Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD Must Be Restarted To Refresh Hold List (wherein I report a minor bug)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Trickster
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 662
IP: Logged
icon DROD Must Be Restarted To Refresh Hold List (+2)  
The only way to refresh the list of holds fully is by exiting DROD and then opening it again, even though it takes the hour+ couple of minutes needed to scan all my DROD files and presumably reload everything from the server each time I open the hold modification window (either from hold select, or "manage holds" in Build).

Two examples when this can happen:

1) A hold you're beta-ing is updated while you have the game on. Sorry bucko, gotta power-cycle that TCB engine.

2) You delete a CN-registered hold from your computer. (Why? Maybe you want to re-check the rating and the only way to see the rating is to not have it installed. Or, maybe you want to remove it for now, but leave it in the list of holds to see where it falls on some other axis.) Whoops! It's gone forever. No, wait, you just have to exit TCB and re-open it. (Styles don't have this issue, surprisingly.)

I assume this lack of refresh has to do with TCB caching...something. But whatever it caches doesn't make it skip the five-minute-step of reading my bajillion hold files each time I open the window, so it seems unnecessary. At the very least there should be a reload command.

Anyway, I didn't remember this ever being mentioned, so there you have it. Pretty low-importance even compared to all the other low-importance bugs I find, though.

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

[Last edited by Trickster at 03-05-2012 03:34 AM : removed exaggeration]
03-04-2012 at 09:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: DROD Must Be Restarted To Refresh Hold List (0)  
There must be something very wrong with your installation if hitting the "Manage" button in the editor takes ages - for me (with about half of all CaravelNet hold installed) it takes a split second for the manage screen to appear, and about 10 seconds from double-clicking on DROD.exe to the main menu.

Granted, this is on a machine with 8 GB of RAM, a quad-core Intel i7 processor and an SSD, but unless you have only a tiny amount of RAM (like, what, 1GB?) all the files needed to reload TCB and build that list should be in Windows' disk cache, and it's not very CPU-intensive either...

np: Wiley - Confused ft. Manga (Evolve Or Be Extinct (Disc 2))

[Last edited by Briareos at 03-04-2012 01:42 PM]
03-04-2012 at 01:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Trickster wrote:
Anyway, that really doesn't have much to do with the bug I mentioned.
It might not, but it is a (rather nasty, wouldn't you agree?) bug on it's own and seriously deserves it's own bug report thread... *hint hint*

np: Mouse On Mars - Syncropticians (Parastrophics)

03-04-2012 at 10:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Trickster wrote:
I don't understand why it wouldn't take a long time to load all of those up, since it has to load each file separately into memory to know if I've 100%'d it or not.
See, that's the thing - it doesn't do that before you get to use that screen, i.e. it only does those calculations while you don't move the mouse.

So unless you absolutely need that information the screen is perfectly usable as soon as it appears - and we were talking the editor, so why you'd need that information for holds you're working on kinda escapes me...
You may just have a more powerful system than you give yourself credit for.
Upgrading it a bit every year does help, but I wouldn't really call it that powerful - my current graphics card was top of the line 2 years ago, for instance...

03-04-2012 at 11:04 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: DROD Must Be Restarted To Refresh Hold List (+1)  
Not sure which version you're running but please apply the latest patch. Lazy loading of the hold list (as Briareos points out) was implemented a (very) long time ago...
03-24-2012 at 07:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Trickster wrote:
The only way to refresh the list of holds fully is by exiting DROD and then opening it again...

Two examples when this can happen:

1) A hold you're beta-ing is updated while you have the game on. Sorry bucko, gotta power-cycle that TCB engine.
Yes, the CaravelNet hold list information is loaded and cached when you login. This typically happens on startup. The situation of needing to restart the game because a beta hold just got published is so relatively rare, I'd rather players not have to incur the cost of waiting while the game rechecks the online hold list every time they enter the hold selection screen. It's a trade-off, and I'm not planning to change this.
2) You delete a CN-registered hold from your computer. (Why? Maybe you want to re-check the rating and the only way to see the rating is to not have it installed. Or, maybe you want to remove it for now, but leave it in the list of holds to see where it falls on some other axis.) Whoops! It's gone forever. No, wait, you just have to exit TCB and re-open it.
This is a bug. It was a one-liner to fix resynching the hold info with what you have installed after deleting one or more holds. This will be fixed in the next published version of 3.3 (if any), in 4.0.2, and in the next version of DROD RPG.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-12-2012 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
I'd like to work on fixing this, but I need your help. I've sent you a PM with more details.

04-21-2012 at 02:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: DROD Must Be Restarted To Refresh Hold List (+4)  
[Post Deleted] Trickster wrote:
mrimer wrote:
I'd like to work on fixing this, but I need your help. I've sent you a PM with more details.
I'll send in an hour; sorry for the delay.
Thank you!

With your help, I was able to optimize the player progress lookups on the Hold Management Screen in a couple of ways. First, cache the progress information, as you suggested. Second, allow several fast lookups to be performed at once, minimizing the time you have to wait to have all the values populated. With these changes, on my (pretty fast) computer, it only took one second to scan and mark up your entire hold list. And clicking on the hold filter options at the top of the screen after that point now takes no time at all.

This will be in 4.0.2.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-25-2012 10:11 PM]
04-25-2012 at 10:11 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
mrimer wrote:
With these changes, on my (pretty fast) computer, it only took one second to scan and mark up your entire hold list.
:blink

04-25-2012 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
Mike, I tested this and it was super-duper fast.

But the holds won't sort any more. They're in some non-alphabetical order and no matter which sort option I click the order doesn't change.

04-26-2012 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Schik wrote:
Mike, I tested this and it was super-duper fast.

But the holds won't sort any more. They're in some non-alphabetical order and no matter which sort option I click the order doesn't change.
Thank you, Matt. I did break this, and one other thing. I've fixed these. The changes won't affect the speedup.

04-26-2012 at 03:53 AM
Schik
One more thing, Mike - I just realized that I can no longer download holds in-game after this change...

04-30-2012 at 05:29 AM
Schik
icon Re: DROD Must Be Restarted To Refresh Hold List (+2)  
Schik wrote:
One more thing, Mike - I just realized that I can no longer download holds in-game after this change...
This was bugging me so I fixed it. Mike, if you could take a look at my fix that would be great - I don't quite understand what the old code was attempting to do.

05-03-2012 at 09:16 PM
mrimer
Schik wrote:
Schik wrote:
This was bugging me so I fixed it. Mike, if you could take a look at my fix that would be great - I don't quite understand what the old code was attempting to do.
Thank you, Matt. Your fix was good. I tweaked it to match a simpler way that is consistent with how the rest of that class is designed.

Here's an explanation: the old way that non-local holds were identified in the hold list is that they were maintained as a vector, with the CNet holds being given a "0" key value. Now, as part of this optimization, they are maintained as a map, with each non-local hold having a distinct negative int value. I needed to update this zero-key check with a negative value check.

05-04-2012 at 03:31 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD Must Be Restarted To Refresh Hold List (wherein I report a minor bug)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com