Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Vulnerable mimics (why not?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Brickman
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
IP: Logged
icon Vulnerable mimics (0)  
I like rooms where beethro and 1-4 mimics line up side by side and slay a huge number of roaches. It looks cool, has the tactical "where do I put the mimic" thing to prevent it from being a braindead slashfest, and goes twice-four times as fast as a normal slashfest with the same enemy force. But it doesn't go as nicely as it should. The enemies only go for beethro, so after a while the mimic is slashing at air. Also they never hurt the mimic--he's like a wall with a sword attached in these situations. So I propose: vulnerable mimics.
enemies would attack them anytime they are closer than beethro or if beethro is blocked and the mimic is the same distance. If an enemy hits him, he dies and beethro must fend for himself.
There's plenty of puzzle potential. First, look at everything normal mimics add in terms of puzzles (subtract snakes). Then imagine if in this case, you have to protect the mimic. He's basically a second beethro with limited control over movement. You no longer get to summon a mimic into a horde of monsters and have him spin, you must do it like a real battle. It also has coolness potential: imagine tandem battles, either side-by-side or in different places at the same time. That would be cool.
07-07-2004 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Vulnerable mimics (0)  
People on the development team have said conclusively (or as close as they get to conclusively) that there will be monsters that can kill mimics in JtRH. So there ya go :)

07-08-2004 at 03:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Brickman
Yay! I knew it was a good idea.
Hey look! My first proposal got accepted. I must know what a good idea is, right? (unless its a fluke)
07-08-2004 at 03:52 PM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
Brickman wrote:
Yay! I knew it was a good idea.
Hey look! My first proposal got accepted. I must know what a good idea is, right? (unless its a fluke)

Don't worry, its a fluke. :D
07-08-2004 at 08:48 PM
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
....because I hate the mimics already ! Why make them nastier ? :angry

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
08-12-2004 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Here's a strange question - what would the mimics be made out of that would be so attractive to the roaches? Tofu? No offence, just wondering what mimics are made out of anyway. :?
08-18-2004 at 12:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Brickman
Mimics are basically organisms that look like beethro but are teleconnetically linked to his brain and act as he does.
08-24-2004 at 10:31 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Vulnerable mimics (why not?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com