Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Bombardier Beetle
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon Bombardier Beetle (+2)  
Just like roaches, bombardier beetles do exist in the real world, where they are small insects that defend themselves by emitting a burst of hot, noxious gasses with a popping sound.

So just like roaches, let's magnify them a hundred times and make them way more fearsome!

Beetles move and attack exactly like roaches do, but they have an extra attack. If one detects a threat within a 7x7 square, it will freeze up every fifth turn and blast out a pressure wave of toxic, superheated gasses which functions exactly like a fegundo's explosion. Beetles are afraid of the player, soldiers, stalwarts, guards, slayers, adder heads, and briar; essentially anything it knows can hurt it.

Beetles have an especially thick carapace (once used to protect the wings from the explosion, though the wings aren't used anymore), strong enough to withstand any explosion. External explosions will also scare a beetle, provoking it into releasing a sudden blast the next turn. Beetle blasts will scare other beetles into exploding, leading to a long line of blasts one after the other that surely no responsible parent would find danger in.

You could even start a square of beetles into exploding, whose blasts scare the next into exploding, giving you a self-sustaining reaction of bombs! Now wouldn't that be fun.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
11-20-2013 at 05:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Bombardier Beetle (0)  
12th Archivist wrote:
You could even start a square of beetles into exploding, whose blasts scare the next into exploding, giving you a self-sustaining reaction of bombs! Now wouldn't that be fun.
That does sound fun!

Wonder whether this behavior is already scriptable in 5.0.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-20-2013 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Bombardier Beetle (0)  
This seems scriptable for the most part. Have two custom characters, one for a regular beetle and another for one that's frozen up.

Detecting hostile creatures can be done with MyScripts + Wait for Entity + Wait for Entity Type

Then it can be replaced with the frozen up version.

Explosion would be just a simple Attack Tile Explosion + Game Effect, with one difference being it would have to detect the existence of a non-frozen beetle on the target tile and replace it with a frozen one so that it explodes next turn.

The only issue I can see here is that a beetle who was subject to an explosion would have their movement order changed.

11-04-2020 at 03:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Bombardier Beetle
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com