Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Gigantic Jewel Lost : Underground Lake : 1 North, 1 East
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Madrigal_Gurneyhalt
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon Gigantic Jewel Lost : Underground Lake : 1 North, 1 East (0)  
So I've got the rattlers arranged to release each of the goblins but, unless I'm mistaken, the last one can only be released when all the rattlers have been released. The only way to achieve that appears to be to
Click here to view the secret text

Only trouble is that a rattler comes through and traps me before the process is complete. The only way to prevent this seems to be to take a position on one of the trapdoors but then it becomes impossible to kill the last goblin and still have a way out. So where am I going wrong?
05-17-2011 at 04:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Madrigal_Gurneyhalt
icon Re: Gigantic Jewel Lost : Underground Lake : 1 North, 1 East (0)  
Anyone?
05-18-2011 at 04:40 PM
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
It's hard to give a hint since looking at my solution, none of the issues you mentioned seem related. However:

05-18-2011 at 10:19 PM
Madrigal_Gurneyhalt
TripleM wrote:
It's hard to give a hint since looking at my solution, none of the issues you mentioned seem related. However:

Er ... no. I'm pretty sure that's actually impossible! I mean that the final goblin is only released when no rattlers are on the pressure plates. This occurs every 2nd step when the rattlers are in motion but not long enough to allow the goblin past the gates. So I can only conclude that it cannot be done until all the rattlers have cleared the holding area and are on their way to Beethro's entrance area.
05-19-2011 at 01:30 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3117
icon Re: Gigantic Jewel Lost : Underground Lake : 1 North, 1 East (+1)  
Madrigal_Gurneyhalt wrote:
Er ... no. I'm pretty sure that's actually impossible! I mean that the final goblin is only released when no rattlers are on the pressure plates. This occurs every 2nd step when the rattlers are in motion but not long enough to allow the goblin past the gates.
You are misunderstanding the puzzle then.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 05-19-2011 01:47 PM]
05-19-2011 at 01:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Madrigal_Gurneyhalt
TFMurphy wrote:
Madrigal_Gurneyhalt wrote:
Er ... no. I'm pretty sure that's actually impossible! I mean that the final goblin is only released when no rattlers are on the pressure plates. This occurs every 2nd step when the rattlers are in motion but not long enough to allow the goblin past the gates.
You are misunderstanding the puzzle then.

Well, not misunderstanding it as such. I had a 'digit' flipped in my set up of the rattlers. Because it resulted in all the goblins being released (or at least, potentially released) it hadn't occurred to me to check it. All done now, thanks for the assist.
05-19-2011 at 02:56 PM
deftriver
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
I'm definitely missing something, first I thought make the three combinations from the 5-digit word the same way as two digits I get three combinations, but there are 10 rattlesnakes. I'm just confused and don't want to try 1024 combinations :?
09-27-2021 at 03:46 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
icon Re: Gigantic Jewel Lost : Underground Lake : 1 North, 1 East (+1)  
The point of the five-digit "word" is that it contains every possible combination of two binary digits: 00, 01, 10, 11.

You're supposed to extend this to a "word" that contains every possible combination of three binary digits - note that the door patterns for the goblins correspond to these. Each rattlesnake represents one digit in this "word", so you have ten digits to work with.
09-27-2021 at 04:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
deftriver
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
Dragon Fogel wrote:
The point of the five-digit "word" is that it contains every possible combination of two binary digits: 00, 01, 10, 11.

You're supposed to extend this to a "word" that contains every possible combination of three binary digits - note that the door patterns for the goblins correspond to these. Each rattlesnake represents one digit in this "word", so you have ten digits to work with.

Ah, I was definitely going from word to digits not the other way around. Thanks!
09-27-2021 at 04:53 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Gigantic Jewel Lost : Underground Lake : 1 North, 1 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com