Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Nightmare Dungeon (Finished Hold)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged
icon Nightmare Dungeon (+3)  
Nightmare Dungeon has been updated.
Update date : 26.7 2004

Get it in holds forum.

version 1.4

Modifications to 1.31

- added levels 5,6 and 7
- some new rooms added to first 4 levels
- some fixes in existing rooms

The warp room is open because there were problems with the final version.
Click here to view the secret text

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:10-04-2004 at 08:07 PM]
07-08-2004 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Nightmare Dungeon (0)  
Well, you did a good job, Doom. I just have a couple of comments (Some of which include spoilers)

07-08-2004 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom

[Edited by Doom on 07-08-2004 at 11:06 PM GMT]
07-08-2004 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
My bad on the second. Sorry 'bout that. I had just scribbled notes down and accidentally wrote 'both' on the tar room.

And yes, the first one is easier with the invisibility potion, but where's the fun in that :)?

07-09-2004 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Invisibility potions should stay because I don't want 1st level be too hard for anyone. Let it be a challenge to not use it!
07-09-2004 at 12:49 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Nice hold - I like what I'm seeing so far. One comment:

07-09-2004 at 02:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
eytanz wrote:
Nice hold - I like what I'm seeing so far. One comment:

That has already been changed. Actually modified level 1 and complete level2 are ready. But I need to playtest lv2 and make possible changes. I'll post next version soon.
07-09-2004 at 02:17 AM
Brickman
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
I loved 1n 2w (or 1n 3w, whichever one it was with the tar and the paths where you have to choose 1). Do I have permission to use this in my next hold?

Also, I noticed you leaned towards things that LOOKED like a real puzzle but were really just a matter of spotting a hidden cracked wall and using that to sidestep an impossible challenge. It's good once (if you have to keep one, keep 1n1e), but it was used three times within the same level (and its not a very bug level).
07-09-2004 at 03:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Brickman wrote:
I loved 1n 2w (or 1n 3w, whichever one it was with the tar and the paths where you have to choose 1). Do I have permission to use this in my next hold?

I don't think it's wise to have the same level in completely different holds. But you can always make a similar room by yourself.
07-09-2004 at 11:37 AM
swann_88
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
its better to attach the new version to your first post

it is easier to find
and people won't download and play the old version that way
07-09-2004 at 01:51 PM
Doom
swann_88 wrote:
its better to attach the new version to your first post

it is easier to find
and people won't download and play the old version that way

Sorry. I forgot to remove it.
07-09-2004 at 02:01 PM
eytanz
Ok, just finished level 1 (new version). I really like it - 1N2W is a room I really regret not coming up with myself, it's such a great concept and great execution as well. I'm looking forward to working on level 2, just after I do some work...

[Edited by eytanz on 07-09-2004 at 02:22 PM GMT]

07-09-2004 at 03:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Ok, so I've decided to do the work later and just play level 2 now. A few comments:

1S1W - really needs a checkpoint.

2W - I read the scroll first time I was in the room.

1N2W - Is a really great room, especially the second part.

Overall, I found the level very good and original, but a bit uneven - some rooms were trivially easy (1N, 2N1E), others were very tough (1E, which I still have to solve).

And, of course:

07-09-2004 at 04:00 PM
Doom
eytanz wrote:
1S1W - really needs a checkpoint.

I think I add one soon.
----------
2W - I read the scroll first time I was in the room.

That did work before. The orb that shut the scroll door seems to gone, It worked when I tested it earlier.
----------
1N2W - Is a really great room, especially the second part.
Thanks
----------
And, of course:
07-09-2004 at 04:19 PM
Brickman
Doom wrote:
Brickman wrote:

I don't think it's wise to have the same level in completely different holds. But you can always make a similar room by yourself.
That's what I meant. I was asking to use a room similar to that using the same concept, but obviously not the exact same room.
07-09-2004 at 06:25 PM
gds
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
I have to agree with eytanz, it's a good hold with some non-trivial puzzles that kept me entertained. That level 2, 1E was quite a stumper. My favorite room, overall, was L1 1N1E, because of the little trick you've made with the trapdoors.

I'm just going to add to the request for checkpoints. I'd like one in L2 2N under the serpent somewhere near the bottom and in L2 1E under the east tar mother.
07-09-2004 at 06:35 PM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
The warp room in 1S is required. You have to visit it to open the blue door in level 1.

07-09-2004 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
I noticed that warp room thing by myself, and it's fixed in next version. Brickman : Feel free to make similar room.
For the checkpoints,

I don't think there's a good place for a checkpoint in L2 2N, And it's quite small room, anyway.

L2 1E, Should be easy to finish after you get rid of snakes. Maybe one in the middle passage.
07-09-2004 at 11:25 PM
Brickman
Level 2 has some pretty sneaky puzzles, I wasn't expecting puzzles that good in a first hold (origionality, mabey. Hard but enjoyable puzzles, no). Your changes to level one were mostly good, except 1n1e was better before (taking out the cracked walls made it too obvious, and the roach queen really doesn't belong there. Also, 1n2w really wasn't any better the second time than the first. It wasn't worth redoing as it was good already. And 1w didn't really need for you to change the solution, just mabey remove the cracked walls.
07-10-2004 at 03:11 AM
masonjason
This is indeed a great hold. I think L2 1S2W could do with a checkpoint.

07-10-2004 at 10:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Updated version is available. (See the first post)

Brickman wrote:
Also, 1n2w really wasn't any better the second time than the first. It wasn't worth redoing as it was good already.

I kinda messed with 1n2w... It's pretty much back to original by now. (I had trouble as I accidentally deleted my newer version of the hold, I had to redo a few rooms.) I found the old one from older version and copied it.
----------
And 1w didn't really need for you to change the solution, just mabey remove the cracked walls.

1w's solution was changed but it didn't work correct. Now it's fixed.
07-12-2004 at 01:23 AM
eytanz
Yes. I can vouch that the room is possible in 1.1 because I solved all the rooms in 1.1; I didn't play 1.2 but I think it hasn't changed.

07-12-2004 at 11:51 AM
gamer_extreme_101
As much as I loved the previous levels, level 3 ROCKED!!!

After playing the majority of the rooms, I absolutly LOVED the eyeball/roach queen maze. The only thing that upset me in the level was the fact that I hadn't come up with them first :( .

07-12-2004 at 04:30 PM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Someone put me out of my misery for L2 1E.

edit: Level 3. If you visit 1S2W before completing the rest of the rooms, you can't get back through 2W

[Edited by bandit1200 on 07-13-2004 at 11:40 AM GMT]
07-13-2004 at 12:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
bandit1200 wrote:
Hmm... Problems with L2 1E?
Ok, here's a hint.

07-14-2004 at 12:46 PM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Thanks, though I already managed to complete that one at 3:30 this morning. Being an insomniac has it's advantages occasionally. I have two rooms to finish to open the blue door on level three - 1S1E and 3W. Both are giving me grief.

Excellent hold.

07-14-2004 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
In level 3, in the room with the writing, if you go in before solving all the other rooms, you can't return to solve them.

07-14-2004 at 05:15 PM
Doom
eytanz wrote:
In level 3, in the room with the writing, if you go in before solving all the other rooms, you can't return to solve them.

That's a problem I didn't notice earlier. It's fixed in next version. (I´ve done 3 rooms and entrance for level 4 so it takes propably a while.) Try to keep away of that room until that.

Don't go south from 2W until you´ve conquered every other room. !
07-14-2004 at 05:31 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
The message on the scroll in the upper left corner of 1N1W on level 3 is not true.

07-14-2004 at 06:41 PM
masonjason
Doom wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:
Hmm... Problems with L2 1E?
Ok, here's a hint.

I still can't solve this room. Something more explicit?

07-14-2004 at 10:06 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Nightmare Dungeon (Finished Hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com