Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : 1st Place disappears
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
IP: Logged
icon 1st Place disappears (0)  
Got a quick question here. Earlier today I was playing a hold and got a first place going through a post-mastery wall. I'd already had a tied first place before (just exiting the room the normal way)

I saw it in my list of 1st place scores.

A little while later I was checking what rooms I had left to complete in the post-master section when that room popped back up (which I'd already been through twice, once with a tied first and second with a first).

So I completed it again and again it popped up as a first place score and this time I saw it in the high score lists as awaiting verification. A short time later it was gone again.

I don't know if someone is manually removing the score or not, but it seems like a bug if a legitimate tied first is removed once one gets a first which is then removed, if that makes sense. I think this has happened to me in the past as well and I'm curious to know why.

10-21-2011 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: 1st Place disappears (+1)  
west.logan wrote:
Got a quick question here. Earlier today I was playing a hold and got a first place going through a post-mastery wall. I'd already had a tied first place before (just exiting the room the normal way)

I saw it in my list of 1st place scores.

A little while later I was checking what rooms I had left to complete in the post-master section when that room popped back up (which I'd already been through twice, once with a tied first and second with a first).

So I completed it again and again it popped up as a first place score and this time I saw it in the high score lists as awaiting verification. A short time later it was gone again.

I don't know if someone is manually removing the score or not, but it seems like a bug if a legitimate tied first is removed once one gets a first which is then removed, if that makes sense. I think this has happened to me in the past as well and I'm curious to know why.
Any demo including any type of interaction with a mastery wall will automatically be removed. This can take some time though, as is the case when you get a one move first score in a monster less room.

I know the feeling of being cheated of your score though, so it should be more clear that these demos are invalid I think.

10-21-2011 at 07:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: 1st Place disappears (0)  
And that's fine, if this is the way things are defined. What bothered me though is that my previous "legitimate" score was now gone too, meaning I had a room left incomplete in the hold. Unless I'd been paying attention, I might have missed that.

10-21-2011 at 07:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: 1st Place disappears (+1)  
CaravelNet accepts your score as beating your old 1st, so removes your old score and sends your new one as awaiting verification.

It then fails verification because demos that pass into a Master Wall are not acceptable as high scores. Whilst you may enter on *top* of a Master Wall, you cannot move onto a Master Wall during the course of the demo.

Thus, your new score is deleted, but your old score is not reinstated because it was already discarded by your new score.

Ideally, DROD should not submit demos that pass through a Master Wall to CaravelNet. They should still be flagged as *victory* demos though, because you did score a victory, even if you left via a manner not supported by CaravelNet. Also ideally, old scores should not be deleted until the new one passes verification.

In short, you should avoid uploading faster victory demos that end by passing through Master Walls. Waiting lots on top of the Master Wall can achieve this, as an example. It's not an ideal solution, but it's the easiest we've got right now.
10-21-2011 at 07:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : 1st Place disappears
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com