Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: Dusty Dungeon (This hold can now be found in the Holds-section)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
IP: Logged

File: Dusty Dungeon.hold (22.3 KB)
Downloaded 67 times.
License: Other
icon New Hold: Dusty Dungeon (+3)  
I've completed the hold and submitted it to the Holds-section. Download the final version from there.

Here's three levels to a new hold I've been putting together. As this is my first hold ever, it might not be that good, but someone may enjoy it. At least I do. :)

The hold contains a little bit of everything, but some of the rooms require a great deal of efficiency.

I've playtested it, and all the rooms are solveable. However, there might still be bugs (other than roaches) I've overlooked.

The hold is anyone-edit for testing purposes. Enjoy!

[Edited by Stefan on 07-12-2004 at 03:08 PM GMT: Updated hold - level two available!]

[Edited by Stefan on 07-16-2004 at 02:28 AM GMT: Updated hold - see other post for details]

[Edited by Stefan on 08-06-2004 at 01:57 PM GMT: Updated hold - level three available!]

[Edited by Stefan on 08-23-2004 at 11:32 PM GMT: Updated hold - final version (I think)]

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:09-22-2004 at 04:01 PM: Hold completed]
07-05-2004 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
swann_88
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
icon Re: New Hold: Dusty Dungeon (0)  
I've playtested it, and all the rooms are solveable.

I was getting ready to argue this point
but I finally solved the entrance so I know at least 1 room is solvable
I will see if I can get anywhere on some of the other "impossible" rooms
07-07-2004 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Sorry about that... :)

If this hold gets several levels, that entrance will not be the entrance to the first level as it's too difficult. I might also put the northwest section in another room, the room is hard enough without it (and it is a separate puzzle that I put there just because it was the first puzzle I did (my first puzzle ever)).

Another room I might change or remove completely is 2S2E: it's a bit boring and doesn't really have any real puzzle content other than hack&slash.

If you've played Claythro Tower, you shouldn't have a big problem with the other rooms though (some of the puzzles are of a similar nature).

07-07-2004 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gds
Rank Points: 50
swann_88 wrote:
I will see if I can get anywhere on some of the other "impossible" rooms
Lol. Stefan, I guess you haven't had any feedback on this hold yet because it is actually a very challenging hold. Considering, this is your first hold, I'm very impressed.

I'm also believing you on the solvability of the rooms but I must say I'm pulling my hair on 3S1E and 2S. The later is very frustating as I always get to the potion one turn too late. The only other room I haven't solved is 3S. That's because I haven't tried it.

I haven't found any problem so far. My only request is a savepoint in 2S2E, either under the brain or just next to it. I almost gave up this room in frustration. Mind you, now I know by heart all the steps to reach the brain in less than 3 spawn cycles.
07-07-2004 at 05:45 PM
gds
Rank Points: 50
I actually didn't find the entrance too difficult. The top part is an interesting puzzle that fits well with the room and as you don't have to worry about it until you've dealt with everything else, I would leave it there.

2S2E would be a boring hack and slash if there wasn't the 2-square wide corridor before the brain. As it is, it is a challenging efficiency puzzle. Particularly as you still have to worry about that corridor after you've dealt with the brain. I would leave it there as well (but put the savepoint).
07-07-2004 at 05:58 PM
Stefan
gds wrote:
Lol. Stefan, I guess you haven't had any feedback on this hold yet because it is actually a very challenging hold. Considering, this is your first hold, I'm very impressed.
Thank you.
I'm also believing you on the solvability of the rooms but I must say I'm pulling my hair on 3S1E and 2S. The later is very frustating as I always get to the potion one turn too late.
It's possible to get to it so that when you step on it, the tar mother has it's eyes closed.
I haven't found any problem so far.
Well I have, read below...
My only request is a savepoint in 2S2E, either under the brain or just next to it. I almost gave up this room in frustration. Mind you, now I know by heart all the steps to reach the brain in less than 3 spawn cycles.
You should not kill the brain before the tar mothers, I guess I have to think of something to restrict that... :evil:

07-07-2004 at 06:07 PM
Stefan
gds wrote:
2S2E would be a boring hack and slash if there wasn't the 2-square wide corridor before the brain. As it is, it is a challenging efficiency puzzle. Particularly as you still have to worry about that corridor after you've dealt with the brain. I would leave it there as well (but put the savepoint).
Sorry, my mistake, I was talking about 3S2E

07-07-2004 at 06:10 PM
Stefan
Actually, come to think of it, it could be a good thing to leave 2S2E as it is (with the checkpoint). That way it would have alternate solutions and one of them could be posted as a challenge...

General question: Should I post a new version of the hold every time I make minor changes to it, or should I wait until I have enough new material for a whole level?

07-07-2004 at 06:15 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I usually wait until my next level is ready before I release minor changes, unless it's something that makes a room broken and unable to solve.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
07-07-2004 at 06:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Yeah, but you (Red) were building levels very, very quickly at the time - if Stefan is 80% done on his next level I'd say wait, but otherwise, it doesn't hurt to release a new version so that new people who play the hold won't complain about the same stuff over and over again.

I've only played the entrance so far, but I like it, though I agree the NW corner would work better as a seperate room - and I'm curious if there's a way to shorten the early "kill a lot of roaches to empty the room" part of that puzzle; it's an interesting enough puzzle to be worth the tedium, but it'd be better without it. Not that I have any ideas, mind you.

07-07-2004 at 06:59 PM
Stefan
eytanz wrote:
I've only played the entrance so far, but I like it, though I agree the NW corner would work better as a seperate room - and I'm curious if there's a way to shorten the early "kill a lot of roaches to empty the room" part of that puzzle; it's an interesting enough puzzle to be worth the tedium, but it'd be better without it. Not that I have any ideas, mind you.
Try this if you're not already doing it:
Click here to view the secret text

07-07-2004 at 07:41 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I did that. Still, took too long and was essentially finger-torture.

07-07-2004 at 07:42 PM
swann_88
ok well I haven't got a lot further

the entrance most of my problem was figuring out which way to move out of the center after that it was not bad
it did take me 4 spawn cycles to get into the northwest chamber in a position to do anything though but thats no big deal since you choose when to try the room
if the door wasn't there it would be a different story

I am still working on the path through the maze if I ever make it I will think it was very well done until then ARRRGH!

1s? the room in 2 parts I have completed

2s? with the snake no clue it takes me 33 moves to get to the potion no matter what I do
07-09-2004 at 08:43 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
swann_88 wrote:
2s? with the snake no clue it takes me 33 moves to get to the potion no matter what I do

I've been able to do it in 31 moves(ARGH!). The only thing that slows me down are those eyeballs.

07-09-2004 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
2S was hard. Hint

I still can't solve that trapdoor maze. I am not very good at doing those sort of rooms.
07-10-2004 at 01:49 AM
Stefan
A lot of people seem to be having difficulties with 2S. I recently found a way to get to the potion in 27 moves. Here's a hint (perhaps a bit too revealing):

I usually solve difficult trapdoor-puzzles on paper... (I did so with this one too)

I still have three rooms left on level two, so you just have to wait a little more!
Some of the rooms there are quite devilish if you're a beginner... They're fun if you're experienced though (or at least I thought they were fun ;)).
I guess I have to make an easier level to put in the beginning of the hold. :)

[Edited by Stefan on 07-12-2004 at 03:02 AM GMT: typo]

07-12-2004 at 04:01 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I didn't do that. But then I only made it on move 29.
07-12-2004 at 06:00 AM
Stefan
Ok, level two is now available (see attachment in the beginning of the thread) :smile

Again, all the rooms are solvable, but if you think there is something wrong, just ask. Comments are also appreciated (both positive and negative).

Enjoy!

07-12-2004 at 04:24 PM
Stefan
As progress is slow with the third level (it will become the first level when this hold is finished, so it's going to be easier) and as I've made some major changes to some of the rooms (mostly on level two), I have decided to update the hold (attachment in first post). Download the new hold if you like, but if you don't want to lose your savegames, you can still play the old version. Just be aware of that there is a bug: If you conquer 1W (on level 2) and take the east exit, you won't be able to enter 1N1W anymore.

Changes:
Level 1 - 2S: I changed the position of the trapdoors to make the room less repetitive.
Level 1 - 3S2E: Made the room more interesting. It's still very easy, though.
Level 2 - 1S: Removed some wraithwings (made the slashfest in the beginning a bit shorter)
Level 2 - 1W: Fixed bug (see above)
Level 2 - 1N2W: Changed the upper left part to what it was meant to be. Added a challenge scroll (very hard challenge, took me hours)
Level 2 - 2N2W: Removed the evil eyes surrounding the room (they were unnecessary)
Level 2 - 2N1W: Remade the orb-puzzle completely. Now it works as it should.

Please tell me about your progress with this hold, or if you're playing it at all. If you're stuck with a room, just ask for help. This thread has been a bit dead recenlty (I'm starting to get worried here... :unsure )

07-16-2004 at 03:25 AM
swann_88
well I came back to this tonight got 2s almost immediately
funny how easy it is to see the answer sometimes when you go away for a while and come back
also got 3s interesting how that worked
finally solved the maze too
very good job don't find many that are that difficult
right now working on my efficiency in the tar mother room but I probably won't be playing much for a week or two
07-17-2004 at 05:47 AM
Stefan
swann_88 wrote:
also got 3s interesting how that worked
Yes, playtesting (trying to solve) this room was fun
finally solved the maze too
very good job don't find many that are that difficult
It seems that it's more difficult to think diagonally.
right now working on my efficiency in the tar mother room but I probably won't be playing much for a week or two
I think it's easier to kill the tar mothers before the brain, but I'm not sure (still haven't managed to do it the other way).
07-21-2004 at 08:21 PM
Stefan
Level three is now available! Download the attachment in the first post.

I made some minor changes to some rooms on the earlier levels, and I changed the "extreme efficiency"-room on level two so that it is a bit more difficult, but it is not required anymore (it was a bit unfair to have it required).

Level three was meant to be easier (It was meant to be the first level in the final release), but my definition of easy might be a bit twisted :fun There is an insanely difficult room (not required), but other than that it should be easier, as the rooms rely more on "small puzzles".

Enjoy it! (I hope you're still playing...)

08-06-2004 at 03:11 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: New Hold: Dusty Dungeon (+1)  
I just picked up the hold recently, and although not playing seriously with the intent of completing rooms, I have one or two observations to make. As an overall hold, it's rather challenging, although some of the solutions are at the same time interesting.

Some specific notes on rooms that I looked at (I haven't completed many of them yet):

Apart from that, I have only glanced at the rest of the rooms. When I find time and motivation (I'm very tired right now) to test them properly, then I'll give more feedback later.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 08-07-2004 at 08:18 PM GMT]

08-06-2004 at 05:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
agaricus5 wrote:
I just picked up the hold recently, and although not playing seriously with the intent of completing rooms, I have one or two observations to make. As an overall hold, it's rather challenging, although some of the solutions are at the same time interesting.
Yes, that was the general idea of the hold (although I didn't think it was as challenging as it seems to be)
Some specific notes on rooms that I looked at (I haven't completed many of them yet):
Apart from that, I have only glanced at the rest of the rooms. When I find time and motivation (I'm very tired right now) to test them properly, then I'll give more feedback later.
Thanks for the feedback, it was much appreciated! :thumbsup

08-08-2004 at 11:38 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838

Oh, and a comment:

L3 1S 2E is an interesting room, although I killed the mother only after one spawn cycle, which seemed easy compared to what I was expecting.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 08-16-2004 at 07:42 PM GMT]

08-09-2004 at 12:12 AM
Stefan
agaricus5 wrote:
Well, I'm feeling generous right now, and a bit bored. Since I have finished Bavato's Dungeon, and so am not really building anything at the moment, would you like some hold-building help?
Maybe, although I'm not sure how it would work.

Oh, and a comment:

L3 1S 2E is an interesting room, although I killed the mother only after one spawn cycle, which seemed easy compared to what I was expecting.
It would be a lot harder if the area would be bigger and the tar-mother would be harder to get to (as in the room it was inspired by), but then it wouldn't fit on the first level (the third level will probably be the first in the final hold, hence the level introduction). I can make it a lot more difficult, if you think that would be appropriate.

08-09-2004 at 02:25 AM
Stefan
icon Re: New Hold: Dusty Dungeon (+1)  
You can now grab the final version from the beginning of the thread! :)

There are no new levels, but some of the rooms have been modified quite a bit. There's also an entirely new room.

I will let this hold be here for a couple of weeks so that people have time to playtest. On thursday I'll be going on a two-week trip down to Prague, so I'll maybe submit the hold to the Holds-section sometime after I get back (if nothing has come up that needs fixing)

Changes:
I changed the order of the levels (if you think the order is still wrong, please tell me). I also changed the ending and the description of the third level. The story (huh? what story?) still sucks, but I can't really do anything about that.

First Level (former Third Level):
1S: Eliminated the trivial solution.
1S1E: Redefined the orbs for the east puzzle. It's a bit more interesting now.
1S2E: Made the room a bit harder.

Second Level (former First Level):
I've made some minor changes to 1E and 1S1E (the puzzles remain the same).
The Entrance: Replaced the NW puzzle (it has been moved to a new room on this level) and made some modifications to the appearance.
1S: Added a few trapdoors.
2S: The trapdoors under the tar are visible now (I changed the pattern to make it more aesthetically pleasing). Also, if you screw up, you will definitely notice it.
1S2E: I found an easy solution to this one, so I added a couple of serpents (please tell me if you think there are too many now).

Third Level (former Second Level):
2N1W: Added scrolls and redefined the mystery orb. Also did some cosmetic changes (it looks better on the map now).
1N2W: Changed the NW puzzle again. Still not what I had in mind, but it will have to do (for the time being...).
1N: Removed some mimic potions (the maze is still the same) and eliminated a trivial solution (two, actually).
1E: Removed the orbs (and the doors)
1N1W: Changed the text on the scroll.

Enjoy!

[Edited by Stefan on 08-23-2004 at 11:47 PM GMT]

08-24-2004 at 12:46 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: Dusty Dungeon (This hold can now be found in the Holds-section)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com