Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Level Title Causes Room Name To Disappear (not a bug, but I need to know what effect it will have on board)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Trickster
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 662
IP: Logged
icon Level Title Causes Room Name To Disappear (+1)  
If you put a carriage return character at the end of a Level title, the room names (Entrance, Once North Thrice East, etc.) no longer appear in the rooms.

Oddly enough, this is not something I want to be considered a bug. I actually want this behavior, because it makes for an elegant appearance in the hold I'm working on (where most levels have only one room).

I have two questions:

1) Is this feature going to remain (I hope), or will it be "fixed" one day?

2) If you publish a hold that uses this feature, what would happen when you try to select a room by combo box if the level has a carriage return in it? I'm concerned that people might not be able to Get Help For A Room on my hold if I do this, or that it might crash map.php, or not show up properly in the high score board, etc. This seems unlikely, but I want to make certain before I finish this thing and try to publish.

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

09-30-2011 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Level Title Causes Room Name To Disappear (+1)  
1) It sounds like a bug to me and IMHO should be fixed.

2) Carriage returns shouldn't mess up anything on the forum.

09-30-2011 at 02:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Level Title Causes Room Name To Disappear (0)  
to feature requests!
09-30-2011 at 05:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Schik wrote:
1) It sounds like a bug to me and IMHO should be fixed.
Trickster wrote:
When could I get an official word on whether or not this will remain?
I don't know. Schik is officially working for Caravel, and is likely the most official word you can ever get.

This is not something that is likely to happen by accident, [...]
I think it's very likely that this is just an accident.

Thanks for reporting the bug anyway. O:-

09-30-2011 at 09:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I don't know if it will be fixed. My thought is that I would like this bug to be fixed, but I'm probably not going to go into the code and fix it. However, one of a couple other people might, I don't know.

If it's fixed, I assume it will be fixed so that newlines aren't displayed, rather than just not being able to enter newlines in future versions.

09-30-2011 at 01:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3117
icon Re: Level Title Causes Room Name To Disappear (+7)  
This will probably not be fixed for 3.3 (I don't particularly want anymore involved changes that requires an extension of beta-testing time unless it's trivial to add and test), and I'm not promising it will be fixed for any future version. Also, this isn't any official word: I don't have the authority for that. Mike certainly has the final word here, and Schik's opinion is important too.

There are, however, a number of reasons why I would prefer you not use this feature:

* It interferes with the occasions where we replace the co-ordinates in the room title to give the architect/player more information (like telling them to select a co-ordinate to start playtesting from, or the new 3.3 feature backported from RPG that explicitly states when a Cutscene is playing).

* I do not particularly want to deal with posts in the Bugs forum asking what's going on when they play your hold. Or problems people there might be with H&S (particularly searches, since as noted, posting requires you use the Room Select UI). I imagine Schik will be able to minimize problems with how it affects CaravelNet itself though.

* I don't want to see the precedent of its use lead to its use in other holds, especially those where co-ordinates are so much more important. Even a 2-room level is dicey, since you really can't be sure which room is the Entrance without additional clues. (Yes, I know you're sidestepping that problem in your hold with only ever using a second room as a secret. On that note, I should probably remind you that anyone who cares to look at their CaravelNet scores will be able to see on exactly which level all scorable secrets are.)

* I'm also not as sympathetic as I might be to unsupported characters in level names given a recent problem we had with unsupported characters in variable names when going through the 3.3 patch. Whilst I grant that we're likely to never have anywhere near as much problems with level name text (since the problems with the variables were related to parsing), I'd rather lower the chance of having to come back and manually update your hold because it gets broken by some future code change. (Though yes, this is really unlikely to become an issue requiring that level of updating.)

===

Rabscuttle's feature request based on this idea is a much more sound way of approaching the problem, though I don't know if it will ever be implemented (and I really doubt it'll be in any interim patch for TCB... it'd probably be the next version of DROD at absolute earliest). It's a nice idea as far as it goes, and named rooms are often a highlight of many puzzle or platform games (VVVVVV made good use of them, and Jet Set Willy/Manic Miner are such classic examples).

I will, however, note that people have named their rooms in the past with the rather simple use of Speech commands. Look at MetDROiD Echoes for an exemplary use of this mechanic. Something similar was also used in the ABM level of Advanced Concepts.

Trickster wrote:
This is not something that is likely to happen by accident, and it's particularly useful to be able to name a room whatever you want instead of always seeing ": The Entrance" at the end of it. E.g., I'd prefer to have an end cutscene room named "Epilogue" than "Epilogue : The Entrance".
Not likely, but your own discovery was accidental, by your own admission.

And also, as of 3.3, Cutscenes will no longer say "The Entrance" or even any co-ordinate at all, just as in DROD RPG. So you can use that feature instead all you like.
10-01-2011 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Level Title Causes Room Name To Disappear (+4)  
PR

I figured I may as well do this, more of a protection from accidentally doing something you'll regret than to prevent a real problem.

The fix will remove newline characters and tab characters if you accidentally input them in: hold name, level name or custom character name. This happens the moment you press "Save"/"Ok" on the dialog, so old names will be unaffected, as well as when importing.

10-16-2020 at 12:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
I don't understand how to test this is fixed. As far as I can tell, pressing Tab / Enter in these dialogs will move the focus to the next button / confirm the dialog.
10-18-2020 at 10:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Copy pasting from your favorite text editor, sorry, forgot to mention that.

10-18-2020 at 10:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Can confirm that in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-16 if you input a tab space or line break into the hold rename, level rename, or character name dialogs via copy/paste, then when you approve, these whitespaces will be removed.

However when you first input them, DROD doesn't handle this very well. The tab space shows up as a box, while the line break causes an error beep to occur as soon as you paste:

Assertion error in line 674 of C:\Users\mrime\git\drod\FrontEndLib\FontManager.cpp: "!wCRLFCount"
10-18-2020 at 10:51 AM
skell
icon Re: Level Title Causes Room Name To Disappear (+2)  
kieranmillar wrote:
However when you first input them, DROD doesn't handle this very well. The tab space shows up as a box, while the line break causes an error beep to occur as soon as you paste:

Assertion error in line 674 of C:\Users\mrime\git\drod\FrontEndLib\FontManager.cpp: "!wCRLFCount"

Note, the specific assertion beep only occured when the input box started with a newline character. I've changed it so that sanitization occurs while typing and pasting, rather than during whatever code handles those text boxes input.

PR

10-18-2020 at 11:36 AM
kieranmillar
Can confirm fixed in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-18. Text sanitization happens at the moment of pasting.
10-18-2020 at 03:36 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Level Title Causes Room Name To Disappear (not a bug, but I need to know what effect it will have on board)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com