Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Hidato (Tiny Adaption Example)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3117
IP: Logged

File: Hidato.hold (31.9 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Hidato (+5)  
As an experiment, I decided to see how you would implement Hidato in DROD without using scripting. Here's the result.

Whilst there *is* scripting in this hold, it's only to indicate which checkpoint you should move towards next by what turn. All the underlying mechanics that implement the ruleset is done without scripting.

The adaption works with any 10x10 Hidato grid (though obviously, it's not simple to convert, since you'd need to adapt the playing field as necessary).

The puzzle itself is not original, and was taken from the Hidato Daily Adventure, namely the puzzle they released on Jan 15th. I've no intention of promoting this, so I'm just using that particular puzzle as an example adaptation.

Bear in mind that due to the nature of the puzzle, there is only one solution. It's a lot more difficult to solve Hidato in DROD than it is on paper, so feel free to use such. (Or visit one of the sites that hosts the Hidato Daily Adventure: the Jan 15th puzzle should still be there.)

EDIT: Updated hold a little with a couple additional puzzles and new system for showing where to go next.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 06-08-2012 10:33 PM]
01-24-2012 at 01:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3117
IP: Logged
icon Re: Hidato (+3)  
I've uploaded a new version with a different system of showing where to go, which should be nicer with regards to working with screenshots and making it easier to plan ahead.

Two new puzzles have also been added: one much easier than the original to get you used to the idea of Hidato, and one much harder if the Daily Adventure puzzle wasn't tricky enough. The easier puzzle I put together myself, but the difficult one is taken from another fun little puzzle site: janko.at.

As usual, DROD isn't exactly the *ideal* medium in which to solve these puzzles, but I still think the adaption mechanic is pretty interesting, so if you're curious... well, have fun.
06-08-2012 at 10:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Hidato (Tiny Adaption Example)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com