we have that pie wedge of universe curled up and trying to make sense of itself, and doing pretty well, with the other eighth of a sun stuck to it, moving up and down for some unknown reason.

I think it's been mentioned before, but the way the world is twisted, this boundary at the hub (jeeze, just use discworld directions, at least laterally.) can't be reached, if you tryed to poke it, two others would get their finger in the way. you'd still be able to take something from the duplicate on your right however, if you don't mind another duplicate pinching yours.

the rim, perhaps this could be considered the boundary of the universe, would just be a wall of sky, and I'm betting would nearly hurt as much to look at close up than poking it. even if I 'm wrong about the string theory (*cough*), anything passing past it would not be compressed to a point, but a line, on the string.

One thing I really like about this theory is it only requires the spontanious creation of one simple impossible thing, which could be explained from another universe, in which it isn't impossible, rather than a near infinite number of impossible things, all happening right at once.

And one last thought, when quantum randomness puts this conciousness in that place, I will be taking an eighth of cherry pie in an eighth of a pan, sticking it up to the corner, and using a single peice of tape, stick it to itself, and drop it into the void, like a surreal voyager probe.

Wow. Nice Necro there.

Here's a theory I proposed as to the identical slices thing: [url http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=11006&page=0#115672
09-10-2006 at 04:40 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Irashtar
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
voops. got linked here from the thread on bernedat's discovery, didn't realize it was deaded. >.>

[Last edited by Irashtar at 09-10-2006 07:48 AM]
09-10-2006 at 07:28 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
That's okay, though. I think that this thread is important enough. I probably would have necro'd it too, had I known of it before I made mine.
09-10-2006 at 03:22 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Tis a fine, fine thread, worth necroing.
09-10-2006 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
<<3456
Page 7 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Story Collaboration
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No