Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : I'm Going on Holiday
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon I'm Going on Holiday (+1)  
Well, it seems that everyone else has already done so, i.e. many forum regulars have announced their own absences, so I guess it's my turn now to announce my departure for a while, although I'd guess that not many people would actually care.

I'm going to Malaysia in about 2 days' time, and will be gone for about 12 days.

I won't be on the forum for much of that time, but I may get a chance to log in once or twice if I can get my hands on a computer with an internet connection.

To Mike, Erik, and all the other developers, I have only one thing to say.

You'd better not release the JtRH Beta while I'm gone! :)

Only joking. If you release it, then that's your choice, not mine, and I suppose that I'll have to dribble elsewhere and try not to think about it.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 08-15-2004 at 09:26 PM GMT]

08-15-2004 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: I'm Going on Holiday (+1)  
Have a great time! I hope you enjoy yourself in Malaysia...

(is he gone? ok everyone - free copies of JtRH for everyone! woohoo!) ;)

08-16-2004 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
icon Re: I'm Going on Holiday (0)  
Woo, party! No more Agaricus!

What? I was kidding.

Seriously, have a great time! ;)
08-16-2004 at 05:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Heheh. Kuala Lumpur..
Well, enjoy yourself, Agaricus. Have a fine time.

08-16-2004 at 09:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Zmann wrote:
Woo, party! No more Agaricus!

:angry

:)

What? I was kidding.

You'd better have been. :)

Seriously, have a great time! ;)

Thanks.

I hope the weather will be good - it will be great to get out of the notoriously unpredictable British weather for a while into nearly permanent temperatures of more than 20 degrees Celcius, but torrential thunderstorms because of this are also quite common, I hear.

08-16-2004 at 12:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
May ye find reliable DSL and non-dysentery-inducing food and drink.

What?

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
08-16-2004 at 05:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Hey agaricus,

Before you go, I want to thank you for helping to test my hold.

So you are a malaysian then? ;)

Have fun!

08-16-2004 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
May the roaches be few and the beverages be plenty;
May the sun shine on you and the rain fall 3 kilometres away; :?
May the food be filling and delicious;
And, most importantly, may the beta be stalled until your return :)

-Patrick

08-17-2004 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Tim wrote:
Hey agaricus,

Before you go, I want to thank you for helping to test my hold.

Thanks, but also playing your hold and responding to it is in a way, my way of providing you with thanks. By offering your hold up for testing, you also offer me a service - a chance to play something different and see what sort of architect you are (while, of course, providing inspiration). So, I do you a service (testing) for doing me one (providing).

So you are a malaysian then? ;)

Have fun!

Interesting question.

I'm of British nationality, being born here, but both my parents were originally of Malaysian nationality. If you go back even further into our family tree, though, our ancestors originally came from China (one of the southern provinces, I think), so I probably would be classified as being Chinese, rather than Malay.

Gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
May the roaches be few and the beverages be plenty;
May the sun shine on you and the rain fall 3 kilometres away; :?

That's what I hope, although I'll be sort of moving around quite a bit, so the rain clouds will have to part as I pass. :)

I don't know about roaches, but there are other insects, most notably ants and mosquitoes, all over the place. In one of my relatives' homes, there even is an ant trail that appears at dusk and travels from one window (since it is so hot, they are not glazed) at the front of the house, along the wall and out from the kitchen window at the other end. I don't think they do any invading, though, as long as they are left alone.

May the food be filling and delicious;

That's partly why I'm going. All those delicious dishes from Asia to try, and all of them so fresh! You can even see them cooking the stuff in front of you if you eat from one of the street vendors.

Mmm.

You'r really stirring it up for me now. How am I supposed to last 13 hours on a plane if I can't stop thinking about the destination?

And, most importantly, may the beta be stalled until your return :)

Oh, yes. Definitely the top priority above all.

Do you hear me, developers? That means you! :P

08-17-2004 at 12:36 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
What's all this about a beta? We're making a game now?

Anyways, enjoy your trip, Ag! Malaysia's apparently quite nice this time of year.

Matt

08-17-2004 at 02:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Well, this is probably the last post I'll make for quite a while.

I'm going off to bed now, and will have to get up at 5:00 tomorrow morning.

So, thanks for the well-wishing - it's nice to know that people do care, even over the internet (i.e. I should be less cynical ;)). To the developers, good luck with the development of DROD 1.7. Hopefully by the time I return, I can catch up with all I've missed, and of course, hopefully the beta will not have been released yet.

Bye!

08-17-2004 at 10:29 PM
agaricus5
Well,

I'm finally back.

It's been a horribly long delay, about 3 weeks, since I promised to return, and since then, the thought of the things to catch up on has been unpleasant to think about, to say the least.

As for the excuses for why I pushed DROD to the bottom of the priority list?

Well, to begin with, the unpacking stage and sorting out of my life directly after coming back was quite time consuming, and I didn't have any time to do anything that I intended. Then came the preparation for school, which was also quite unpleasant, since I'd left quite a few things not done until the last minute.

Then came 6th form. After years of compulsory schooling, going into 6th form comes as quite a nasty shock, even if you have some idea about what it's all about. The notion of one having to do most of the organising and work, not your teacher, was very difficult to get used to, and for the first week and a half, I didn't even think about DROD, I admit.

However, my conscience has been nagging me about fixing Bavato's Dungeon, so I finally decided to break the cycle of apathy, and return to DROD.

I apologise for the problems, and will sort the hold out as soon as possible.

Hopefully I can catch up with all that I've missed, and get back to regular DRODing.

09-20-2004 at 12:18 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
agaricus5 wrote:
Well,

I'm finally back.

Hopefully I can catch up with all that I've missed, and get back to regular DRODing.
Well,

don't worry. You haven't missed anything.

Glad to see you're back! :thumbsup

-- Tim

09-20-2004 at 01:35 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
:hi back, Wesley. I didn't even know you were gone. No wonder you never made any replies to the post I made about going to New York this year. There is a bit about mushrooms in there.

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=3544&page=0#35409

Oh, and like Tim said, you didn't miss anything, besides the puzzle contest for this month. But the JtRH beta is still in session. I'm pretty sure the developers wouldn't want to get jealous because your absence was taken advantage of and you ended up being the only active member who didn't get a free copy of 1.7. :devil Besides, probably the only one to get a free copy would be the winner of the puzzle contest.

-Noah

[Edited by NoahT on 09-20-2004 at 12:46 AM GMT: Missed last post]

[Edited by NoahT on 09-20-2004 at 12:50 AM GMT: Comment]

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-20-2004 at 01:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
NoahT wrote:
:hi back, Wesley. I didn't even know you were gone.

Oh, well. My presence here doesn't make much of an impression, so that would be understandable.

Oh, and the JtRH beta is still in session (in case you didn't already know), so your wish has been fulfilled!

-Noah

I would probably have broken down if it had been released. Imagine apathy being the reason for me missing it! Arrrgh!

That's definitely more incentive to patrol the DROD Forums regularly.

09-20-2004 at 01:46 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
NoahT wrote:
Besides, probably the only one to get a free copy would be the winner of the puzzle contest.
Not true, there are at least three people so far who have secured themselves free copies of JtRH. If you scour the forums, you can even find who they are.

09-20-2004 at 03:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
:hi Welcome back,we all missed you. :wave: wesley

[Edited by rowrow on 09-20-2004 at 05:14 AM GMT]

09-20-2004 at 06:12 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
agaricus5 wrote:
Oh, and the JtRH beta is still in session (in case you didn't already know), so your wish has been fulfilled!

-Noah

I would probably have broken down if it had been released. Imagine apathy being the reason for me missing it! Arrrgh!

That's definitely more incentive to patrol the DROD Forums regularly.

Dude, like we would have released JtRH without you. Even if we had to hire ninjas and drag you in front of a computer.

Matt

09-20-2004 at 12:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
DiMono wrote:
If you scour the forums, you can even find who they are.
Why scour? As far as I know, the three people guatanteed a copy is Robobob3000(Songs of the Eighth), agaricus5(LNoTCH), and myself(Tourist). I'd link to each contest, but I'm too lazy.

09-20-2004 at 03:59 PM
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
Well, I'm oviously going to get a copy as well. Truly, my intellect is dizzying.
09-20-2004 at 04:08 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : I'm Going on Holiday
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com