Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD et al. on OS X 10.7 (Lion)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jcobleigh
Level: Legendary Architect
Rank Points: 25
IP: Logged
icon DROD et al. on OS X 10.7 (Lion) (+1)  
My copies of The City Beneath and Tendry's Tale stopped working once I upgraded my computer to OS X 10.7 (Lion) since PPC applications are no longer supported. I tried downloading a new version of Tendry's Tale (1.1.0.54), but it still didn't work. Is there a timeline for when new versions that run on Lion will be available?
07-22-2011 at 12:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lamkin
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 606
icon Re: DROD et al. on OS X 10.7 (Lion) (0)  
One thing I'd suggest to Caravel would be to put some sort of disclaimer or whatever on, say, the Plimus order page stating that Mac DROD games will not work under Lion. Just a suggestion.
:)
07-23-2011 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
jcobleigh wrote:
My copies of The City Beneath and Tendry's Tale stopped working once I upgraded my computer to OS X 10.7 (Lion) . . .
:~(
might have to think twice about upgrading then.

07-24-2011 at 01:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
My _personal_ opinion would be to delay upgrading to Lion until there is a good solution.

07-26-2011 at 10:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
icon Re: DROD et al. on OS X 10.7 (Lion) (+1)  
Elfstone wrote:
:~(
might have to think twice about upgrading then.
Tim wrote:
My _personal_ opinion would be to delay upgrading to Lion until there is a good solution.
Just a friendly reminder to Elf that one immediate solution would be to purchase an external hard drive and set it up so that it runs Snow Leopard, Rosetta...and DROD. That way you can install Lion on your iMac with impunity.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 07-28-2011 03:15 AM]
07-27-2011 at 10:52 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: DROD et al. on OS X 10.7 (Lion) (+2)  
Lamkin wrote:
Just a friendly reminder to Elf that one immediate solution would be to purchase an external hard drive and set it up so that it runs Snow Leopard, Rosetta...and DROD. That way you can install Lion on your iMac with impunity.
If you're going to dual-boot for games, why not just get a Windows 7 license and use Boot Camp instead?

07-28-2011 at 10:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lamkin
Briareos wrote:
Lamkin wrote:
If you're going to dual-boot for games, why not just get a Windows 7 license and use Boot Camp instead?
Hadn't occurred to me. Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I may do that myself. Plus then I'd be able to play Limbo. ;)
07-28-2011 at 10:55 AM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Lamkin wrote:
Elfstone wrote:
:~( might have to think twice about upgrading then.
Just a friendly reminder to Elf that one immediate solution would be to purchase an external hard drive and set it up so that it runs Snow Leopard, Rosetta...and DROD. That way you can install Lion on your iMac with impunity. :)

Thanks Lamkin - I hadn't thought of that. I have an external hard drive for my computer at work (to back up all the exam work because the server is dodgy) but it din't occur to me that i could run Snow Leopard from one. I could also back up all my poetry and music which would be no bad thing! I will investigate further once I'm back from Raasay.
(PS - what's Rosetta and do I need/want it? scurries off to Google)

07-28-2011 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Elfstone wrote:
(PS - what's Rosetta and do I need/want it? scurries off to Google)
http://www.mariasguides.com/2009/09/02/snow-leopard-and-rosetta/
A wee bit more technical explanation:
http://web.archive.org/web/20081007091705/http://www.apple.com/rosetta

You'll need it if you purchase an external hard drive to install Snow Leopard on, as Rosetta will not be installed as part of a standard OS X Snow Leopard installation...but don't worry about installing it yourself, Elf, as you will be prompted to install it the first time you run an application that requires it (e.g., DROD).
(And it won't take long to install.)

[Last edited by Lamkin at 10-30-2011 06:00 PM]
07-28-2011 at 11:27 PM
hyphz
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
Should be possible to just re-compile the source to make an Intel or LLVM version?

07-29-2011 at 10:33 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: DROD et al. on OS X 10.7 (Lion) (+3)  
hyphz wrote:
Should be possible to just re-compile the source to make an Intel or LLVM version?
I apologize for taking so long to reply to this thread and others like it.

I have been attempting to build DROD on OS X as a Universal binary without success. I have spent days on it, hacking at it here and there, on and off, for months now, and it has been quite frustrating.

My one last effort will be to attempt an Intel-only build, but I'm not sure whether I can pull that off for all the third-party libraries we integrate into the binary. If this attempt fails, I'm going to concede personal defeat.

However! If anyone out there can handle OS X development, gnarly make files, and has experience making Universal binaries, just let me know. I'd be happy to pay for your time on the project so that we can get a version for Lion out there.

Worst-case: if someone can provide instructions on tools (like Rosetta?) that can be used to play DROD on 10.7, we could post those on the Caravel Games website, in the FAQ, etc.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-02-2011 06:32 PM]
08-02-2011 at 06:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Have you considered trying fiddling with the Scons Linux build instead of the makefiles? It might prove more fruitful; I don't know.
08-08-2011 at 12:22 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Has anyone gotten any of the Mac Wine wrappers to work with the Windows executable?

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
10-06-2011 at 03:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stoney
Rank Points: 39
icon Re: DROD et al. on OS X 10.7 (Lion) (+3)  
Dear fellow Mac Smiting Friends!

There is a way to run DROD TCB using Wineskin Winery for Mac OSX, grab it here for free:

http://wineskin.doh123.com/

Wineskin enables you to create a Wrapper for the Windows Binaries, and so far it is working fine. (Wrapper: Wineskin 2.5, Engine: WS8Wine 1.3.20).
If you want to run DROD in Fullscreen, you have to change the Options after creating the wrapper by right clicking on the Wrapper -> View Package Contents -> Double Click "wineskin" -> "Set Screen Options" -> "Override" -> "Full Screen". Launch the game and set "Full Screen" inside the game as well. Voila.

I know you guys are struggling with providing Mac compatible versions, so this is the way for me to play this game on Lion so far.

By the way, this method works with DROD RPG too, but you have to turn off the "Environmental Effects" in case you run into any GFX glitches.

Game on!

[Last edited by Stoney at 11-14-2011 03:21 PM]
11-14-2011 at 02:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Cool, will have to try that.

11-14-2011 at 04:34 PM
Stoney
Rank Points: 39
Tell me if you run into any problems.

You can either just create the wrapper and add the files inside the package manually by dragging them inside the .app package and link wineskin to the .exe file yourself (if you already do have a preinstalled Windows Version lying around for example), or you can point Wineskin to the DROD Installer after the wrapper is created, which will install the game for you automatically. To alter any game files after the install, for example to insert your player file, you need to right click the wrapper -> View Package Contents. You can then just drag and drop files in there, just as you would do to any normal folder.

[Last edited by Stoney at 11-14-2011 05:47 PM]
11-14-2011 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Thank you very much, Stoney, for the tip on getting the Windows version of TCB to run on Lion. Yes, disoriented, please let us know how this works out for you!

11-14-2011 at 05:56 PM
moomal
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: DROD et al. on OS X 10.7 (Lion) (+5)  
I have installed KDD, JtRH, TCB, and RPG in Wineskin. All are working beautifully.

For all four, I had to Set Screen Options, then choose Override/Fullscreen.

I was able to install KDD and JtRH without any other modifications. For TCB, I needed to go to Advanced > Tools > Winetricks, then run vcrun2008. For RPG, I needed to go to Advanced > Tools > Winetricks, then run vcrun2005.

I wanted to run the programs in windowed mode, so I changed the screen options inside the games to turn off fullscreen then re-ran wineskin.app (right click on the wrapper you created and choose "Show Package Contents" and wineskin.app will show), then changed the screen options in Wineskin to Automatic.

[Last edited by moomal at 11-26-2011 12:17 PM]
11-26-2011 at 05:02 AM
disoriented
I needed to do it exactly as moomal said, and it seems to be working. Thanks much.

It's a solution at least, although not ideal. I am hoping, hoping, hoping that the Next Big Game will have a native Intel Mac binary (I don't care about PPC or Universal binaries)...

12-01-2011 at 05:34 AM
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
OK, I'm running under 10.6 instead of 10.7, but I ran into a problem that I'm not sure if anyone else is seeing. I don't know yet if it's new behaviour in GatEB or if it was in TCB as well, but selecting the 'Restore' option in the main menu is crashing DROD when I'm running it in a Wineskin wrapper. A quick query on CaravelChat seems to say that I'm the only person seeing this, so I'm assuming it's a Wineskin issue, at least for the moment.

Yes, I know there's an OSX version of GatEB, but I'm on a 32-bit IntelMac, not a 64-bit.

EDIT: The problem doesn't seem to exist in TCB running under identical circumstances, so it's something new. Did the way that the Restore dialog is handled get changed in GatEB?

EDIT AGAIN: Hmm. OK, the problem seems to be with the Wine engine; using WS8Wine1.3.20 instead of the current version appears, on first glance, to have solved the problem. Will continue investigating once I've re-downloaded the hold files. Again. :/

[Last edited by Hikari at 04-05-2012 03:50 PM]
04-05-2012 at 03:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
t_z
Since GatEB was released as an Intel 64-bit binary, have we now paved the way for native JtRH, TCB and TT builds as well?

Just thinking of the sale going on this week...

t_z
04-12-2012 at 02:03 AM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
t_z wrote:
Since GatEB was released as an Intel 64-bit binary, have we now paved the way for native JtRH, TCB and TT builds as well?

Just thinking of the sale going on this week...

t_z

Once you have GatEB, you should be able to play JtRH, TCB, etc. using that engine, so you shouldn't need native builds, should you?

04-12-2012 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Yep, it's true that if you have bought the game, then with CaravelNet, you can just download the previous games into DROD 4.

We do plan on providing 64-bit standalone versions of earlier games, but not in time to be available specifically for this week's sale.

04-12-2012 at 02:29 AM
jcobleigh
I have data files from JtRH, TCB with my state from when those worked on OS X. Is it possible to move these into GatEB so I can continue the holds I've started but not yet finished?
04-14-2012 at 03:21 AM
disoriented
jcobleigh wrote:
I have data files from JtRH, TCB with my state from when those worked on OS X. Is it possible to move these into GatEB so I can continue the holds I've started but not yet finished?

If you exported your player files from those apps, you should be able to import them into GatEB. Make sure you've downloaded all needed holds from CaravelNet first.

See more info by selecting "Get Help" from the main menu of the game.

04-14-2012 at 07:18 PM
jcobleigh
disoriented wrote:
If you exported your player files from those apps, you should be able to import them into GatEB. Make sure you've downloaded all needed holds from CaravelNet first

Ahh. But I can't export from the other apps, since I have Lion, the only one I can run (right now) is GatEB. Thanks for the information.
04-15-2012 at 10:39 PM
Keiya
Rank Points: 73
You could try running the windows versions of the old ones in wine or via bootcamp, maybe?

Official Hold Progress:
Click here to view the secret text

04-16-2012 at 12:51 AM
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
The Windows versions won't let him get at his player files, Keiya.

Do you have an external drive, jcobleigh? You might be able to get an install of an older OS version onto that, and boot to that so you can load the older ones and get your .player files.

04-18-2012 at 04:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Hikari wrote:
The Windows versions won't let him get at his player files, Keiya.
He should be able to copy the data files to the directory that the Windows emulated version uses - the actual data files for DROD should be platform independent. He should then be able to install the Windows versions with a wrapper, overwrite the data files (drod2_0.dat/drod3_0.dat, player.dat, save.dat, text.dat), and export from there.

Someone with more knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong, but the logic should be sound.

04-18-2012 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
t_z
mrimer wrote:
Yep, it's true that if you have bought the game, then with CaravelNet, you can just download the previous games into DROD 4.

We do plan on providing 64-bit standalone versions of earlier games, but not in time to be available specifically for this week's sale.
I still like going back to standalone JtRH for the music: title screen and in game. I am glad to hear that a standalone version for OS X 64-bit Intel is planned.

Unless... Is there a way to enable or import the JtRH music into later versions?

t_z
04-20-2012 at 10:43 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD et al. on OS X 10.7 (Lion)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com