Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : GravBlox (Puzzle/Action Game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1911
IP: Logged

File: GravBlox.exe (2.6 MB)
Downloaded 73 times.
License: Public Domain
icon GravBlox (+4)  
Hey there kids and adults. I know you get bored those few minutes a day when you’re not playing DROD, so I introduce to you my latest project-- GravBlox!!

GravBlox is a puzzle/action game I’m programming using Game Maker that I hope others will enjoy playing and maybe contributing to by making comments or creating rooms. GravBlox isn’t done, but I’ve made 36 playable rooms and have a functioning room editor to boot.

GravBlox Game World
The GravBlox world is 2D viewed from the side like your standard 2D platformer and has gravity. The world contains 7 types of Blox.

Player (Yellow, Orange if inactive)- Controlled by you. Affected by gravity.
Wall (Blue)- Can not move.
Goal (Purple)- Can not move. All goals must be collected to complete a room.
Block (Green)- Can be moved. Affected by gravity.
Fire (Red)- Can not move. Destroy blocks and kill players.
Ladder (Aqua)- Can not move. Keep block and player from falling.
Switch (Silver)- Can not move. Flips gravity each time it’s triggered.

Blox can be any size and shape.

GravBlox Controls
ONLY the 4 arrow keys are required to solve all rooms.

Left, Right- Turn or move that direction. Can push up to one Blox at a time.
Up- Move up and direction facing. Can push up to one Blox at a time.
Down- Switch control between player Blox.

Note that everything moves 1 pixel at a time. Also, a player can not be controlled while falling though you can switch to another player any time.

Other room controls
PgUp/PgDn- Speed up or slow down game play.
S- Set save point.
L- Load save point.
P- Previous room.
N- Next room.
R- Restart room.
E- Go to Editor.
F4- Toggle between windowed/ full screen.
Esc- Exit game.

Editor Commands
Left Click or Insert- Place a Blox.
Right Click or Delete- Delete Blox.
Click on buttons or type the first letter of the major functions.

All levels are solvable except the end level which is an X.

So, any comments..

[Last edited by larrymurk at 03-11-2011 06:17 PM]
02-24-2011 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Grizzly
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
icon Re: GravBlox (+1)  
When I first read your description, it sounded like a puzzle game with equal-square-sized fields of manipulable content, like for example Toki Tori. But the possibility of pixel-perfect arrangement for all "heroes" and blocks makes it very difficult to create a solution path in my mind before playing and trying out.

So it's more the kind of just moving the blocks around randomly until it's possible to get over a pit or through an opening.

Also the ladder movement is very unwieldy by not being able to move down and only diagonally upwards.

So, to sum my opinion up: I like the idea with gravity change and more than one player. But the possibility to push a block partly and then move over it to first move another block a little is too difficult for me because all variations of solution approaches don't fit into the calculating part of my mind at one time. So not a game for me, sorry :?
02-24-2011 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Thanks for checking it out Grizzly.

I tried to put some training levels first, but then it jumps into a few levels that have exact solutions and then some just tough puzzles. I definitely have to put in many more "fun" levels that are interesting but not too challenging.

As for the control scheme, I always like to make a minimal number of required commands, but it does make things awkward like going up ladders. Unfortunately the pixel movement and movement rules seem to not be so intuitive either which is bad.

I'll probably play with this a little more, but I'm afraid the gameplay might just be too "unfriendly."

Thanks again for your constructive comments.
02-25-2011 at 12:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I've been playing this a couple of times now. It's not bad, but it has room for improvement.

To be honest I don't think the puzzles are the problem. You are known to make really good puzzles. The puzzles are quite good here.

1. This is a prototype. Not sure if you're releasing it now as a game, but I'd suggest if it's going to be a game, it needs more polish. But you'd know that.

For example, it would be nice if you can show the level number/name in-game. If you don't do that then I have to describe them, instead of just using the level name.

2. Pixel-Perfect Action elements does not belong in a Puzzle Platformer. Using diamond blocks to cross lava sounds fun, but it's not fun when one wrong twitch with the finger will have you restart the level again. And you'll have to do that five times. It's like me doing the three tar mother room without undo.

3. A level where the only thing you have to do is holding right for the first five seconds is not really a puzzle.

The main rule for puzzle platfomers is that all action elements must have a bit of leeway. The level mentioned in (2), for example, becomes much better if you remove one of the red blocks.

4. The puzzle elements are confusing, but that's only because you've allowed that to happen. If you make all the elements in DROD look the same except for the colour, you'll end up with this not very playable style mod. Those "ladder" tiles, for example, are confusing because they act more like "clouds", not ladders.

In fact I'd say that the puzzle mechanics are sound, and with a different implementation (new, intuitive graphics, and forgiving level design) it would turn into a pretty good puzzle platformer like Toki Tori. But I'd say it's not a gameplay problem.

02-28-2011 at 12:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Hey Tim,

Thanks for once again checking out yet another of my creations. As usual, you have fine points. I have been working on the game more so I will upload a new version when I have some more done.

I have put messages at the top of levels. Level names and numbers sound good.

I sort of like the idea that all objects CAN be any shape, but it would definitely be good to make things more recognizable if possible (especially through the training levels). And I am making more tutorial type levels.

Eventually we might see a main menu. Maybe by next weekend I'll have version 2 ready:)
02-28-2011 at 12:45 AM
larrymurk

File: GravBloxScreen.JPG (42.6 KB)
Downloaded 281 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: GravBlox (+2)  
Updated version of GravBlox now attached to top post.

Check out this screenshot to see just how cool the game now looks. Note- sarcasm intended.
Screenshot:
Click here to view the secret text

We now have a menu, some sounds, room numbers and names, reworked control scheme and much more!

[Last edited by larrymurk at 03-11-2011 06:31 PM]
03-11-2011 at 06:21 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Great work larry! There's lots of potential here and I like the way the player shape can create different puzzles types (esp the diamond shape). The pixel based vs tiled based movement as well as the controls takes some time to get used to but that's also what makes the possibilities unique.

My only niggle was the default speed of 3 was *sloooow* and I didn't at first know how to change it (I thought a future training level would teach me to run).

Looking forward to more updates :)
03-15-2011 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
icon Re: GravBlox (0)  
Syntax,
Thanks for checking out GravBlox. Glad you like it.

On room 10 I do finally get to mentioning use 1-5 to alter game speed.

I've gotta say I'm not sure what more I should do on it. I know the game should save what rooms the player has solved and there are probably a lot of little things that could be improved. Adding a story somehow might be nice. Please tell me if anyone has recommendations on what might be good to do next. I'll add rooms when the inspiration comes and please feel free to create rooms using the editor and send them to me.

I had been updating my BlockMan game not too long ago so maybe I'll get back to work on that and then everyone can check it out too.
03-16-2011 at 12:28 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : GravBlox (Puzzle/Action Game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com