Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Disappearing Imports and Characters
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Trickster
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 662
IP: Logged
icon Disappearing Imports and Characters (0)  
If you:

1) copy hold X to hold Y or
2) copy rooms from hold X to hold Y

...then the following things may happen in hold Y:

1) imported images disappear
2) imported sounds disappear
3) custom characters which rely in imported images are erased
4) custom characters which do not rely on imported images are erased

These errors are not reliable and differ in proportion from one case to the next. I don't know what might be triggering them.

This issue has been the bane of my existence while editing the compilation hold from the June contest. Fortunately, only Penwielder's entry has custom characters, images, and sounds (mine has a single image, which appears in the room preview when present, so it is trivial to fix). But this has been a huge pain, and I've needed to get files from Penwielder several times in order to patch the disappearing bits.

Currently, the only plan I have that may allow me to edit the beta without destroying Penwielder's hold is as follows. Rather than copy the beta for edit, I'll reserve an editable version of it. When I need to upload a new version, I'll disconnect from CN, delete the beta from my holds list, rename the edit to match the beta, export it, rename it back, upload it to the beta board, then reconnect to CN and download it.

I believe this will prevent the bug from annoying me further provided I do not cut and paste rooms from one hold to another. I am concerned that even cutting and pasting rooms from hold Y to hold X may be dangerous to hold Y.

This is unbelievably annoying and any assistance would be appreciated. It was bad enough when images were disappearing, but I've had the entire custom character list explode, and this last time we lost images AND one sound file.

I would prefer not to make the beta public until it's finished, but I can send a copy of the current editable version set "anyone can edit" to an admin who wants to see it.

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-20-2012 08:36 PM]
08-06-2011 at 01:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Disappearing Imports and Characters
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com