Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Alliances in Leylines
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
grobblewobble
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon Alliances in Leylines (0)  
I know that some of you love the Lumberjack / Druid idea. Any other Alliance ideas?

I found the Regency / Sirthe also makes an extremely effective combination. They complement each other perfectly. Well, almost, since you get no detection or magesight. But this can be fixed with magic (one sphere of mind for wizard eyes and maybe one sphere of energy for magesight).

You get javelineers, trailblazers and braves for a very strong early scouting and offense. And all of those units can be turned Revenant with a Mausoleum. Add in ghouls and Locust Swarms and you can crush any nearby opponents before the first snow falls.
But even if you somehow fail to win the game very early, you get a lovely set of long-term tools too. It includes warleaders, acolytes, assassins, hidden villages and lumberjacks. Imo any Leylines fan should try it at least once. :thumbsup
01-17-2011 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
icon Re: Alliances in Leylines (0)  
Regency and Dwarves have little synergy, I think. I learned that the hard way against you.

01-18-2011 at 12:03 AM
The Mystic
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
I just started a game with a Dwarf/Theria alliance. It's kind of light on units, but the tech tree has a lot of cheap buildings and seems to have a decent potential for quick city building.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by The Mystic at 01-18-2011 06:43 AM]
01-18-2011 at 06:42 AM
grobblewobble
Dwarf/Regency.. being able to bless and attack with phalanxes is interesting, but the phalanx isn't spectacularly good, compared to other dependent units like berserkers. The main weakness of the Regency is a lack of cheap scouts and an alliance with dwarves doesn't really help. In my opinion, the most suitable alliances for regency are sirthe and human. With human you get magesight and detection too, which gives you greater freedom in choosing magic spheres. But with sirthe you get a stronger offense.

However, IIRC the main problem you had in our game was lack of any unit with magesight and no energy magic to fill in the gap. That would usually not even have been a problem, but you were unlucky because I happened to play elves, the only race with invisible units (and cities).

Dwarf/Theria sounds interesting, never tried it. I'm curious how it will work out.

[Last edited by grobblewobble at 01-18-2011 11:51 AM]
01-18-2011 at 10:07 AM
The Mystic
grobblewobble wrote:
Dwarf/Theria sounds interesting, never tried it. I'm curious how it will work out.
It's not too bad so far; then again, I haven't gotten too far yet, and I tend to play slow. I also normally don't play as an alliance, but I decided to start a game after I first saw this thread. Here's what I've seen so far:

Most buildings in the tech tree have a very cheap upkeep, so you might not need to put so much into gold production early on.
You only have one building each that gives +1 gold/mana; fortunately, you also have two units (Channeler and Miner) that can gather resources.
You have two buildings that give a 50% bonus to movement; the combined effect gives your units a lot of movement when they leave the city. I don't know whether or not this is a bug, but it allows units to move very far very easily.
You can build Shapeshifters right away, and they make decent scouts.
You only have four militant units (Warrior, Berserker, Firewalker, and Werewolf), plus the Shapeshifter (human form) gains the militant ability when it reaches elite status. The Werewolf and elite Shapeshifter are your only non-dependent militant units.

01-19-2011 at 03:56 AM
The Mystic

File: Doppleganger.ley (23.5 KB)
Downloaded 36 times.
License: Public Domain
Here's an update on my game as a Dwarf/Theria alliance:

None of your units have the Eagle Eye ability, so you'll have to explore the world by moving one space at a time. If you want any units to have this ability, you either have to hire mercenaries or start off with at least two levels of Chaos magic.

Every space that has gold as part of its resources is a potential goldmine. All you need to do is have a Working Spider build a fortress, and fill the fortress with Miners; just make sure the Miners are within the support radius of a city or supplier. The fortress cancels out the Miners' upkeep of 1 ducat each, making every scrap of gold produced into pure profit. (Come to think of it, this might be good for a gold-heavy strategy in any game where you're playing as dwarfs, alliance or no.)

Bug report: In the city of Tliforen, I can make Doppelgangers, even though they're nowhere to be found in the tech tree. Doppelgangers require the Tesseract chamber in the Theria part of the combined tech tree, and it's not there. Attached is my saved game showing this.

01-21-2011 at 06:05 AM
The Mystic
I finished my Dwarf/Theria game; the two races actually seem fairly compatible.

I decided to try out different alliance combinations and started another game, this time as a Regency/Theria alliance. However, after four restarts, I gave up; I think there's just too much difference between the two.

02-16-2011 at 03:21 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Alliances in Leylines
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes