Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Cluttered Cutter's Guttural But Buttery Stuttering Utterance Mutters Sputter, Shutter (wherein I report that which again is probably not a bug)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Trickster
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 662
IP: Logged
icon Cluttered Cutter's Guttural But Buttery Stuttering Utterance Mutters Sputter, Shutter (0)  
This isn't really a set of bugs. It's a set of inconsistencies in the "you beat the room" notifications that may or may not be intentional.

* If you beat a room on turn 0, Beethro won't react with his "all clear" sound effect set. (I started looking at this behavior when I became confused and mistakenly thought I was unable to beat a room during testing.)

* If you undo after conquering a room (one move, or UU), then reconquer the room, Beethro skips the sound effect (even if you undo all the way to turn 0). However, if you restore (even restore by a single move), he does make the sound.

* If you kill a monster on turn 0 there is initially no sound or graphic splatter (or even any indication a monster was there, unless it was a rock golem or rock giant in which case the pile of squirming rocks beneath your sword gives it away). However, if you move once, then undo, the sound and splatter both magically appear. The sound and splatter also both magically appear whenever you restart to turn 0 with 'R'. (It seems like it would be better just to have them always appear, in case you killing one or more monsters on entering was relevant.)

* If you kill a monster by standing on it on turn 0, it disappears and leaves no trace. However, sound effects may be triggered by its removal (the brain drain sound, for one).

* I'm sure this last one is intentional, but just for completeness: Beethro only makes the conquer room sound the first time a room is conquered. Meaning, if it becomes unconquered, he won't make the sound anymore. This is even true if you beat a room on turn 0, then create monsters from stuff, which causes this to be the first time the room will appear red on your map if this is first visit: he still won't make the sound.

This last case illustrates one of the problematic issues with masking a turn 0 victory: the player would not realize that, upon entering an apparently-empty tarstuff room, making tar babies will cause the room to switch from being an "empty" room to a puzzle room. The only way for the player to disambiguate anytime they enter an empty room with stuff is to hit the 'R' key immediately to check.

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

[Last edited by Trickster at 02-02-2012 05:24 PM]
02-02-2012 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Cluttered Cutter's Guttural But Buttery Stuttering Utterance Mutters Sputter, Shutter (wherein I report that which again is probably not a bug)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com