Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Hikari's GatEB Colourblind-Friendly Door/Tar Mod! (Because, uh... wow, this is a serious accessibility issue.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
IP: Logged

File: colourblind.zip (74.4 KB)
Downloaded 57 times.
License: Creative Commons
AttributionNon CommercialShare Alike 3.0 Unported
icon Hikari's GatEB Colourblind-Friendly Door/Tar Mod! (+11)  
So, there was a discussion in the Chat yesterday to the effect of 'DROD isn't very friendly to colourblind people'. Now, I know, you might say 'right-click is your friend', but, well... Now that I've taken the time to see what happens if you desaturate DROD...

Click here to view the secret text

That's a problem. That's a huge, huge problem. Note, for example, that the tarstuff-switch tokens appear virtually identical. And if you're not paying attention to the textures, most of those doors are identical, too... The blue and yellow ones, in particular, are far too close; I can't tell the difference between the closed ones just by looking, myself.

So, a solution! I've created a tilemod that changes out the existing door and tar tiles to ones that, while perhaps not being *quite* as clean and elegant, are much more friendly toward those who can't tell colours apart. Behold:

To be specific (particularly if you're looking at this image and are, in fact, colourblind): Yellow (orb) doors and Tar are devoid of extra lines. Red (trapdoor) doors and Mud have horizontal lines across them, as do the Mud sides of swap tokens that affect Mud. Green (room clear) doors and Gel have vertical lines, as do, again, Gel-related swap tokens. Blue (level clear) doors have both horizontal and vertical lines, and Black (Tarstuff) doors have diagonal crosses on them.

Installation of this mod is simple enough; as with all tile mods in the past (for example, the ubiquitous Transparent Tar mods), you drop the .png and .tim files into your Data/Bitmaps folder, then add the following line to your drod.ini file, under Graphics:

General=colourblind

Happy smiting!

Don't mind the misaligned line in the dropped red door. It's fixed in the zip file.

...oh, hush. Everyone makes mistakes. It was like fifteen hours between when this thing was requested and when I was done, and that includes a full night's (day's?) sleep.

[Last edited by Hikari at 06-05-2013 08:39 AM]
06-05-2013 at 08:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: Hikari's GatEB Colourblind-Friendly Door/Tar Mod! (0)  
Fun stuff. I know I could do it myself but do you happen to have a desaturated version of the finished product?

06-05-2013 at 01:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Vike91
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 231
Wow, thank you so much!

Now DROD's more comfortable for me.

There's some color rooms/characters in some usermade holds, but yeah, they are hold-specific.

Does this mod work for DROD: RPG too?

EDIT: Could not find the drod.ini file...

[Last edited by Vike91 at 06-05-2013 01:24 PM]
06-05-2013 at 01:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Hikari

File: colourblinder.png (133.7 KB)
Downloaded 608 times.
License: Public Domain
west.logan:

drod.ini should be in the Data folder. Did you look in your user account's Application Support/Caravel?

And as far as I know, it won't work in DROD RPG, as the tile size is different there, unless I'm mistaken. Doesn't mean I can't make something similar there as well, though.

EDIT: Wait, are you asking for a desaturated version of the mod itself, west.logan? You do realize that it only affects doors, tarstuffs, and tarstuff tokens, right? I didn't do a full conversion...

[Last edited by Hikari at 06-05-2013 01:41 PM]
06-05-2013 at 01:36 PM
Hikari

File: colourblind.png (11.2 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
License: Creative Commons
AttributionNon CommercialShare Alike 3.0 Unported
icon Re: Hikari's GatEB Colourblind-Friendly Door/Tar Mod! (+2)  
<---- If that *is* what you wanted, west.logan, swap in this file for the one in the zip.

EDIT: I find it absolutely hilarious that more people have downloaded *this* file than the one with the .tim file in it.

[Last edited by Hikari at 06-06-2013 04:05 AM]
06-05-2013 at 01:43 PM
Vike91
Rank Points: 231

File: Sieppaa.PNG (136.1 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
Hikari wrote:
drod.ini should be in the Data folder. Did you look in your user account's Application Support/Caravel?

Nope. No drod.ini file. Screenshot attached.

EDIT: Nevermind. It was in the program data folder.

[Last edited by Vike91 at 06-05-2013 01:50 PM]
06-05-2013 at 01:45 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Oh I'm not colorblind so have no interest in replacing my files, but was curious to see the difference. It's a simple and effective solution, I like it!

Did you recolor the green doors?

06-05-2013 at 01:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
west.logan wrote: Did you recolor the green doors?

If you mean 'did I do the green doors', I think that's obvious.
If you mean 'did I adjust the colour of the green doors', then yes; I did this whole thing by hand as I'm not allowed to distribute official DROD assets, and honestly, the way I did the 'closed' doors was to make the set with yellow, then copy and adjust hue for each. It does mean *my* colors might be a little worse for someone who's colourblind, but the bold lines should negate that issue

Doesn't mean I haven't fired a request off to Mr. Imer, though, to see about getting permission to use the official assets...

06-05-2013 at 03:20 PM
Hammerite
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
I'm not colourblind myself, but I understand that various forms of colour deficiency are vastly more common than total colour blindness (i.e. monochrome vision).

You might find Color Oracle interesting, it is a program that you can use to take a snapshot of your desktop and simulate how it looks to people with various kinds of colourblindness. For example, I used it to make this:

which is a recolouring of your modified DROD screengrab, as it would look to a person with deuteranopia (most common kind of colour blindness).

Color Oracle: http://colororacle.org/
09-25-2013 at 05:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
I can confirm that that is about exactly what it looks like to me. The mud is a little lighter than in the original picture, and I have a slightly easier time telling apart the red and green doors, but that's very good.
09-25-2013 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drgamer
Rank Points: 113
It's almost exactly what I see, as well. At least the version I have.

The only real difference I can see is on the closed/right side trap door is greener on the altered version. And maybe the open/left side. The mud seems very slightly greener, but it is very subtle to what I can see. Though the token mud coloring does seem to be distinctly different.

I'm guessing I actually have Deuteranomaly, but I never got it specified down to that level detail. I actually hadn't heard of that particular term for it before double checking about it.

I'm not sure how much of the filtered image is distorted because I'm already colorblind, though.
10-05-2013 at 01:03 AM
Grizzly
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41

File: colourblind-deuteranopia-comparison.png (259.1 KB)
Downloaded 300 times.
That's what the two versions (Colourblind-Friendly Mod versus Deuteranopia Recolouring) look like to me:

So the right one is basically just yellow and blue for me, I cannot distinguish red, green and yellow on it.

[Last edited by Grizzly at 10-05-2013 12:12 PM]
10-05-2013 at 12:12 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Hikari's GatEB Colourblind-Friendly Door/Tar Mod! (Because, uh... wow, this is a serious accessibility issue.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com