Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Rayne's Hold (Work in progress)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RayneStormRN
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
IP: Logged

File: Raynes Hold.hold (22.6 KB)
Downloaded 55 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Rayne's Hold (+1)  
I started this yesterday. If you play through it it's obvious there are levels still to come , but i don't think there are any backtracking issues. I've played through it, and i think fixed the bugs i came across, but i'm sure there are many still, but i don't want to get a whole lot further, without finding any bugs/backtracking/other issues early on.

A lot of the npc's you have to bump into to interact, and i think i made them all invulnerable.

The "mainland" level is pretty repetitious, but it's kind of setting up story and showing "invasion", so i hope that's not too annoying.

all feedback is appreciated, especially in regards to bugs, or ideas to make what is there so far better. and probably most importantly should i continue it? or is it just annoying?

i'm really kinda horrid with scripting, but trying to get it figured out.

thank you in advance :), whatever your opinion.

Oh yes, and so far there should be no end hold exit. all exits should take you to another level, or back (although some levels aren't really started yet)

[Last edited by RayneStormRN at 11-06-2012 03:35 AM]
11-05-2012 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1304
icon Re: Rayne's Hold (0)  
The main thing I dislike about it is that the rooms isn't that they aren't puzzles. There's just a bunch of monsters in a room, which could be better, but it's the same monsters. That's not interesting.

Try spending some time on each room; make each room have a bit of a puzzle in it. That will improve your hold 10-fold. Quality is better than quantity.
11-06-2012 at 01:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RayneStormRN
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
ok, made a bunch of changes to mainland, and there are now a few rooms in the "foothills".

I'm new at trying to make a hold (i attempted one a long time ago, but it was really really REALLY bad), and new at trying to craft puzzles.

some of the rooms are the same, a bunch different, and hopefully a little more puzzly.

The newest version is up now.
11-06-2012 at 03:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 623

File: RH Mainland 3W Victory.demo (2.2 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
Ok I think that the main idea is good even if some rooms are pretty similar and trivial but it can be good for beginners.
Despite this some rooms are pretty harder than others, like Mainland 1W and 2S2W.
To make some rooms more interesting maybe you should remove all the natural safe spots in snake rooms.
Sadly I found secret rooms pretty boring, perhaps you should put some puzzle in it.
I liked Mainland 3W and I solved it in a different and IMO funnier way, you can put it as a challenge if you want.
I think that you should continue with this hold but you should be careful, try to create every room with something different and with a little puzzle in it.

11-06-2012 at 09:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Rayne's Hold (Work in progress)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com