Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : PuzzleScript DROD (Not to be taken too seriously)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Lucky Luc
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1215
IP: Logged
icon PuzzleScript DROD (+6)  
I've been messing with PuzzleScript lately and came up with this, thought I might as well share it with you. This is only a proof of concept and only the most basic DROD elements are implemented, but the ones that are should hopefully work more or less correctly (that is if all rooms were covered in orthosquares). The few levels I created should be pretty easy.

Anyway, hope you enjoy, and as the subtitle says, don't take it too seriously ;)

http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=9200013
02-25-2014 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: PuzzleScript DROD (+1)  
Not a bad start.

I think the first thing I'd recommend is to improve playability by adding left and right rotate keys so the player doesn't need to continually switch modes between walking and rotating.
02-25-2014 at 02:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
icon Re: PuzzleScript DROD (0)  
Thanks! :) Yeah, the controls are quite messy, but as far as I'm aware of, the engine only supports one additional 'action key' as input besides the arrow keys and the restart and undo buttons. If anyone can think of a better way to handle sword turning with these limitations, I'll try my best to implement it :) .

Another downside is that the engine only allows up to 32 game objects, which I'm already using, so I can't implement much more game elements. I might be able to do some optimizations so that I could maybe add one or two more elements, but I think I'll leave it as it is. Cause it's really more of an experiment than a game ;)

[Last edited by Lucky Luc at 02-26-2014 12:55 AM]
02-26-2014 at 12:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: PuzzleScript DROD (+1)  
This is great - though it did steal my thunder :)

My approach was roach movement as per DROD. This works fine for one roach (disregarding Beethro movement and diagonal movement)

I can post the script once I work out which laptop has the saves on but the main focus had been:
* Beethro movement "at the same time" as roach movement
-- This was achieved using last on the roach sprite
-- Corollary of that meant directions had to be calculated before the move
* Roach movement preference (inc diagonals)
-- This required ... notation and visual markers in horizontal and vertical directions centered on Beethro (like English Country Tune demo) but also 8 different shadow roaches so the roach could be "teleported" to the right square based on results (creating diagonal movement when needed)
-- All of this required correct layering so the roach couldn't climb walls etc
* Sword movement
-- Having just one key meant some sort of "virtual keypad" to define the rotation. This was fine but felt clumsy

---

* Multiple roaches
-- This is where I gave up. I couldn't work out a generic way to emulate roach movement and target squares for more than one. Seemed I'd need to create 1 + 8 entities per roach and that just felt too clumsy
* Beethro diagonal
-- I couldn't implement this in a satisfactory way since Roaches/Monsters were already using the later frame

I gave up at this point. The guy's a genius and will probably look at the source but I think I hit the current limits for what I wanted to achieve

03-07-2014 at 07:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : PuzzleScript DROD (Not to be taken too seriously)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com