Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Retro DROD (Memories of Webfoot(R) DROD)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged

File: GeneralTiles.bmp (294.1 KB)
Downloaded 172 times.
License: Other
icon Retro DROD (+1)  
This was a tileset that I was fiddling around with. The only change to it is that the doors went retro. It's a nice tileset for all the people who have never played DROD to see what started the DROD craze, and it's good for veteran smitemasters who want to remenise about how different DROD was in the last millenium.

And besides....it's the closest people can get to Webfoot DROD unless you got it before Caravel ;) .

07-27-2004 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Retro DROD (0)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
And besides....it's the closest people can get to Webfoot DROD unless you got it before Caravel ;) .
Hey, this is great. We could also change the Beethro faces so they look like the old one. :smile

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-27-2004 at 06:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
mrimer wrote:
Hey, this is great. We could also change the Beethro faces so they look like the old one. :smile
Edit: I tried to get the faces working, but it would be too much of a hassle. Because the origional face is position much lower, it would be too hard, leaving me to choose not to do it.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-27-2004 at 06:13 PM GMT]

07-27-2004 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Retro DROD (+1)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Yeah. I should do a complete Webfoot conversion....I'd just need to make sure Erik was OK with it before I continue on.
I'm basically fine with it, but you really need to be careful to do it the right way. I'm assuming you want to distribute everything in one nice package, as opposed to just dropping some files on the board with instructions on how to use them. Here's what you need to do:

1. Give this distribution a unique name such as "RetroDROD", but nothing using "Webfoot" or "Caravel" since it would cause confusion.

2. In the help file or a readme file, you should provide an explanation of your project and state that all of the source code for it is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/drod/ licensed under Mozilla Public License 1.1. The "licenses" directory currently installed with DROD should be included in your distribution.

3. Don't use the technical support or upcoming games sections from the old Webfoot help files.

4. You shouldn't display any Webfoot logos, company name, or contact information. We must do this to avoid copyright infringement in the case of the logos, and not generate support contacts or other hassles for Webfoot related to your release.

5. If you plan to distribute the older music that Lars wrote, you should contact Lars, explain what you are doing and ask for his permission. I am 95% sure he'll be fine with it, but you need to ask. For his e-mail go to http://www.activitone.net/contact.htm .

What a pain, eh? With the exception of #5, (I instead replaced Lars' music with mine) these are steps I also had to go through to make the first version of Caravel DROD legit. If you just want to drop some files on the board, #1 doesn't apply, #2 and #3 only apply if you are releasing an older version of the help file, and for #5, you would just state that the music files are not to be distributed outside of the forum.

-Erik

07-27-2004 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Just to let you know: I've decided not to do it because of a couple reasons...most of which boil down to projects already started and future use of time. However, I will remember those rules in case I ever do something to that effect.

Thanks anyway!

07-27-2004 at 07:45 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Was there THAT much difference between webfoot and and caravel DROD...? :?
08-25-2004 at 01:52 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Most of the differences between CDROD and WDROD are graphical and sound effects. The music was made by a different person and Beethro's faces were different.

-Patrick

08-25-2004 at 02:21 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
The other main differences:

- There were no checkpoints in Webfoot DROD.
- It had a less robust save system - it didn't automatically save your progress.
- It had a mode where there was a time limit to make each move.
- It had a different, far less satisfying, ending (basically, just a screen with some info on it).
- No editor or user holds.

08-25-2004 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
Rank Points: 333
eytanz wrote:- It had a less robust save system - it didn't automatically save your progress.
But, if you knew where to look, you could download savegames that let you play any level you wanted. That's the only way I was able to play levels 24 and 25.
- It had a mode where there was a time limit to make each move.
I miss that mode. Hitting the "skip a turn" key manually whenever I think for too long just isn't the same. :D
08-26-2004 at 02:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
When I had Webfoot Drod a while back I used the save files to skip to level 24 (and I was at a level 5 playing level) to see what it was like. Boy was it tough, I thought every room was just impossible.
08-26-2004 at 05:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
I had the demo to webfoot DROD, and I didnt know a new version of DROD existed until my mate found it on the internet! I didnt think of buying it or even ooking for it on the internet because I thought it was really old, but it turns out that it wasnt!

When I got to level 4 I actually said "woah!" and the checkpoints were well-appreciated on the levels after that as well. And I think that the timer function was extremely annoying when I set it on about 30 secs or something. I dont know why you miss it.
:no
08-31-2004 at 05:59 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Retro DROD (Memories of Webfoot(R) DROD)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com