Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : Room Construction Challenge #1 (Constant Room Templates)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Room Construction Challenge #1 (0)  
Level 6 was a very interesting level. It took a single room template and created 3 different puzzles for each room. In that spirit, I issue my challenge to all Master Architects.

Build a hold like Level 6 where the room templates are the same, but each room is different via enemies and door associations. To make it more challenging - see how many consecutive ones you can place in a row that each have different solutions. My requirements are:

1. The room has to be basically the same. If there is one or two minor changes, I probably won't care.

2. Have at least 4 consecutive rooms. The more the better, but please have them significantly different.

3. Please leave your hold Anyone-Edit. If turnout is good, I may make a collaboration hold with all of them together.

4. Use the whole room area. Don't just have a 6x6 square in the middle with a different enemie each time.

5. Make sure that the solution to each room is 50-100 moves off of the previous and next room.

6. Adding a different monster each time is NOT considered a different room. I'd like to see it be at least 5 monsters different from the other one. Wraithwings are excellent to add to rooms with pits.

Sounds pretty easy, eh? I'll be suprised if anyone does it, but it is an interesting proposition. I'll be posting one up soon as well. Have fun! :)

-Patrick

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 08-11-2004 at 01:10 AM GMT: Added #3]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 08-15-2004 at 09:30 PM GMT]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 08-16-2004 at 12:03 AM GMT]

08-11-2004 at 01:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: Room Construction Challenge (0)  
I'd like to do it a lot. However, there's a slight problem, as the computer on which my DROD is run is in the shop at the moment, so I won't be able to try for a while yet.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
08-11-2004 at 01:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Don't worry, hawk, if you hadn't said that nobody would have even known ;)

I might give this a go when I have a room idea... I'm sort of tapped out after Tar Caves, the contest hold, and the big long one I have in private beta right now.

08-11-2004 at 02:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Hey, really? Can I be a tester?

-well, in a week or two, when I get my computer back. :P

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
08-11-2004 at 03:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Patrick,

How do you define "different solutions"?

Is, for example, that hold called "The Arena" (you've probably seen it, I just don't remember where it is.) valid?

Can I add one roach each time and call it to have a different solution?

08-15-2004 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
You have a good point there, Tim. Let me set up a couple more guidlines to follow. Numbers 4,5,6 are all new ones posted today.

That should take care of the rest. I can't wait to see what people will come up for this. If you want to add/subtract a rule, let me know.

-Patrick

08-15-2004 at 10:29 PM
gamer_extreme_101

File: Repeats.hold (4.5 KB)
Downloaded 100 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Room Construction Challenge #1 (0)  
Well, I'll start off this challenge with my hold: Repeats.

Repeats consists of 4 puzzle rooms, all of which have the same basic template, although each one does have subtle changes that are noticeable on the map.

I credit the idea for room 1 to Doom and his eyeball maze in ND(Level 3, can't remember coordinates). The second part was something I added to fill in the top space.

Room 2 is similar to a room in level 24 of KDD, but isn't as open.

Room 3 is a clever idea that I had while making. I won't say any more, but I find it my best room of the four.

Room 4 is, unfortunately, something I had to whip together quickly because I was running out of ideas. :? I may scrap it and replace it if I find it too cheap.

I do invite everyone else to try making them. They really stretch the creativity of a person and can be very difficult and very fun at the same time.

-Patrick

Edit: I fixed up my version to add a couple of checkpoints, and, biggest of all, made sure it followed rule #3. Enjoy!

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 08-16-2004 at 11:24 PM GMT]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 08-17-2004 at 03:15 PM GMT]

08-16-2004 at 07:59 PM
Tim
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Well, I'll start off this challenge with my hold: Repeats.

Repeats consists of 4 puzzle rooms, all of which have the same basic template, although each one does have subtle changes that are noticeable on the map.

[...]

I do invite everyone else to try making them. They really stretch the creativity of a person and can be very difficult and very fun at the same time.

-Patrick

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 08-16-2004 at 09:34 PM GMT]

Patrick,

I've tried the hold. Interesting.

Some small points though:

1: Why did you violate rule 3?
2: Is the third room really so simple? ;)
3: Can we use our own template, or should we choose to use the same template? In that case, we can get one template out and everybody can join (preferable one with four exits in the directions.) and join them together to make a very large matrix ;)

A nice hold by the way...

I will make one as well, but I am not a master architect...

08-16-2004 at 11:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Tim wrote:
Patrick,

I've tried the hold. Interesting.

Some small points though:

1: Why did you violate rule 3?
2: Is the third room really so simple? ;)
3: Can we use our own template, or should we choose to use the same template? In that case, we can get one template out and everybody can join (preferable one with four exits in the directions.) and join them together to make a very large matrix ;)

A nice hold by the way...

I will make one as well, but I am not a master architect...
The majority of the mistakes had a good reason...

ALWAYS PLAYTEST BEFORE YOU UPLOAD!!!

My excuse, however, was that it was early in the morning and I hadn't fully turned my brain on yet :) .

I don't want to use a "template" per say, as it would limit ideas. Create one yourself, and I'll fit it in. I'll just end up making a master hallway and will get rid of my fancy unrequired rooms.

And Tim...don't worry that you aren't a "master architect". I'm not, nor will I probably ever be. As long as a single person enjoys your hold, you've made a difference. :) I'll release the "Afternoon-Patrick-Is-Finally-Awake-And-Can-Properly-Release-A-Hold-That-Shouldn't-Have-Too-Many-Errors" in a second in the original post.

BTW...I'll try to make room 3 a bit harder ;) .

-Patrick

08-17-2004 at 12:08 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:

I credit the idea for room 1 to Doom and his eyeball maze in FoE(Level 3, can't remember coordinates). The second part was something I added to fill in the top space.

Sorry but It's not FoE but ND :)

I've been also making a mini hold with this theme.

It's almost ready (It's 5 rooms long but 2 of them are not completed yet)
08-17-2004 at 10:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim

File: Tim Repeats.hold (4.6 KB)
Downloaded 89 times.
icon Re: Room Construction Challenge #1 (+2)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
And Tim...don't worry that you aren't a "master architect". I'm not, nor will I probably ever be. As long as a single person enjoys your hold, you've made a difference. :) I'll release the "Afternoon-Patrick-Is-Finally-Awake-And-Can-Properly-Release-
A-Hold-That-Shouldn't-Have-Too-Many-Errors" in a second in the original post.

BTW...I'll try to make room 3 a bit harder ;) .
-Patrick

Patrick,

[BTW. I do enjoy the hold. I never though I would persevere to finish that one. I usually lost my interest in a few minutes, but your hold was somehow interesting enough.]

I find the newer version of room 3 actually a bit of repetitive. Using the sequence
Click here to view the secret text
for all of your goblins is not my idea of fun. ;) In that case, bring back the old version then...

Now try my rooms :bounce

Since Doom wants to do 5, he can do it (please do, we need as many as we can). Here's one with 6. It only costs me some hours, so it is nothing really like Simplicity, but only involves a lot of hack and slash ;)
They are all solvable though. (I think...)

You can add them to your hold as well, although I do reserve the right to add them into any of my later holds, alright?

Click to the left to download my set of holds. They still need playtesting though!

It just cost me some hours today, but it was fun. And now I will leave home ;)

[BTW, Since you liked the idea of an eye maze so much, I've put one in as well, in 3E. Idea comes from -of course- you.]

[Edited by Tim on 08-17-2004 at 01:44 PM GMT: Added the reason for the eye maze.]

[Edited by Tim on 09-07-2004 at 09:03 PM GMT: Shortened the text to fit into my browser window.]

08-17-2004 at 02:32 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Doom wrote:
Sorry but It's not FoE but ND :)
Well, fine then Mr. Picky-Fussy-Choosey. :) I'll go edit that post.

Good job on the hold Tim! I was amazed at how much you could do in a checkerboard pattern. I only had a quick morning *YAWN* glance at it, but here are my comments that I remember. :?

-1&3&4 are definitly possible.
-6 has tar shooting out faster then you can kill it. I may be wrong, but you might want to get rid of a blob...
-I see you owned a Super Nintendo at one point....:)

And Doom...can't wait to see your piece of work!

-Patrick

08-17-2004 at 04:15 PM
Tim
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Good job on the hold Tim! I was amazed at how much you could do in a checkerboard pattern. I only had a quick morning *YAWN* glance at it, but here are my comments that I remember. :?

-1&3&4 are definitly possible.
-6 has tar shooting out faster then you can kill it. I may be wrong, but you might want to get rid of a blob...
-I see you owned a Super Nintendo at one point....:)
-Patrick

OK. I'm not giving any hints yet, but I have tried and they all are solvable. They are sorted on difficulty/intelligence... ;)

[BTW. What makes you think I have a SNES? I don't get it.]

[Edited by Tim on 08-17-2004 at 03:47 PM GMT]

08-17-2004 at 04:38 PM
gamer_extreme_101
OK. I'm not giving any hints yet, but I have tried and they all are solvable. They are sorted on difficulty/intelligence...
I don't doubt that. I just need to take a new approach to a couple of them, that's all.

[BTW. What makes you think I have a SNES? I don't get it.]
A certain game for SNES had a level that has the same title as your level, that's all. I assumed you named it after the game, but I guess I was wrong.

-Patrick

08-17-2004 at 05:22 PM
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
Tim wrote:
OK. I'm not giving any hints yet, but I have tried and they all are solvable. They are sorted on difficulty/intelligence... ;)

Just finished it. Good job, definitely worth using in a "real" hold sometime.

I was surprised to see the unbrained roaches were more trouble than the brained ones. Rooms 5 and 6 didn't really seem possible at first; thank god for checkpoints :)

The only minor quibbles would be with the eye maze. The brains really don't add anything other than aesthetic appeal. Also, most eye groups could be killed from the first direction you approach without triggering any of them. It got a little on the monotonous side doing the same thing with each square.
08-17-2004 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226

File: Repetition.hold (5 KB)
Downloaded 83 times.
icon Re: Room Construction Challenge #1 (+1)  
Ok, it's finished. I tried to make complex and different rooms. The testing took a long time because it was difficult to get some things fit in the room without changing it too much...
08-18-2004 at 02:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
icon Re: Room Construction Challenge #1 (+1)  
I like the idea of this construction challenge, so here is my shot at it. The hold is two levels, one for each floor plan I modified.
08-18-2004 at 07:42 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
There seems to be a problem with Thrice North on Deja Vu in Similarity... I can't kill the brain :dontgetit Have you playtested the rooms properly?

08-19-2004 at 02:13 AM
gamer_extreme_101
There is a problem with the last one as well. The goblins are contained in a 3x2 area inside a larger area with the only exits being a blue door and a North door, and there are no mimics avalible to kill them either. :dontgetit

-Patrick

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 08-19-2004 at 01:24 AM GMT]

08-19-2004 at 02:23 AM
brian_s

File: Similarity.hold (7.9 KB)
Downloaded 79 times.
AAARRRGGGHHH! I have a nasty habit of editing rooms after testing, and it looks like it caught up to me.

Fixes: Deja Vu 4N: Swapped green door and yellow door.
Second Look 2W: Removed some queens.

As for 3N,

Fixed: Deja Vu 2N: Now possible to kill the brain.

[Edited by brian_s on 08-19-2004 at 09:02 PM GMT: Another room fix]
08-19-2004 at 01:19 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
brian_s wrote:
As for 3N,
I have a nasty habit of writing down the wrong room coordinates... :twak 2N was the room I was referring to.

08-19-2004 at 01:56 PM
brian_s
Stefan wrote:
brian_s wrote:
As for 3N,
I have a nasty habit of writing down the wrong room coordinates... :twak 2N was the room I was referring to.

Its bad habit day here!

This time everything should be good. But I am ready to eat my words.
08-19-2004 at 10:05 PM
Tim
Just in case, Patrick has collected all the holds in here and put it in the Architecture Forum.

The challenge is still open though -we didn't defined any closing dates ;) -, so you can still submit, and if Patrick has time, he will probably add them.

[Edited by Tim on 08-21-2004 at 01:13 PM GMT]
08-21-2004 at 01:58 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : Room Construction Challenge #1 (Constant Room Templates)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com