Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Installing DRODAE on Ubuntu 64bit
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Blatm
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon Installing DRODAE on Ubuntu 64bit (0)  
Hi,

I'm a longtime DROD fan and feel compelled to install it on my new Ubuntu 64bit laptop. However, I'm also very new to Linux and hence very incompetent. I have downloaded the Linux Architect's Eddition .run file from forum.caravelgames.com/downloads.php and now my terminal looks like:

blatm@Bob:~/Downloads$ sh DRODAESetup-1.6.7.run   [note: please don't assume I'm competent enough to know what I just did]
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing DROD: Architects' Edition...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load module "libcanberra-gtk-module.so": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

An installation window popped up, I told it where to install, and now I have a /drod-ae directory.

blatm@Bob:~/drod-ae$ ls
Caravel DROD Licensing Overview.txt  Data  drod-ae  drodae.xpm  Libs  uninstall

I don't know what to do from here. Any help would be much appreciated.
06-07-2011 at 12:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Installing DRODAE on Ubuntu 64bit (0)  
I can't help you with this, but are you specifically wanting to play AE?

I'd recommend getting the TCB demo (with linux installer) which allows you to play 100 (200?) custom made holds for free...
06-08-2011 at 11:18 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Another thing I've done with my Linux VM is run WINE. I installed TCB under it and it runs perfectly as far as I can tell. That might be simplest. I wasn't able to figure out the native AE install myself.

06-08-2011 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Blatm wrote:
Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load module "libcanberra-gtk-module.so": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Have you tried to googling (or any other search engine) for the error message?

06-09-2011 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Tim wrote:
Blatm wrote:
Have you tried to googling (or any other search engine) for the error message?
Since the installer printed that before showing anything I doubt it's much of a problem.

As for running the game - I'm pretty sure the executable is that "drod-ae" file, so running that ("./drod-ae" or "~/drod-ae/drod-ae") should do the trick.

Of course, I'm not sure if 64bit Ubuntu runs 32bit executables out of the box; if not you'll have to install support for that, probably by installing the ia32-libs package...

(NB: I'm a Debian user, and all I ever use it for is as a server, so I don't even have X installed anywhere, let alone a 64bit version - so I might be slightly wrong... ;))

06-09-2011 at 01:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blatm
Thanks for the help guys. I still can't get DROD working.

I'll look into TCB, but AE holds a special place in my heart and I'd like to get it working (though it's not the end of the world if I can't).

I'll consider installing WINE.

I haven't looked into the gtk warning.

I already have ia32-libs installed.

When I try ./drod-ae I get:

blatm@Bob:~/drod-ae$ ./drod-ae
./drod-ae: 16: /home/blatm/drod-ae/drod-ae.bin: not found

I don't know why that is. I checked that drod-ae is indeed an executable with
blatm@Bob:~/drod-ae$ ls -l
[...]
-rwxr-xr-x 1 blatm blatm  355 2011-06-06 19:06 drod-ae
[...]

I can also doubleclick on it in my folder browser and I get a window asking me "Do you want to run "drod-ae", or display its contents? "drod-ae" is an executable text file." and giving me the options Run in Terminal/Display/Cancel/Run. Neither Run does anything, and Display opens the file in a text editor:
#!/bin/sh

DRODAE_HOME="/home/blatm/drod-ae"

if test "x$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" = "x"; then
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$DRODAE_HOME/Libs"
else
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$DRODAE_HOME/Libs:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
fi

DROD_1_6_RES_PATH="$DRODAE_HOME/Data"
DROD_1_6_DAT_PATH="$DRODAE_HOME/Data"

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH DROD_1_6_RES_PATH DROD_1_6_DAT_PATH

"$DRODAE_HOME/drod-ae.bin" "$@"

(I don't know what any of that means)

Thanks.
06-09-2011 at 09:29 PM
west.logan
Yeah, I'm not quite sure myself (like I said, I never got the Linux version working, but then again I didn't try very hard).

There is a Windows version of AE which should also run fine under WINE, if TCB works. You might give that a shot.

06-09-2011 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Syntax wrote:
I'd recommend getting the TCB demo (with linux installer) which allows you to play 100 (200?) custom made holds for free...

I think it's actually close to 400 now, which is truly remarkable. I've had more fun with some of those than the purchased holds.

06-09-2011 at 09:36 PM
Blatm
icon Re: Installing DRODAE on Ubuntu 64bit (+1)  
Update:

I tried to uninstall the Linux version of AE but ./uninstall gave me the message "Could not find a usable uninstall program. Aborting."

I ran the .run file again anyway after having done "unset GTK_MODULES" (which Google tells me should fix the first of the two gtk warnings, and it did).

blatm@Bob:~/Downloads$ sh DRODAESetup-1.6.7.run 
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing DROD: Architects' Edition...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
/home/blatm/.caravel/installed/bin/Linux/x86/uninstall: error while loading shared libraries: libgpm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/tmp/setupdb-bin.4dWsf9: error while loading shared libraries: libgpm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I set the install path and binary path (don't know what this is) to where they were before. I still get the same problems.

So I tried WINE. Wine seems to work fine with the Windows download from caravelgames.com/Articles/Games_2/DownloadKDD.html, but when I try to run the Windows Setup file for AE from forum.caravelgames.com/downloads.php I get
The file '/home/blatm/Downloads/CDROD1_6_7setup(1).exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.

Ok, so I set chmod +x CDROD1_6_7setup\(1\).exe. I try again and my screen goes a bit askew, the top bar says I'm in Wine Windows Program Loader, and I get the error message
The file 'C:\users\blatm\Temp\GLFa9a.tmp' could not be opened. Please check that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination directory.

The file changes in the last 2 characters every time I run it, e.g. I get 'C:\users\blatm\Temp\GLFaab.tmp' the next time I run it. This might be a generic Wine problem, so I'll Google some more and ask around.
06-10-2011 at 01:49 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
west.logan wrote:
Syntax wrote:

I think it's actually close to 400 now, which is truly remarkable. I've had more fun with some of those than the purchased holds.
Wow... I stand happily corrected :)
06-11-2011 at 11:14 AM
west.logan
Blatm,

There was a chap a few weeks ago who made a script to install. I tried and didn't have the right packages installed and so didn't bother any further, but you may have better luck.

Then again, this could be merely exacerbating the problem... :D

06-13-2011 at 04:52 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Installing DRODAE on Ubuntu 64bit
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com