Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD Scavenger Hunt (An UNOFFICIAL Contest!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon DROD Scavenger Hunt (+2)  
After much digging and playing with King Dugan's Dungeon in the Hold Editor, I have isolated a bunch of interesting rooms. As well, after much time here on the forums, I have a significant number of saved up Mod points. What to do, what to do...

In order to make some use of my embarassing knowledge of the rooms of King Dugan's Dungeon, and to lighten myself of some of my mod points, I have decided to hold a little contest of my own, independent of the monthly contests we've all grown to know and love.

Below are thirteen 'items' that can be found within the confines of King Dugan's Dungeon. Some of their locations are fairly obvious, while others are not where you might expect them to be.

In order to enter the scavenger hunt, all you need to do is declare your entry in this thread (so I can mod it up if you win), and send me a PM with your solutions.

Multiple submissions will be accepted, but the second submission will entirely replace the first. This means if you accidentally replace a correct solution with an incorrect one, the later solution will be used. The date of the second submission will also be considered the submission date, so there is no advantage to entering quickly with random guesses and then correcting them later.

Now, without further ado, the Scavenger Hunt list:

1) Longest Serpent
2) Three Rooms Only Accessible Through The Editor
3) Longest Yellow Door
4) First Room Chronologically With Four Monster Types (tar queens and brains count)
5) Two Rooms With Invisibility Potions
6) Most Squares Of Wall
7) Two Rooms With Nine Mimic Potions
8) Most Non-Dropable Trapdoors
9) Most Room Exits Not Counting Level 13
10) Most Tar You Cannot Cut
11) Most Orbs
12) Most Initial Tar You Can Cut
13) Most Brains

I will accept submissions until September 1, 2004, or until all prizes have been won. First prize is 15 mod points, second prize is 10, and third prize is 5. If you don't reply to the thread, I can't mod you up.

This scavenger hunt consists of 17 rooms. If less than three people find all 17 in the next week, I will go by who has found the most, and then the next most, etc.

I will reply to submissions with the number of rooms you're missing (but not which ones), and I will make periodic posts in this thread to keep everyone informed as to the scavenger hunt's progress.

Best of luck to you all!

Edit: The first submission came in with an absolutely unexpected answer for most undroppable trapdoors, being level 1, 1W. I'm not going to count that as the correct answer for this part of the scavenger hunt, because if you play the room in the editor, you can in fact drop every one of them.

Second Edit: Crumbly wall segments don't count as seperate exits. If they're next to an existing exit then it's part of the same exit, and if there are many pieces of crumbly wall next to each other than it all counts as the same one.

[Edited by DiMono on 08-29-2004 at 05:52 AM GMT]

08-26-2004 at 04:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: DROD Scavenger Hunt (0)  
I really can't enter because I'm replaying KDD after I lost my player and I'm so far in level 14 :( . There's no way, I can complete whole KDD in time.
08-26-2004 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Actually, if you're patient then you can use the Insert DROD Room image link to browse through the levels. Not having editing rights in KDD does not stop you from entering this contest.

08-26-2004 at 05:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
icon Re: DROD Scavenger Hunt (+15)  
True, but it's easier. Ok, I'm in.
08-26-2004 at 05:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
icon Re: DROD Scavenger Hunt (+10)  
Just wanted to say I'm in. However, it may take me a few days to work up a reply due to my work schedule.
08-26-2004 at 01:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
dividendD
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
What exactly do you mean by "Most Room Exits?"
08-26-2004 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
dividendD
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
I'm in. I think I have the right answers but I might not. Sending reply NOW.
08-26-2004 at 04:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
I was wondering if someone could e-mail me anyone edit version of KDD. I've finished the game earlier but I lost that save and I'm too lazy to use insert room image... Besides, you can't count the squares easily without editor

Thanks Mike, I got it.

[Edited by Doom on 08-27-2004 at 03:32 AM GMT]
08-26-2004 at 05:42 PM
DiMono
dividendD wrote:
Most ways for Beethro to walk out of the room, in to the next one. Not the most number of squares from which he can exit, just the most passageways he can exit through.

[Edited by DiMono on 08-27-2004 at 01:52 AM GMT]

08-27-2004 at 02:51 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
DiMono wrote:
dividendD wrote:
Most ways for Beethro to walk out of the room, in to the next one. Not the most number of squares from which he can exit, just the most passageways he can exit through.
I assume stairs don't count?

++Adam H. Peterson
08-27-2004 at 03:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
AlefBet wrote:
DiMono wrote:
dividendD wrote:
I assume stairs don't count?
Nope, stairs don't count. Besides, that's not really going to the next room ;)

08-27-2004 at 03:08 AM
DiMono
Alright ladies and gentlemen, I have a handful of entries received so far, some of which are really very close. One so close, in fact, that I might be persuaded to say they're going to win first place. Still fifteen valuable rank points up for grabs, and still plenty of time.

08-27-2004 at 09:36 PM
YtterbiJum
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
icon Re: DROD Scavenger Hunt (+5)  
I'm in.

08-29-2004 at 03:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Another couple days, and second place has been claimed. There's only five more rank points left, my friends, and two days (give or take) in which to claim them. The current third place entry has fifteen correct rooms, so it's pretty tight at the wire.

There's still time for five!

08-30-2004 at 03:43 AM
DiMono
Alright everyone, this is the last day for submissions to this contest. Third prize is still up for grabs, that's a big five rank points just for looking through King Dugan's Dungeon and finding a few rooms. Time is running out!

09-01-2004 at 03:19 PM
Doom
By the way, you need 220 mod points to give all awards. Do you really have that many unused points?! I have only 16 currently :)

[Edited by Doom on 09-01-2004 at 02:45 PM GMT]
09-01-2004 at 03:45 PM
DiMono
Indeed I do have that many, and more. Remember when rank points were first introduced, Matt said there were other ways to get them besides modded posts?

09-01-2004 at 03:51 PM
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
You know, I've been wondering about that. If you wanted to save on mod points, you could always ask the winners to post an extra message or two and mod each message for a partial amount of the winnings. I am correct in my assumption that it would take more mod points to raise a post to +5 than it would to raise two posts one to +2 and one to +3, aren't I?
09-01-2004 at 04:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Maybe, but I think it's far less impressive or noticable if I mod up several posts instead of one. I mean, if I really wanted to save on points I could ask the first place winner to make fifteen posts and then mod each one up +1, which would only cost 30 points. It's much more elegant this way, I think.

09-02-2004 at 12:27 AM
DiMono
icon Re: DROD Scavenger Hunt (+1)  
The results are in! After a week of grueling combat, three people have emerged above all others in this totally unofficial contest. The struggle was long, and the fighting was hard, and when the votes came in there was only one way for it to go... I'm sure that'll make sense eventually. Before revealing the winners, I present you all with the correct answers to the Scavenger Hunt!

1) longest serpent: Level 12, 1S2E -> 519
2) Three rooms only accessible through the editor: Level 1, 1W AND Level 13, 2N2W AND Level 14, 3N
3) Longest yellow door: Level 3, 3S1W -> 113
4) First room chronologically with four monster types (tar queens and brains count): Level 8, 2S3E
5) Rooms with an invisibility potion: Level 5, 2S AND Level 3, 1N1W
6) Most squares of wall: Level 15, 2S4W -> 1212
7) Nine mimic potions: Level 3, 1N1E AND Level 4, 2E
8) Most non-dropable trapdoors: Level 22, 2N2W -> 120
9) Most exits not counting level 13: Level 5, 1S1E OR Level 24, 1S1W -> 8 (either was acceptable)
10) Most tar you cannot cut: Level 16, 3S -> 929
11) Most orbs: Level 18, 2N -> 30
12) Most initial tar you can cut: Level 16, Entrance 881
13) Most brains: Level 21, Entrance -> 14

And so, the three winners of this contest are:

1st: Doom
2nd: KevG
3rd: YtterbiJum (15 out of 17)

Congratulations to all three of you, and indeed to everyone else who entered the contest, and thank you for participating.

09-02-2004 at 05:52 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD Scavenger Hunt (An UNOFFICIAL Contest!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com