Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Varied Variations
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bomber50
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 872
IP: Logged

File: Varying Variations.drh (8.6 MB)
Downloaded 40 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Varied Variations (+4)  
This is a hold I've been working on for a decent amount of time. As of now it's just one level long and only 20 rooms.

Not too much to say really. There are many ways you can choose to complete the hold (I'd guess 200+), with many of them being very different from each other. The higher scoring methods tend to involve completing the hold in unusual ways.

Have fun!

Change Log
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by bomber50 at 08-03-2013 03:24 PM]
08-01-2013 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
icon Re: Varied Variations (+2)  
Well, I finished it, and the only room I didn't get to was 1S3E. I can see getting past the force arrow with the pickaxe I used elsewhere, but that wouldn't get me past the bomb.

I'm not sure what you mean by different ways to complete the hold, unless there's something really unusual in that one room. Do you just mean different optimization paths you can take? Because almost all the decisions I made looked obviously preferable to the alternative (e.g., yellow keying over the first green door, rather than opening it; or using the warp star to pass the bronze shield room instead of to pass the mud babies). There were some clever bits here, but some of it seemed like the appearance of choices when really no choice exists (e.g., if there's a way to make use of the wooden sword other than immediately swapping it for the briar hacker, I couldn't find it. The only other oremite floor is behind the door you can't open without the hacker).

Also, is there a reason for making the autosaves single-use?
08-02-2013 at 02:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bomber50
icon Re: Varied Variations (0)  
Interesting. Got to ask you two things first though:

1. What was your final score?
2. How many secret rooms did you find?
08-02-2013 at 03:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gordius
icon Re: Varied Variations (+1)  
I don't know what my final score was, but I ended with Goblin Biter, Bronze Shield and about 2000 HP. I found 2/3 secret rooms, with the one I couldn't get to having been mentioned. I'm sure I could optimize a bit better than I did, but it wouldn't be a fundamental change to what I did, just slightly better planning/ordering.

Edit: And naturally, just after posting this I figured out how to get into the third secret room. Not the intended way, though having been in there, I see how it was supposed to work; I got in around the bomb by pickaxing to breakable wall I guessed was there. Final score of 771. Pretty sure I could have gotten the Bronze Shield earlier than I did, but I wanted to test the third room and went straight there.

My overall assessment is that the secret rooms are clever, and the variety of options with the warp stars are interesting, but that there are still a lot of "choices" that are really no such thing.

[Last edited by Gordius at 08-02-2013 01:14 PM]
08-02-2013 at 12:53 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
icon Re: Varied Variations (+1)  

I finished with the long sword and bronze shield and no accessories. I could have traded 3 green keys for any of the following: grappling hook, hand bomb, warp token, possibly pickaxe. I found all three secrets.

Oh, and I didn't use 2 of the warp tokens; I used a pickaxe instead.

Overall, relatively clever but there are a few too many ways to get around intended solutions.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 08-02-2013 08:02 PM]
08-02-2013 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
New version in first post.

Comments

Edit: Removed rogue hand bomb

[Last edited by bomber50 at 08-02-2013 11:03 PM]
08-02-2013 at 09:44 PM
Someone Else
How I did that was I used a warp token in the second to last room, avoiding 3 green doors. To carry an accessory with me would have cost 3 additional green keys.
08-03-2013 at 02:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Same result as last time, though a little tighter. I managed 48 more HP (for a total of 2963), so a high score of 835 (+2 from my previous record).
08-03-2013 at 02:20 PM
bomber50
Someone Else wrote:
Same result as last time, though a little tighter. I managed 48 more HP (for a total of 2963), so a high score of 835 (+2 from my previous record).

Fixed. Also removed another unintended method.
08-03-2013 at 03:25 PM
Gordius
I'm getting a "created in a newer version" error with this new download; even though I have RPG 1.1.0.54, which is the newest I'm aware of.
08-04-2013 at 02:25 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Varied Variations
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No