Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Look! Links! (For posting cool links for all to see)
<<44454647
Page 48 of 56
49505152>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
IP: Logged
icon Re: Look! Links! (0)  
11-06-2009 at 06:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Rabscuttle wrote:
http://grathio.com/2009/11/secret-knock-detecting-door-lock.html
Port knocking for the real world? ;)

11-06-2009 at 09:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Warning - cute overload:

Ferret dance (A series of tubes)

*dawwwww* :D

11-06-2009 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
petkish
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Suggesting my puzzle - rooms.jmpup.com (+2)  
My post is about a new online puzzle machine I recently completed - it is called "The Solomon's Labyrinth". You can open it here: http://rooms.jmpup.com.
The idea behind the puzzles is borrowed from Raymond Smullyan's "The lady or the tiger" book.
You find yourself in a room, from which you need to escape through a door. Only some doors are safe to open, so you need to figure out which ones. The only information you have for analysis is written on the door signs. The problem is that some of them are completely untrue.
Please, evaluate the game, and give some feedback here! And... the puzzles are hard, and getting harder when you advance to next ones, so, have a sheet of paper and a pen nearby, and be ready to spend a half a hour on particularly complex ones...
Enjoy!
11-19-2009 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
A fun game indeed...but does it end? I've gotten above 100%, which I would think would be an ending.

11-21-2009 at 03:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
zex20913 wrote:
A fun game indeed...but does it end? I've gotten above 100%, which I would think would be an ending.

Darn you! I read three Smullyan's books and only got to 60%!

Then on the the other hand, I haven't played too much and the books? I read them good couple of years ago (like 4) :).

Anyway, the game is in my humble opinion magnificent I am most likely going to play it spontaneously for next couple of months along with Woderquest and Stick Rangers.

11-21-2009 at 08:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
petkish
zex20913 wrote:

Sorry, that's one problem - I have no nice ending for the game... In my opinion in the end you will save the princess and the king, but first I need to create the part which will add "actors" into the puzzles. So in some rooms you will meet someone, who also is involved in the puzzle.

But I am working on it.
11-21-2009 at 07:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
petkish
Darn you! I read three Smullyan's books and only got to 60%!

Then on the the other hand, I haven't played too much and the books? I read them good couple of years ago (like 4) :).

Anyway, the game is in my humble opinion magnificent I am most likely going to play it spontaneously for next couple of months along with Woderquest and Stick Rangers.
I myself can only get to 60-65% if I play fair. Then I loose my patience, because it needs analysis of too many possibilities.
Thanks for a good review!
11-21-2009 at 07:26 PM
Briareos
icon Re: Look! Links! (+1)  
Beatles 3000 - 1000 years in the future, the legacy of John, Paul, Greg, and Scottie remains. :lol

11-27-2009 at 04:37 PM
Briareos
How to make a nice break in your own kitchen as told by Beardyman... :lol

12-05-2009 at 10:45 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Look! Links! (+2)  
How not to treat a vendor at your convention.

I've been to several cons, and I've helped (via the company I work for) support multi-million dollar events, and I know how you're supposed to treat your vendors. Reading this made me so mad it's kept me up for the last 2 1/2 hours, and I have to be up in 4 for work. I know Ryan and Lar, who produce Least I Could Do and Looking For Group, and they're both pure gold. I've sent in notice of my boycott to Dragon Con.

12-08-2009 at 07:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
I'm probably going to get modded down for this, but...

And I'm sure some of you have heard of this before too, so...

Plus I don't know who's a member of what now, unfortunately...

There are still a sizable quantity (about half the size of this forum) of people that are positive the Earth is still flat.

Check it out here. For the sake of future interplanetary missions, I sincerely hope they're not right.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 12-19-2009 09:43 PM]
12-19-2009 at 09:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
12th Archivist wrote:
Check it out here. For the sake of future interplanetary missions, I sincerely hope they're not right.

This website does not look particularly serious. It is amusing, and there may well be flat-earthers out there somewhere, but I sincerely doubt that any real flat-earthers had anything to do with the construction of this website.

Josh

12-19-2009 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
What makes you say that?

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
12-19-2009 at 11:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
12th Archivist wrote:
What makes you say that?
The list of replacements includes 7 guards, 957 cafeteria workers, 3716 Pepsi machine repairmen and 14 members of the clergy.
(emphasis added)
12-20-2009 at 12:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
eh, I think the following makes it even more transparent
The Flat Earth Society is not in any way responsible for the failure of the French to repel the Germans at the Maginot Line during WWII. Nor is the Flat Earth Society responsible for the recent yeti sightings outside the Vatican, or for the unfortunate enslavement of the Nabisco Inc. factory employees by a rogue hamster insurrectionist group. Furthermore, we are not responsible for the loss of one or more of the following, which may possibly occur as the result of exposing one's self to the dogmatic and dangerously subversive statements made within: life, limb, vision, Francois Mitterand, hearing, taste, smell, touch, thumb, Aunt Mildred, citizenship, spleen, bedrock, cloves, I Love Lucy reruns, toaster, pine derby racer, toy duck, antelope, horseradish, prosthetic ankle, double-cheeseburger, tin foil, limestone, watermelon-scented air freshner, sanity, paprika, German to Pig Latin dictionary, dish towel, pet Chihuahua, pogo stick, Golf Digest subscription, floor tile, upper torso or halibut.

12-20-2009 at 01:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

This one is the srs bsns flat earth society, as I recall.
12-20-2009 at 09:17 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Suggesting my puzzle - rooms.jmpup.com (+1)  
petkish wrote:
My post is about a new online puzzle machine I recently completed - it is called "The Solomon's Labyrinth". You can open it here: http://rooms.jmpup.com.
This is very impressive stuff!
Please keep us updated (and maybe move the post to Development)...
12-28-2009 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4591
Just a quick point about your user's manual:

The false signs also provide very valuable information! You need to have some skill of "inverting" the lie to produce the truth. In general, to do this, you need to keep the subject of a saying unchanged, but invert the fact of the saying. Consider the examples:

* All green doors are safe. <-> At least one of the green doors is a trap.
    * Either all green doors are safe, or they all are traps.
 <-> Some green doors are safe, others of them are traps.
    * Two of green doors are safe. <-> Two of green doors are traps.

The last one doesn't follow. The logical negative of "Two of the green doors are safe" is "Either more than two or fewer than two of the green doors are safe".

[Last edited by Nuntar at 12-29-2009 01:49 PM]
12-29-2009 at 01:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Also, I think the brown and green shades are too similar, and there's an error in the fifth puzzle:

Door 1 (yellow). Sign reads:
The green door is safe to enter.
The door number 2 is lying.

Door 2 (green). Sign reads:
Either all the doors are traps, or they all are safe to enter.
One of the doors is lying.

Door 3 (yellow). Sign reads:
Some of the yellow doors are traps, some are safe to enter.

According to the user manual, either all the statements on any one door are all true or they are all lies. Now, door 2 cannot be a liar, or then it would be telling the truth about one of the doors being a liar. Also, the user manual says it's never the case that all the doors are traps. So they are all safe to enter. This makes one of the statements on door 1 true and one false, contrary to the first claim I just quoted from the manual.

Fortunately, I got past this puzzle anyway:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Nuntar at 12-29-2009 01:59 PM]
12-29-2009 at 01:56 PM
Nuntar
The nineteenth puzzle is unsolvable.

Some of the doors tell truth, some are lying.

Door 2 (brown). Sign reads:
At least one of the doors is safe to enter.

Door 3 (green). Sign reads:
Two of the doors, which lie are safe to enter.
At least one of the odd doors is safe to enter.

Door 4 (yellow). Sign reads:
Either all the doors tell truth, or they all are lying.

We know in advance that at least one door is always safe, so door 2 is true. Doors 1 and 4 say opposite things, so one is true and one is lying. This is what 1 says, so 1 is true and 4 is lying. If door 3 is true, then two lying doors are safe, but 4 would then be the only lying door, so 3 is lying.

Since 3 is lying, both odd doors are traps, so 3 is a trap. Since 3 and 4 are the only lying doors, this automatically makes the statement that two lying doors are safe false, as required. We have no more information, so it's impossible to deduce the status of doors 2 and 4.

12-29-2009 at 03:02 PM
DanielFishman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
Nuntar wrote:
The nineteenth puzzle is unsolvable.

We know in advance that at least one door is always safe, so door 2 is true. Doors 1 and 4 say opposite things, so one is true and one is lying. This is what 1 says, so 1 is true and 4 is lying. If door 3 is true, then two lying doors are safe, but 4 would then be the only lying door, so 3 is lying.

Since 3 is lying, both odd doors are traps, so 3 is a trap. Since 3 and 4 are the only lying doors, this automatically makes the statement that two lying doors are safe false, as required. We have no more information, so it's impossible to deduce the status of doors 2 and 4.

Possibly note what the user manual says in your first post? If the author thinks that if a lying door says "Two of green doors are safe" then "Two of green doors are traps" is true, then the first statement on door 3 tells us that both lying doors are traps, so 4 is not safe either, so 2 is safe.
12-29-2009 at 03:24 PM
Nuntar
I know, that's how I got past that puzzle :P Still thought it was worth mentioning, since the author needs to correct that statement in his user manual and that particular puzzle.

I'm up to puzzle 25 now... I see the percentage stops increasing at 105%, oddly. I really like the "signs on the floor" puzzles, by the way; in The Lady or the Tiger? Smullyan only had one of these but it was more of a gimmick than anything, because it was immediately obvious which way round the signs had to go; some of these are much more subtle.

12-29-2009 at 03:48 PM
Nuntar
How many rooms are there, anyway? I've got through the first 50 now, and the sign on my door, which happens to be a truthful one, says that I'm getting a little bored by now :P

12-29-2009 at 04:27 PM
petkish
icon Re: Look! Links! (+2)  
First of all, many thanks for the interest!

I really feel I am not working in vain. Currently I am working on quite a big upgrade to the puzzles, adding some actors there. The new version will be like a cross-over of 2 types of Smullyan's puzzles - the doors + knights/knaves.

Nuntar wrote:
Just a quick point about your user's manual:

* All green doors are safe. <-> At least one of the green doors is a trap.
    * Either all green doors are safe, or they all are traps.
 <-> Some green doors are safe, others of them are traps.
    * Two of green doors are safe. <-> Two of green doors are traps.

The last one doesn't follow. The logical negative of "Two of the green doors are safe" is "Either more than two or fewer than two of the green doors are safe".
Yes, right. The last rule does not follow the common logic's negation principle. To make the negation consistent, I am going to remove this one from the puzzles in the next version.

Nuntar wrote:
How many rooms are there, anyway? I've got through the first 50 now, and the sign on my door, which happens to be a truthful one, says that I'm getting a little bored by now :P
I want to say, that the puzzles are generated by a computer, they are not written anywhere, byt generated randomly on-the-fly. The number of puzzles is virtually endless.
Computer also ensures that every generated puzzle is consistent. Till now no unsolvable or inconsistent puzzles have been encountered, so I am quite sure the engine works properly (Except the moments when I have updated the software on site, and the software was buggy :) )
Just for info - if you have found a puzzle which looks like a bug in the puzzle engine, please post a link to it here, do not cite the door signs, because the link contains the seed by which I can check how the puzzle is generated.

Let's think about this one:
The green door is safe to enter.
The door number 2 is lying.

Door 2 (green). Sign reads:
Either all the doors are traps, or they all are safe to enter.
One of the doors is lying.

Door 3 (yellow). Sign reads:
Some of the yellow doors are traps, some are safe to enter.

Let's start with checking the expressions on door 2. If it tells truth, then all doors are safe to enter (all cannot be traps), then door3 lies, and door 2 should tell truth, because the first expression on door 1 is true. But the second expression on door 1 creates a problem - it is contrary to our speculation on the state of door 2 (that it tells truth.)
By this, we have proven that door 2 lies. What can we derive out of this fact?
(1) Some doors are traps, some are safe.
(2) Only one of doors tells truth.

Then which one tells truth? Look at door 1. It supposes that door 2 is lying, which is truth. The first expression there should be also true, means we can enter the door 2.
The door 3 is lying (2). Both of yellow doors are either traps, or safe. If they would be safe, it goes contrary to (1). So they are traps.

This one:

Door 2 tells truth, that is right.
If door 4 tells truth - then door 1 lies, which renders the expression on door 4 impossible. Door 4 lies, door 1 tells truth.
Now we are not sure about the door 3. If it tells truth, then there must be at least 2 lying doors. But we have only door 4 lying! Means, door 3 also lies.
Inverting the doors 3 expressions:
(1) Two of the doors which lie are traps.
(2) All the odd doors are traps.
We have solved the task with the following answer:
Door 1 truth, trap (2);
Door 2 truth, safe (because there must be a safe door!)
Doors 3 lies, trap (1);
Door 4 lies, trap (1);

Thanks again for your interest, have fun!
Kind regards,
Peter.

12-30-2009 at 02:13 PM
Nuntar
I see. The thing is, in both the above arguments you use the same faulty negation when dealing with a statement similar to "Two of the green doors are safe".

In particular, this step:
By this, we have proven that door 2 lies. What can we derive out of this fact?
(1) Some doors are traps, some are safe.
(2) Only one of doors tells truth.
Since door 2 says "One of the doors is lying" and lies, the actual conclusion is "Either none of the doors are lying, or at least two are". (But in this puzzle it doesn't matter, since door 2 is lying, so door 1 is telling the truth about door 2 lying, so the number of doors lying can't be none or all three, so in this case knowing that it's not exactly one does allow us to conclude that it's exactly two, so I was wrong about that -- this problem can be solved as presented.)

But then in the other problem:
Inverting the doors 3 expressions:
(1) Two of the doors which lie are traps.
It should be "Not exactly two of the doors that lie are safe." Since we know that there are exactly two doors that lie, either only one is safe or neither is, but in this case we can't deduce which.

12-30-2009 at 10:21 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
The real reason astronomy exists: to make pwerty pictures!
01-07-2010 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
A new take on an old classic - First Person Tetris :D

01-15-2010 at 08:00 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Oh god... I think I'm going to be sick.

01-15-2010 at 09:37 PM
Briareos
stigant wrote:
Oh god... I think I'm going to be sick.
:P

Come to think of it - shouldn't that rather be Third Person Tetris? It's more like the camera's over the block's shoulder... :D

np: Underworld - Mmm Skyscraper I Love You (DubNoBassWithMyHeadMan)

[Last edited by Briareos at 01-15-2010 10:19 PM]
01-15-2010 at 10:18 PM
<<44454647
Page 48 of 56
49505152>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Look! Links! (For posting cool links for all to see)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com