Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
IP: Logged
icon The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (+3)  

You probably haven't played Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, and because it's one of the most text-heavy jRPGs ever made and you didn't play it, the sequel, which was even more text-heavy, was an almost impossible sell for any English-speaking country. That's a bummer, because the first game ends on a major cliffhanger, but we had to accept it. Falcom released the sequel on two UMDs, making a digital sale almost impossible, and XSEED, the localization team for the first game, is small enough that a flop could be really, really bad.

Except somehow it's happening, and that makes for another good reason to play this really great game. The original PC games are also coming to Steam, and much like XSEED's Steam releases of the first two Ys games, they're going to be updated with all of the PSP content, making for a sort of ultimate version. That's another reason.

But the biggest reason is that Trails in the Sky is one of those rare games that shows the fruits of not only extreme polish, but extreme love. That sounds cheesy, but I don't know what else to say about a game where every random town NPC has their own name and personality, where side quests are not just fetch quests but routinely have their own dungeons, bosses and elaborate storylines, and reveal important parts of the world's lore. Those events can then bleed into other parts of the game: even a casual visit to an area ahead of time can be reflected in later dialogue. That goes for the sequel too, as First Chapter clear data can be transferred to Second Chapter Mass Effect-style. Liberl, the setting of Trails, is a place that feels more real than almost anywhere else I've visited in a game, just because there is so much detail between the lines.

Another reason is that combat is fun, and strategic in all of the right ways, with a magic system that rewards obsessive tinkering, but does not require it. No random battles means that the world feels inviting, rather than frustrating. Still, combat isn't the main piece of the puzzle, it just supports the game's grand vision, a grand vision that's okay being fairly quiet most of the time.

But it's okay that you didn't play it, because the best time to play it is right now. And you should because...well...I've already given a few reasons.

Okay, one more. Every treasure chest in the game has a unique "this chest is empty" message. I think that's pretty cool.

Trails in the Sky FC (First Chapter) is already out on the PSP, and is to receive a PC port this winter. SC (Second Chapter) is due next Summer.

11-09-2013 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (+1)  
Another thing worth noting: Trails in the Sky (Sora no Kiseki) is actually a trilogy, with Second Chapter finishing the main story and a final epilogue game. The epilogue game leads into a sequel duology, and a third series has just begun in Japan. XSEED (a really fantastic company that's done a lot of great, niche localization work) is doubtful that they can handle the rest of the series due to its sheer size, but have expressed interest in lending the rights to a publisher that can (much like how Carpe Fulgur is working on SC). These games are really worth supporting!

11-09-2013 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com