Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Page numbering looks corrupted
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Page numbering looks corrupted (0)  
Go to the Architecture forum, and head to the last page of threads. There's a thread with 30 replies that has (<<First Page ...) as its page links, with no way to get to page 2. There are a couple threads on page 5 of the forum with 52 and 55 replies that are in the same boat.

Even more amusing, on the last page of the Architecture forum is the Bavato's Dungeon v3.8 thread, which has 4 pages, of which you can only gain direct access to pages 1 and 4.

On page 4 of the Architecture forum, the Claythro Tower thread has 7 pages, identified as (<< First Page ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last Page >>) where (1 2 3 4 5 6 7) would clearly be more space efficient.

Then, from page 3 to the top, the numbering is as expected. Upon further testing I found, of course, that this was not limited to the Architecture board, that's just a very convenient place to see what's happening.

Shouldn't numbering be consistent throughout the forum?

Note: the numbering pattern matches exactly with the forum page numbers at the top and bottom of the thread listing.

Edit: Wow, there's a smiley in this post for absolutely no reason: I didn't even use a smiley code. I'll make another post about that

[Edited by DiMono on 08-31-2004 at 03:06 PM GMT]

08-31-2004 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5413
icon Re: Page numbering looks corrupted (0)  
I actually knew about this one, but haven't had time to fix it yet, and nobody had complained, so...

What's happening is this: There is one function that makes the little (<< Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >>) text, and it's using a global $page variable. So $page is being set by being on page N of the board, but it's keeping that same $page for each topic as well. Works okay when you're on page 1, but not otherwise. Actually, if you look on page 2 of a board, the page 2 link for any topic isn't be a link, while #1 is, contrary to topics on the first page.

I've been wanting to re-do how it generates the page link text, and make it look nicer while I'm at it.

08-31-2004 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Schik wrote:
I've been wanting to re-do how it generates the page link text, and make it look nicer while I'm at it.
You could always use Webdings. Sweet sweet webdings.

08-31-2004 at 05:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Page numbering looks corrupted (+1)  
I've fixed the bug, and revamped the look a bit.

09-01-2004 at 09:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
When viewing a thread, was the bottom set of page numbers always that far below the thread? I think it would look better right up against it, like in the thread listing itself.

09-02-2004 at 12:50 AM
Schik
I didn't change the locations of anything, as far as I know. I agree that it would look better up against the list of posts - I'll play with it later.

09-02-2004 at 12:53 AM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
Schik wrote:
I've fixed the bug, and revamped the look a bit.
Yay. Go Shick. I much enjoy the new buttons, especially the number "1".
09-02-2004 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
This just in:

I fixed a bug on the Member List, whereas you could kinda change pages, but it wouldn't reflect what page you were on.

Also added a new little feature: Click on the "Page 1 of 12" area in the pages table, and it will change to a drop-down list of all pages. Great for when there are a whole lot of pages. Thanks to trick for pushing for this - it was a great idea.

09-02-2004 at 08:28 PM
gds
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
Schik wrote:
Also added a new little feature: Click on the "Page 1 of 12" area in the pages table, and it will change to a drop-down list of all pages
I suggest, if possible, to change the cursor to something other than the caret when you hover over it. At the moment, it's not obvious you can click on it.
09-03-2004 at 09:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
On my computer it's the hand, what browser are you using? Could it be a static stylesheet issue?

09-03-2004 at 11:22 AM
Schik
It was not a hand on my system... I saw a caret as well. I've changed it to be a hand. Works for me in Firefox and IE.

09-03-2004 at 01:15 PM
DiMono
Actually, it seems that the paging at the bottom of the page has grey now when you're on that page, and still a caret. I'm in Firefox 0.9.1 because I'm too lazy to reinstall all my extensions.

09-03-2004 at 01:47 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
DiMono wrote:
Actually, it seems that the paging at the bottom of the page has grey now when you're on that page, and still a caret. I'm in Firefox 0.9.1 because I'm too lazy to reinstall all my extensions.
There's some good reasons to upgrade, for example this:
GLSA:
Users of Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox, and other gecko-based browsers are
susceptible to SSL certificate spoofing, a Denial of Service against
legitimate SSL sites, crashes, and arbitrary code execution. Users of
Mozilla Thunderbird are susceptible to crashes and arbitrary code
execution via malicious e-mails.
That's fixed in 0.9.3.

- Gerry
09-03-2004 at 03:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Schik wrote:
Also added a new little feature: Click on the "Page 1 of 12" area in the pages table, and it will change to a drop-down list of all pages. Great for when there are a whole lot of pages.
Small problem....

When searching for posts by a user, the hand cursor is visible in both the top and bottom tables, but it won't switch to a drop-down selection in the bottom table. I'm using IE 6SP1, if that helps.

-Patrick

09-05-2004 at 06:55 PM
Schik
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
When searching for posts by a user, the hand cursor is visible in both the top and bottom tables, but it won't switch to a drop-down selection in the bottom table. I'm using IE 6SP1, if that helps.
Fixed, thanks.

[Edited by Schik on 09-05-2004 at 07:46 PM GMT]

09-05-2004 at 08:46 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Page numbering looks corrupted
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com