Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Smith Basement (My first hold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
brian_s
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 587
IP: Logged
icon Smith Basement (+1)  
-UPDATE: I have submitted the final version of this hold to the Holds board 7-24-04. I would like to thank everyone for their input.

-UPDATE: New version of the hold posted 7-12-04

This is the first hold I have ever made which I think is good enough to publish.

Smith Basement has a total of 52 rooms spread over 9 levels.
The levels in order are 1: Food Cellar, 2: Storage, 3: Plumbing Area, 4: Rec Room, 5: The Vault, 6: Furnace Zone, 7: Woodworking Shop, 8: Storm Shelter, 9: Central Control Panel.

///There is quick access to the level hub (Central Control Panel) from the Food Cellar for testing purposes.///
The access point has been removed for the final release.

///Three rooms I think need the most attention are Rec Room 2E, Storm Shelter 1N, and Storm Shelter 1W. Please note that Rec Room 2E is currently not required.///
///
///As a whole level, The Vault should be looked over. :) ///
Level testing is complete and all errors have been fixed.

[Edited by brian_s on 07-12-2004 at 08:48 PM GMT: Updated hold]

[Edited by brian_s on 07-24-2004 at 12:38 PM GMT: Hold finished]
07-10-2004 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Smith Basement (0)  
You did a good job on this hold. Unfortunately, I just glanced over it quickly, but most of the puzzles I saw were high in origionality and creativity.

The only problem I spotted was in Plumbing Room 1N: One of the eyeballs point towards the yellow door access, which will cause it to head into a trap, making the room impossible. However, a quick adjusting will fix it.

07-10-2004 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I actually just played that room, and it's very possible. The scrolls tell you what you need to do. Great hold so far!

07-10-2004 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Ack! Foiled again!

Sorry, I've been outside in the extreme heat after having a lack of sleep. Last I checked it was 32oC in the shade. The room is VERY possible, as are the rest of the rooms I checked out.

-Patrick

07-10-2004 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
I'm having trouble with Rec Room 2E. How can I possibly kill those snakes in the lower right corner? Is there something I'm missing, or was a room element left out?

07-11-2004 at 08:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Oh, missed your note there. 2e is not required. Why is that room even accessible in this edition then?

07-11-2004 at 08:36 AM
swann_88
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
he's probably looking for suggestions how to make it better or more workable
isn't that the whole idea behind the architecture forum
to help people improve their holds?
07-11-2004 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
In the vault 1N, I can't figure out how to clear the bottom row of trap doors and return to the roach. Likewise, in 1S1E, I can't figure out how clear the top row of trap doors and return to the roach. Is that just a case of me not figuring it out, or are there unassigned doors?

07-11-2004 at 11:09 PM
brian_s
I thank everyone for your input so far.

Rec Room 2E is a work in progress. I am still designing that room.

The Vault 1N and 1S1E need to be fixed. Thanks for finding those. The trapdoors were a last minute idea.

I'll post an updated version of the hold later today.
07-12-2004 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
I have just posted a new version of my hold.

Changes were made to The Vault 1N and 1S1E and to Rec Room 2E.
07-12-2004 at 09:50 PM
swann_88
I am not getting recroom 1e at all
which way should I be facing when I hit the orb?
07-14-2004 at 05:04 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
icon Re: Smith Basement (+1)  
Click here to view the secret text

07-14-2004 at 06:49 AM
swann_88
yeah I was afraid that would be the answer
ok thanks

07-14-2004 at 05:59 PM
brian_s
I'm just wondering if anyone is still working on my hold. In particular has anyone solved Storm Shelter 1W?
07-20-2004 at 01:51 PM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
brian_s wrote:
I'm just wondering if anyone is still working on my hold. In particular has anyone solved Storm Shelter 1W?

I just finished 1W. It took me a few goes, but I got there.

Rec Room is the level that's giving me problems. A couple of tar rooms are also taking me some time, though that's cos I hate tar. The rest were good - not too difficult for my level, and also interesting enough to keep me going. Favourite levels are the last two, and favourite rooms are Woodworking Shop, 2N and Storm Shelter, 1W

07-20-2004 at 07:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
brian_s
bandit1200 wrote:

I just finished 1W. It took me a few goes, but I got there.

Rec Room is the level that's giving me problems. A couple of tar rooms are also taking me some time, though that's cos I hate tar. The rest were good - not too difficult for my level, and also interesting enough to keep me going. Favourite levels are the last two, and favourite rooms are Woodworking Shop, 2N and Storm Shelter, 1W

Thanks for the feedback. Now I know I don't need to edit Storm Shelter 1W.

Which rooms are giving you problems? Rec Room 2E is not required, I might delete that room in the final version.
07-20-2004 at 09:18 PM
bandit1200
brian_s wrote:Which rooms are giving you problems? Rec Room 2E is not required, I might delete that room in the final version.

Furnace Zone, 2S. Personally, I think people who create tar mazes should be tarred and feathered. :P A couple more checkpoints on the way in wouldn't go amiss. Of course, others probably love these rooms and think checkpoints are a cop-out.

Plumbing Area, 1E. I generally don't have much trouble with trapdoor rooms, but this one I'm finding heavy going. I'll get there.

Rec Room, 1E. It's one of those rooms where I'm short of one move all the time. I've lost count of the number of times I've started this one and failed.

That's it, I enjoyed the rest. Rec Room 1W, which I just finished, was fun leading the roach around, but

Oh yeah, Food Cellar, 1S. I didn't bother with that one at first after reading the scroll, but eventually decided to give it a go - 9793 moves! Eeep! That was the first and only time I'll do that one. Actually, it's so long and boring, yet always possible to solve (I think) that I think it shouldn't be required. IMO, of course.
07-21-2004 at 12:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
brian_s
bandit1200 wrote:

Furnace Zone, 2S. Personally, I think people who create tar mazes should be tarred and feathered. :P A couple more checkpoints on the way in wouldn't go amiss. Of course, others probably love these rooms and think checkpoints are a cop-out.

Plumbing Area, 1E. I generally don't have much trouble with trapdoor rooms, but this one I'm finding heavy going. I'll get there.

Rec Room, 1E. It's one of those rooms where I'm short of one move all the time. I've lost count of the number of times I've started this one and failed.

That's it, I enjoyed the rest. Rec Room 1W, which I just finished, was fun leading the roach around, but

Oh yeah, Food Cellar, 1S. I didn't bother with that one at first after reading the scroll, but eventually decided to give it a go - 9793 moves! Eeep! That was the first and only time I'll do that one. Actually, it's so long and boring, yet always possible to solve (I think) that I think it shouldn't be required. IMO, of course.

About Furnace Zone 2S, I will add a few checkpoints for the final version.

About Rec Room 1E,

About Plumbing Area 1E,

I will have to try Rec Room 1W how you described.
07-21-2004 at 01:39 PM
bandit1200
brian_s wrote:About Rec Room 1E,
I spotted that that was the only way to start,
I had a similar problem with a room in Doom's hold, which I finally solved, but I'm struggling with this one.

I'm more than happy to have been able to play and complete so many of the rooms. Once holds get into the holds forum and have the warp rooms taken out, or get uploaded in here with no way to access later levels, my DROD playing ability - I should say lack of - often leaves me stuck on an early level, and the hold never gets finished.
07-21-2004 at 05:05 PM
brian_s
bandit1200 wrote:
I spotted that that was the only way to start,
I had a similar problem with a room in Doom's hold, which I finally solved, but I'm struggling with this one.

The other (big) hint for Rec Room 1E is

07-22-2004 at 01:41 AM
bandit1200
brian_s wrote:The other (big) hint for Rec Room 1E is ...

Thanks, I wouldn't have got that in a month of Sundays. I finally finished the hold after completing Plumbing Area, 1E, the next time I tried it, and I *did* make a number of / moves.
Cheers!
07-22-2004 at 07:26 AM
brian_s
icon Re: Smith Basement (+1)  
I have just released my final version to the holds board. I would like to thank all the testers who gave me feedback.
07-24-2004 at 01:39 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Smith Basement (My first hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com