Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Random Sprawl (A pile of stuff)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
blorx1
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 920
IP: Logged

File: Random Sprawl.hold (36.4 KB)
Downloaded 55 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Random Sprawl (+1)  
I've been making stuff. This is a one level hold, which is really just a sprawling labyrinthine mess. The current version isn't complete, but I figured I'd post it anyway since it could take a while for testers to get through all of it.

For the most part, there are very few tedious rooms, the closest it gets is in a certain secret room. The difficulty is probably somewhere between my other holds. I don't think the required rooms are too hard, but the secrets are quite tough. Some of the required rooms are probably still up to 8 brains, but for the most part are between 6.5 and 7.5

I've recorded demos for the majority of the rooms. The only section that I haven't confirmed to be solvable is the multi-room puzzle and the secrets that connect to it. I'll post again once I have made sure it is possible.

At the moment I don't have a teleportation system to get around the hold, even though I really should include it. I plan on adding it in the next version.

I plan on also adding some more rooms eventually, but I'm not sure when, but I'll get to it. For now, enjoy what there is.

Hold last updated: August 31.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 08-31-2013 11:43 PM]
07-21-2013 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
icon Re: Random Sprawl (0)  
I've updated the hold with some changes to the multi-room puzzle/hellhole

I've done a full run-through and I think that everything is now possible. The only reason I'm not 100% certain is because I made some changes in the middle of what was supposed to be a clean runthrough and I haven't done another actual clean run yet.

I'm not actually sure about the multi-room puzzle anymore, since, while playing through it again, it seems way way too hard. On the other hand, one of the secrets that is hidden in there is probably even harder than that. I could always turn the whole thing into post-mastery content if I had to.

EDIT: I also got rid of the other two copies of the level that I kept out of fear of accidentally deleting the level while trying to delete a room.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 07-22-2013 12:37 AM]
07-22-2013 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
icon Re: Random Sprawl (+1)  
For 3N
Click here to view the secret text

07-22-2013 at 10:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
No, that's not the way I intended, or really bothered to think about for 3N. It's a pretty simple fix to prevent that solution, and enforce my original one, which was to.

I'll upload a new version when something more major comes up.

07-22-2013 at 04:19 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
4N 4E: why there's speed potion in that room? Didn't need it at all.
2N 1E: quite easily doable if I place decoy on disarm token. Might want to place force arrow on it or something.
1S 4E:

07-22-2013 at 09:46 PM
blorx1
I've uploaded a version fixing the issues that had been pointed out. I also added a puzzle to 1S1E; it's rather tough, so maybe I should move it.

for 4N4E, I guess I didn't know the order that things happen during turns as well as I thought I did. I took out the speed potion, since I may as well.
for 2N1E: I'd originally thought that the player wouldn't be able to get out, but I guess it's easier just to stop the player from putting a decoy there in the first place.
for 1S4E: I have a bad habit of placing scrolls like that in the room as soon as I have an idea even though it ends up not working and I change it, but leave the scroll there. It's still an ok room, maybe not a super clever one, but still ok. The lying scroll has been removed.

07-23-2013 at 12:20 AM
da rogu3
5N

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 08-30-2013 09:13 PM]
08-30-2013 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
I'm glad you like 5N, there is a reason it's one of my favorite rooms (and not just because it's very much like a Larrymurk room).

As for the difficulty, I wasn't sure where it would end up, since I made it with the properties of mud in mind.

I probably won't get an update for this hold in for a while since I'm pretty busy with school right now. When I first made this hold, I'd intended it to be mostly just a dump of a ton of rooms I'd made and had intended to mostly just build a bunch of decent rooms. As interesting as that may be, I should probably aim to cut down some of the less interesting rooms, though if I do, I'll do it once I'm less busy.

08-31-2013 at 12:19 AM
blorx1
For some reason I made some new rooms, so I've updated the hold. 1S2W now has a puzzle and new puzzle has been added to 3S7E and the old room was moved to 3S1E.

The new 3S7E is pretty interesting, but potentially buggy, so be sure to check it out.

08-31-2013 at 09:20 PM
da rogu3

File: RS Random Sprawl 3S7E.demo (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Random Sprawl (+2)  
3S7E - I did the opposite of what was intended, and the door still opened.
08-31-2013 at 11:28 PM
blorx1
I thought I checked to see if it would work without solving the room the right way, I guess I didn't. It should be fixed now since I actually used the right comparison for variables.

08-31-2013 at 11:43 PM
da rogu3
2N2W

Edit: demo removed

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 09-02-2013 09:58 PM]
09-02-2013 at 09:46 PM
blorx1
I think the room has a case of lying scroll. There was a point where I wanted to enforce
but I don't think I ever really got it working. When I changed it to a simpler version I forgot to get rid of the scroll.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 09-02-2013 09:57 PM]
09-02-2013 at 09:56 PM
blorx1
Looking at this hold again, I'm not sure where I want to go with it.

I was originally intending to make this a sort of spiritual successor to random obsessive, and I think I could have, at the very least, finished the hold, I've got enough rooms in my pile that I could probably do most of it and not end up completely adding filler. I think if I did that it would work to a degree, but I'd have to spend a lot of time if I wanted to end up only really high quality rooms.

On the other hand I'm considering pulling out the good stuff and making it into a short small hold, there are a couple ways I'd do this, but I'm partial to the approach that I'm about to mention. What I kind of want to do is pull out the good tarstuff rooms, since there are quite a few very good ones and publish that as a short hold and keep the rest of the stuff on the side to look at later.

Either way I've got one other thing I'm uncertain about: The multi room puzzle. I doubt anybody has played through it and if I published this I doubt anyone would since it takes all the confusion of normal multi room puzzles and makes it unclear which way even allows passage. I think I'd be better off just making another alternate hold as the multiroom puzzle.

I don't have any updates at the moment, but I'd like to know what people's opinions are.

01-20-2014 at 06:25 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
I haven't tried your hold yet, so I guess I can't provide concrete feedback, but I'd say go with (1) what you think is "best", and (2) go with something you know you will complete and publish, so more people will be able to enjoy it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-20-2014 at 01:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
I've gone with the plan for making a tarstuff hold out of the rooms in here. Don't expect this hold to get updates for a long time, since the non-tarstuff rooms are generally less interesting, I may make a low difficulty, fun hold out of this later.

01-25-2014 at 05:13 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Random Sprawl (A pile of stuff)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com