Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Where are the old members? (Flippin' fegundo, where!?)
Page 5 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ClaytonW
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 961
IP: Logged
icon Re: Where are the old members? (+4)  
Pretty sure I count as an old-timer!

I peek my head in here, oh, I'd say every 4-6 months.

As far as what I've been up to:

I'm still working the same miserable retail job that I was back when I was running DROD.net, however, I'm back in school after a 6 to 7 year hiatus, finishing up an Associates in Graphic Arts Technology (which I find many people confusing with a design program, or a "real" art degree). Basically, I'm learning about print production, running presses, screen printing (remember!? I made these), color system management, and desktop publishing stuff. That's not to say I don't do anything creative. I'm making lots of custom t-shirts and notepads and other fun printed materials, not to mention dinkin' around in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign all day long :). The goal is to work in a delightful, casual print shop producing thousands upon thousands of business cards, memos, flyers, banners, signs, etc, and hopefully I can find a place that does screen printing too, because I flippin' love making my own t-shirts.

Oh, and fun story: Back when I first entered the GAT program 6 to 7 years ago, I was a much more avid DROD fan. I talked about my work with Caravel with my Intro to Graphic Arts instructor, Scott Fustin. It was actually in his class that I Photoshopped this image that appears in the credits of JtRH. In any case, Scott was interested in the game, and I know that he did download Caravel DROD and play that for some time (he never finished it). Fast-forward 6 years, I'm back in the GAT program. Scott is my instructor for a desktop publishing class. He calls my name in attendance...

"Didn't I have you...?"
"Yep, in 101, about 6 years ago."
*laugh* "You keep waiting that long between semesters, you can get your degree about when... oh, they have flying cars."

Scott called a few other students' names, then turned back to me and said:

"Deadly Rooms of Death... right?"

He Remembered! :thumbsup True story.

DROD was a HUGE part of my life for several years, and I'm glad to see familiar names when I browse through on my visits. I like to think that I played a small role in reviving DROD, by building the (in retrospect, poorly designed) first DROD site since Beethro's Roasted Roach Grill, but maybe that's arrogant of me, I dunno. :P I have fond memories of working with the Caravel Team, even though I always felt like I wasn't doing enough.

I played a little bit of the newest Smitemaster's Selection, if only to be narcissistic, and hear my own voice, but not much beyond that. I'm looking forward to the fourth DROD game, and would glady voice-act, test, and make some rooms!

Wow, pretty lengthy, got nostalgic! :~( I'll sign off here.

- Claythro Budkin
11-22-2011 at 04:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Where are the old members? (+1)  
Since I was specifically named in the first post, I guess I should answer in some form:

I've had numerous computer changes in the last couple of years and I still have it on my TODO list to locate my most recent "big DB of save games" and resume trying to get every room in every hold, but work keeps me pretty busy. I have still lurked about from time to time.

Right after I locate my DB of saves, I'll try to use my instructions for compiling DROD to see if they still work and update them, as well (unless someone has been kindly keeping them up to date since they became part of the distro).

11-24-2011 at 02:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Where are the old members? (+2)  
I can tell you that they are working, or at least I have managed to compile DROD: TCB from them 2 or 3 months ago - I think they are bundled with source, but if Mike updates them that I know not.

11-24-2011 at 02:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 5 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Where are the old members? (Flippin' fegundo, where!?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com