Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Attack of the Demons of Colour (RPPG DROD)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged

File: AotDoC 2C.hold (28.3 KB)
Downloaded 182 times.
License: Other
icon Attack of the Demons of Colour (+4)  
Well, if you've visited the Development forum lately, you may recall that I made a tileset called "The Demons of Colour". Reading further in that may have you remember that I wanted to make a hold regarding this theme. Well, here it is.

When DROD regulars told me to get inspiration, it worked. Hence, I hope to be able to combine a well known/loved game with a well known DROD hold:
Super Mario RPG meets Robobob3000's FSSG hold, or, as I called it, Role-Playing Puzzle Game.

The story is fairly basic. One day, while walking in downtown Krendard, colour disappears. It is your job as Beethro to wander through towns (9 at least) and conquer dungeons. As you conquer dungeons, colour slowly starts to reappear.

Right now, only Krendard is set up. Motar's dungeon, the first dungeon you encounter, has 1 enemy in it. All I am looking for in this Alpha release is to make sure you can solve the 6 gates of Motar will the supplied information AND to hear of any ways that this could imporve (for now).

****Be sure to check around town after the dungeon as well****

Oh, and it looks better from the mini-map than from the actually playing area. And if you want the full experience, play it with the tilesets that I made.

Have fun!

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 08-08-2004 at 12:04 AM GMT]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:11-27-2004 at 06:59 PM]

07-17-2004 at 04:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Attack of the Demons of Colour (0)  
I'm an inspiration!

*throws flowers everywhere*

07-17-2004 at 07:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
icon Re: Attack of the Demons of Colour (+2)  
I like it so far! Some quick things:

1n1w: Your scroll says "thiefs". You want "thieves".
2s2w: Your scroll says "sing on the door". I assume you mean "sign".

As far as the puzzle itself goes, I figured out the number
Click here to view the secret text
although it was ultimately by guess and check that I got it. I was able to use your clues to eliminate most of the possible answers, but not all, so I started guessing at the end. Maybe I had just missed a scroll.

Also, I found that the gate puzzle can be figured out without using the clues at all, and just getting through by trial and error. Maybe you can set up some sort of tar lock (yellow doors under tar with a roach at the end) to prevent simple guessing.

I can't wait to see the rest of this hold! I think this will benefit greatly from the upcoming ability to determine exactly where stairs will lead you when JtRH comes out (at least I think that's true)

Nice work!

07-17-2004 at 08:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Oh! You said to check around after the dungeon! I totally missed that. Future players might not make that mistake if you changed the description to note that you had already visited the dungeon.

And do the stairs go to the correct places? I can't find an enemy in the dungeon like you said, and the stairs in 1e take me back to the start of the dungeon.

[Edited by RoboBob3000 on 07-17-2004 at 07:27 AM GMT]

07-17-2004 at 08:23 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Robobob3000 said:
Also, I found that the gate puzzle can be figured out without using the clues at all, and just getting through by trial and error. Maybe you can set up some sort of tar lock (yellow doors under tar with a roach at the end) to prevent simple guessing.
Genius. I owe you for that. I had originally made various other ideas as to how to eliminate guess and check, but they all sucked. Badly. As for the numbers, theyn are all there...
Click here to view the secret text

And I'll look into the stairs....

But anyway, the ultimate goal would be to have 9 cities, each with their own dungeon, and have the city look different with people saying different things each time you release a different colour. It'll be hard, but I think it will end up being really fun.

07-17-2004 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Robobob3000 said:
I had originally made various other ideas as to how to eliminate guess and check, but they all sucked.

Just a word of warning: make sure your gate changes are fairly widespread (something like all but one gate on every turn should do it). Otherwise, people can figure out your pattern anyway even with the tar covering (check out Beethro's Dance of Death to see what I mean -- fortunately I didn't consider it of dire importance on that to keep people from working out the gates the "wrong" way).
07-18-2004 at 06:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
jdyer wrote:
Just a word of warning: make sure your gate changes are fairly widespread (something like all but one gate on every turn should do it). Otherwise, people can figure out your pattern anyway even with the tar covering (check out Beethro's Dance of Death to see what I mean -- fortunately I didn't consider it of dire importance on that to keep people from working out the gates the "wrong" way).
Done. I had thought about that as well, and it's changed in the next version. The next city will also have....a bit more violence/DROD style to it than Krendard.

07-18-2004 at 06:03 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
I am unable to go back to town after the dungeon - the dungeon stairs take me either back to the dungeon, or back to the beginning of the hold.

Otherwise, great work. Looking forward to seeing more of this.

"Oook!"
07-25-2004 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
There were various problems with the original release that I completly missed. A new version is ALMOSt ready, but I still have to add another city to it.

Optimistically speaking - it should be ready sometime this week.

07-25-2004 at 05:44 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Update: I made the gate.....way more difficult, and everything should lead the right way. Unfortunatly, the next city, Orkked, isn't ready yet. I'd expect it to be completed somethime next month, as I still have Bavato's dungeon to test and emoticons to make.

07-26-2004 at 05:46 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
Two things:

It looks sort of odd that Motar's gates are covered in red tar, since color supposedly has disappeared.

After exiting Motar's dungeon and returning to the town, it's impossible to leave the entrance since the roach is behind the green door.

Other than that, it's just fine. Keep up the good work.

07-26-2004 at 07:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Watcher wrote:
Two things:

It looks sort of odd that Motar's gates are covered in red tar, since color supposedly has disappeared.
You'll eventually get the story. The basic premise is that all the enemies have taken the colour and as you defeat the hideouts of each enemy (each having their own colour), then colour returns to the Eighth. There will be a HUGE story to it, and I promise that it will all make sense when the final version is released.

After exiting Motar's dungeon and returning to the town, it's impossible to leave the entrance since the roach is behind the green door.
Now THAT was me comletly forgetting about stupid details. I fix that in a min.

07-26-2004 at 08:06 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Fixed. It works now.

07-26-2004 at 08:20 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
Thanks. I like the changes to the town after you finish the dungeon. :)

Anyway, three minor details:

In the level intro to Krendard (1), you spell the town's name "Kremdard".

In Krendard (2), Entrance and 2S are set to a different tileset than the rest of the town.

In Krendard (2), you use two different spellings of the next town's name: "Orkked" and "Orkedd".

Watcher, Nitpicker Extraordinaire

07-26-2004 at 08:38 PM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
*twitch* Excellent hold... *twitchtwitch* A little help with 3n2w would be great though... *twitchtwitchtwitch*

~twitch5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
08-07-2004 at 04:20 PM
gamer_extreme_101
It's been about a month in the making, but I finally finished the third city, Orkked! Now, don't start yelling at me saying "Hey, where's the second city?". My answer is:"You'll get it when I'm done, Okay?".

Seriously, the storyline for city numero 3 is this: Shortly after cleaning city number 2, you overhear someone speak of relatives in Orkked locked in their house. They continue telling of a large body surrounding the town. Willing, you head on over to Orkked and realize that the whole town is covered in tar!

As usual, I only finished 1 room in the town dungeon, but it'll give you what the other few rooms'll be like. This town does have a bit more traditional DROD-like rooms.

And Joker....I don't have a 3N2W. If you are refering to the tar-gate puzzle, then the posts above may help.

Edit. I had to re-post my hold because of an error that made it impossible to reach the town prioson.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 08-07-2004 at 11:43 PM GMT]

08-07-2004 at 07:45 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Okay...the last version I posted wasn't *EXACTLY* possible. :( (This is what you get when you release before testing yourself :bangin) This version should be possible, but if it ain't, feel free to yell at me in a non-angrific way. :)

08-08-2004 at 01:06 AM
joker5
The long snake puzzle is what I'm talking about with the goblin being blocked off... I can't kill the roaches fast enough:(

~joker5

08-08-2004 at 05:04 PM
joker5
Oops, that must have been some other hold.

~joker5

08-08-2004 at 05:45 PM
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: Attack of the Demons of Colour (+1)  
I did another update (Finally :?) just to tweak up some small things. I'm slowly starting the next city, which should look a bit more....normal to start out with. Hope you enjoy the touchups, and please, please, PLEASE find things that are wrong. I'm not the best player, and I know a lot of you will be able to find any bug lying in the hold. Thanks!

11-27-2004 at 06:59 PM
Birkoff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
It mayby that I'm an idiot, but I just cant find the tileset for attack of the demons of colour, could one of you put out a link to it.

Thanks.

"A hero is no braver than an
ordinary man, but he is brave five
minutes longer."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
11-30-2004 at 12:38 AM
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: Attack of the Demons of Colour (+1)  
Probably because I accidentally deleted it. :? I did a couple of touch-ups and didn't want people to get the old version and have to install a new version in a day. Expect the new version late tonight or sometime tomorrow.

11-30-2004 at 12:50 AM
Birkoff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
Thanks again, it's good to know that there is a possibility that I'm not an idiot.

"A hero is no braver than an
ordinary man, but he is brave five
minutes longer."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
11-30-2004 at 01:38 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Attack of the Demons of Colour (RPPG DROD)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com