Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Can't run Drod after installing 3.3 patch
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kafka
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
IP: Logged
icon Can't run Drod after installing 3.3 patch (0)  
I've just installed the Drod 3.3 patch, and I can no longer open Drod. I get the error message "Cannot access Drod data". I'm able to run the programme as an administrator, but that doesn't find my progress. Where has it disappeared to, and how can I regain it?

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-02-2011 06:59 AM]
10-10-2011 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Can't run Drod after installing patch (0)  
Standard questions first:

Which version of Windows?
Which user did you used to install the original version, and the patch?
Screenshot of the DROD directory would be nice.

Oh, and make a backup of that directory, if you haven't did that.

[Last edited by Tim at 10-10-2011 12:30 AM]
10-10-2011 at 12:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: Can't run Drod after installing patch (+1)  
Also important to know would be the directory in which DROD is installed and the contents of DataPath.txt in that directory. (Probably best to just attach DataPath.txt to your post.)

One of 3.3's most recent changes is a move to storing some things in Application Data rather than the installation folder, but the aim is to make it backwards compatible with previous versions too.
10-10-2011 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kafka
First, I have done a system restore, and have my progress back. I use Windows 7 64-bit. Original Drod version was 3.2.1.89; patch was 3.3.0.93. Drod is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath; I don't seem to have a DataPath.txt file.

10-10-2011 at 01:14 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Short post: I don't have Win 7 (or 64-bit), I hope someone else can help you here.
10-10-2011 at 01:20 AM
tonyk
Kafka wrote:
First, I have done a system restore, and have my progress back. I use Windows 7 64-bit. Original Drod version was 3.2.1.89; patch was 3.3.0.93. Drod is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath; I don't seem to have a DataPath.txt file.

I'm running the same version and upgraded the same way without any issues but I didn't locate the install in the Program Files directories.

10-10-2011 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Kafka wrote:
I'd like to help you troubleshoot this. I have Windows 7 64-bit also, and have TCB installed in the same dir as you. The DataPath.txt file should be in that very directory. Do you normally have to run 3.2.1 as administrator in order to play?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-21-2011 02:11 AM]
10-21-2011 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kafka
I have searched the computer, and found that Datapath.txt is in C:\Users\Kafka\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath. I do not normally have to run the programme as an administrator.
Content of Datapath.txt: "C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath\Data;C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath\Data;"

[Last edited by Kafka at 10-21-2011 08:49 AM]
10-21-2011 at 08:07 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Kafka wrote:
I have searched the computer, and found that Datapath.txt is in C:\Users\Kafka\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath. I do not normally have to run the programme as an administrator.
Content of Datapath.txt: "C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath\Data;C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath\Data;"
Delete that datapath.txt, then run DROD as administrator once - whenever a non-administrator tries to write a file somewhere under "C:\Program Files" (with or withour "(x86)"), Windows will redirect it to that other folder...

np: Tim Hecker - Radio Spiricom (Harmony In Ultraviolet)

10-21-2011 at 06:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kafka
OK, I've done that, and Datapath.txt is back where it should be. Which is where I was a few weeks ago, when I tried to install the patch. So how do I do that?

10-21-2011 at 06:11 PM
mrimer
Kafka wrote:
OK, I've done that, and Datapath.txt is back where it should be. Which is where I was a few weeks ago, when I tried to install the patch. So how do I do that?
Sorry, I don't understand the question. Are you asking "How do I install the patch?"

10-22-2011 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kafka
I started this thread when I had problems installing the patch; the search for Datapath.txt followed.

I have again tried to install the patch. Again, when I try to open Drod, I get the error message "Cannot access Drod data". I can run Drod as an administrator, but that doesn't find my progress.

10-22-2011 at 05:52 PM
mrimer
Kafka wrote:
I started this thread when I had problems installing the patch; the search for Datapath.txt followed.

I have again tried to install the patch. Again, when I try to open Drod, I get the error message "Cannot access Drod data". I can run Drod as an administrator, but that doesn't find my progress.
Okay, gotcha. Thank you. I have isolated the problem and the fix is simple. I'll be posting an updated beta patch version here presently. Would you please verify it works for you?

10-22-2011 at 06:15 PM
Kafka
OK. I have just done another system restore, and got my progress back again. Please let me know when the updated patch is posted.

By the way Mike, please check your email; I have written to you a couple of times about problems renewing my subscription by PayPal.

[Last edited by Kafka at 10-22-2011 06:19 PM]
10-22-2011 at 06:18 PM
mrimer
It's posted now. I've verified that this fix works on my Windows 7 system.

Oi -- sorry about not responding to your e-mails. I've been 100% focused on the Next Big Project this week and have been neglecting my inbox. I'll catch up on that today.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-22-2011 06:54 PM]
10-22-2011 at 06:34 PM
Kafka
I've installed the updated patch, but still face the same problem; Drod won't open, if I run as an admin my progress is missing.

10-22-2011 at 07:33 PM
mrimer
Kafka wrote:
I've installed the updated patch, but still face the same problem; Drod won't open, if I run as an admin my progress is missing.
I've tried out all the different configurations I can think of, and they are all operating as I would expect. I'm not sure of the state of your DROD installation, so I will need more specific details from you.

Here are the different ways DROD can be running with 3.3:

1. The player .dat files (i.e. player.dat, hold.dat, save.dat, text.dat, and data.dat) are in the DROD install directory in Program Files. You will need Administrator privileges to run the game, as before.
2. You player .dat files are in ProgramData/Caravel/drod-3_0. You should not need administrator privileges to run the game any more when using player files in this location.

Can you tell me where your player .dat files are located? Do you have a copy in neither location? Both locations? What are their dates and sizes?

Next configuration setting -- the DataPath.txt file. This identifies where your player files are and where the main game installation is.

1. You have a DataPath.txt file in the DROD install folder.
2. You have a DataPath.txt files in ProgramData/Caravel/drod-3_0.
3. You have one in both locations.
4. You have one in neither location.

Which one of these matches your current set up? Also, what are the contents (once more, for clarity, please) of the file or files?

If, for instance, you have a DataPath.txt file pointing at a location without player .dat files, then the game natrally won't load your previous player data files. It will make fresh ones at that location.

Once I know these details, I can help you troubleshoot further.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-22-2011 08:34 PM]
10-22-2011 at 08:23 PM
Kafka
The .dat files are in C:\Users\Kafka\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath\Data

Datapath.txt is in c:\ProgramData\Caravel\drod-3_0 It has no content.

10-22-2011 at 08:33 PM
mrimer
Hmm...having an empty DataPath.txt file won't work, since the game won't be able to get any information from it as to where the player files are. Please delete it and try again.

10-22-2011 at 08:35 PM
Kafka
I've found another Datapath.txt in C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath. Content is C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath\Data;C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath\Data;

10-22-2011 at 09:07 PM
mrimer
Kafka wrote:
I've found another Datapath.txt in C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath. Content is C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath\Data;C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath\Data;
That looks correct. Does the game run now as Administrator?

10-22-2011 at 09:16 PM
mrimer
Hmm...is the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath" the same as "C:\Users\Kafka\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath\Data", which you mentioned above? That is, are these two locations one and the same directory on your system, or are they actually two different directories?

10-22-2011 at 09:17 PM
Kafka
The programme runs as admin; but without my progress.

The two files are distinct, in two separate folders. The data files in each have different properties.

10-22-2011 at 09:47 PM
mrimer
Kafka wrote:
The programme runs as admin; but without my progress.

The two files are distinct, in two separate folders. The data files in each have different properties.
Okay, that's helpful to know. I still don't have a clear picture on your DROD installation setup, though. Please bear with me while I ask some more questions.

Which installation of these two are attempting to run?

If it's the one in "C:\Users\Kafka\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath\Data", does that one have a DataPath.txt file in "C:\Users\Kafka\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath"? You didn't mention whether it has one earlier. If it doesn't, then you won't need to run it as administrator, but it will create fresh player data files in "C:\ProgramData\Caravel\drod-3_0". If it does, what is written in it?

If you're attempting to run the one in "C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath", then it will use its player data files, since that's where its DataPath.txt file is pointing.

Ultimately, which game installation has the player data you are expecting to see when you upgrade? I'm not sure there's any bug in build 94, but in any event, I need to get a better picture of what is going on here in order to help you sort this out.

10-22-2011 at 10:08 PM
Kafka
I have just one drod.exe file, in "C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath". I now have just one datapath.txt, in the same folder. I have data files both there and in "C:\Users\Kafka\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath\Data"; I don't know which has my correct data, and don't see how to open and check these files.

10-22-2011 at 10:31 PM
mrimer
Kafka wrote:
I don't know which has my correct data, and don't see how to open and check these files.
You don't need to open the files. As I asked above, I need to know what the dates and sizes are of the files in each location. Would you please post that here?

10-23-2011 at 01:32 AM
Kafka
Sorry, I didn't understand the question. In "C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath", player.dat, sav.dat, text.dat and drod.ini are all 9.40pm, 22/10/11 (London times, UK date convention); in "C:\Users\Kafka\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath\Data" they are 6.53 pm, 22/10/11. Is that the data you need?

10-23-2011 at 01:47 AM
mrimer
Kafka wrote:
Sorry, I didn't understand the question. In "C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath", player.dat, sav.dat, text.dat and drod.ini are all 9.40pm, 22/10/11 (London times, UK date convention); in "C:\Users\Kafka\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\DROD - The City Beneath\Data" they are 6.53 pm, 22/10/11. Is that the data you need?
That's part of it. Would you also please tell me the sizes of these files?

10-23-2011 at 02:39 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Mike, I updated one of the spiders today to deal with the new version control structure, and ran into problems when I had a missing DataPath.txt

I ran it through the debugger, and here's what it came down to: It was trying to create "C:\ProgramData\Caravel\drod-3_0" and that failed. In CFiles::CreatePathIfInvalid(), it's going through and separating directories out by slashes, and the first time through it tries to create "C:" which fails with EACCES, not with EEXIST, so it errors out.

10-23-2011 at 05:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Can't run Drod after installing patch (+3)  
I went ahead and checked in a simple fix.

10-23-2011 at 05:18 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Can't run Drod after installing 3.3 patch
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com