Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Judy's Mansion (My first shot at an RPG hold (including on my Brainiac1999 account))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Neather man
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 6
IP: Logged

File: Judys Mansion.drh (6.1 KB)
Downloaded 58 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Judy's Mansion (0)  
Here is a basic one. The levels are the same structure, but you get choices. At the end you face an Aumtlich.
12-16-2012 at 10:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 95
icon Re: Judy's Mansion (0)  
In general, this has a few interesting decisions, but there's a lot of empty space that could either be filled or consolidated. The premise of all the levels looking the same tends to make the decision-making less interesting over time. Also, the rewards behind the early skeleton key doors aren't especially useful. If greckles were scarce or reputation useful, it might be worthwhile, but other tools that might be worth keeping from one level to another would be more interesting.

Some specific thoughts:

1:Entrance - The wingwraith presses down his plate after your first move. You could accomplish the same by putting the three plates in the square behind each of the three monsters.

1:2N1E - The VIP card doesn't open the door.

2:2N1E - The lucky greckle doesn't open the door.
12-16-2012 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
On Floors 1 through 4, the card reader eye will fail to execute the script if you step on the scroll without having the required item. This means that if the player reads the scroll without the item and leaves the room, the card reader eye will not open the door when the player returns with the item. To fix this, use the script:
Click here to view the secret text

On Floor 4, killing the aumtlich gives an autosave with the title "Pirate defeated!".

Because the player *must* kill an aumtlich to go to the fifth floor, having a second aumtlich as the final boss is anticlimactic and too easy, especially if the player is given a Really Big Sword and an Oremite Shield. My advice would be to change the final boss into something harder.

Overall, this hold is really interesting because it uses the exact same room template multiple times, and only by the changed enemies is it difficult or new. Overall, I quite liked this hold!

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
12-16-2012 at 06:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4741
Not just the layout, but also the best decisions were nearly identical on every floor. It's certainly much better than many first RPG holds, and you show that you know how to create choices -- you just need to add more of them, and more varied levels.

Why do the first two levels say "by hyperme"?

12-16-2012 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather man
I used an account the user was giving over, Nuntar. 12th, I will add the script and I will upgrade the final boss.
12-22-2012 at 12:29 AM
Neather man

File: Judys Mansion 2.drh (6.2 KB)
Downloaded 54 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Judy's Mansion (+2)  
Script added and new boss!
12-22-2012 at 12:41 AM
gavgav123
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
icon Re: Judy's Mansion (+2)  
Really good hold for such a basic theme! But i do reccomend adding a harder boss. Your given the best items at the end and i think maybe they should be earned somehow
12-29-2013 at 10:17 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Judy's Mansion (My first shot at an RPG hold (including on my Brainiac1999 account))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com