Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Fullscreen does not show complete game (OS X, retina display)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1228
IP: Logged

File: Screen Shot 2012-08-18 at 00.47.05.png (1.1 MB)
Downloaded 67 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Fullscreen does not show complete game (OS X, retina display) (+1)  
On my new MacBook Pro with retina display, the games don't display correctly on the screen when in fullscreen mode. This is a problem more games have at the moment, and Trine 2 was only recently updated to fix this.

I guess the retina display is the culprit here, as it has a resolution of 2880x1800, but scales it to 1440x900 to make things readable. I think DROD needs to handle that in a different way on this display than it does now.

I've attached a screenshot of how it looks on my screen.

[Last edited by slimm tom at 08-17-2012 11:51 PM]
08-17-2012 at 11:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Fullscreen does not show complete game (OS X, retina display) (+1)  
From what I can tell, it seems like when SDL requests what resolutions the computer can use, it will return things above your 1440x900, but will not actually *change to* those resolutions.

Apple does some weird thing when you change resolutions you use points instead of pixels, and since yours is set up to use 2x2 pixels per point, DROD is asking for a resolution too big.

Short term fix: Change your laptop to a different resolution. Looks like you can by default set it to use up to 1920 x 1200, but there's something out there that will let you run it at the native resolution as well.
Long term fix: Wait for a new version of SDL that supports retina displays and for DROD to be recompiled with it and code added to support it if needed.

08-18-2012 at 01:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1228
icon Re: Fullscreen does not show complete game (OS X, retina display) (+1)  
Schik wrote:
Short term fix: Change your laptop to a different resolution. Looks like you can by default set it to use up to 1920 x 1200, but there's something out there that will let you run it at the native resolution as well.
Changing the resolution to something different either through the default system options or a third-party app doesn't seem to work. I guess DROD (or SDL for that matter) forces its resolution no matter what.

EDIT: Found a solution. Disabling Dynamic Graphic Card Switching and forcing either the integrated or the dedicated card appears to solve the problem. This workaround apparently also worked for Trine http://frozenbyte.com/contact.php, bottom of the page), but they seem to have fixed the issue by now.

[Last edited by slimm tom at 08-18-2012 01:44 AM]
08-18-2012 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ESk
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
icon Re: Fullscreen does not show complete game (OS X, retina display) (0)  
Currently trying to play DRoD:TSS on a retina screen macbook and also can't.
I can see about1/2 of the screen; can't click on the appropriate options, but can use hot keys (like the interactive part of the game scaled, but the images didn't) -- maybe there's a setting in the game to change this, but I can't see the settings even after I open them...
07-03-2014 at 09:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Fullscreen does not show complete game (OS X, retina display)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com