Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Making Slayers a Required Target (Problems with scripting in 3.0)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
MHighbrow
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 153
IP: Logged
icon Making Slayers a Required Target (+1)  
I've made a room with two Slayers and a fegundo. The idea is that the player has to kill the Slayers with the fegundo, naturally.

I'm entirely new to scripting, and I'm trying to figure out how to make slayers be required to die to drop the green gate. After some poking around, I ended up with two custom characters, each with the Slayer graphic, and each with the script:

Imperative required target
Turn into monster

This doesn't work, although the Slayers themselves act normally. I tried adding a roach, since the script help files say that the Required Target script needs the room to not otherwise be clean, but then all the player needs to do is kill the roach.

What am I doing wrong? If this isn't possible, it's no big deal - I'll use normal Slayers and put an inaccessible roach somewhere for the fegundo. I'd appreciate any help, though.

(As for getting the scripts to end once the room is conquered, I'll worry about that if I ever get around to organising my rooms into levels.)
10-03-2010 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Timo006
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 518
icon Re: Making Slayers a Required Target (+10)  
I'm sorry to say that that isn't possible that way. the "Turn in Monster" command cancels all imperatives, meaning that you just end up with a normal slayer.

An approach that works is by placing a slayer in a sealed area, and put in an NPC with the command "wait while entity slayer is at ...". The selected area should be the entire room.

This means that while the slayer is there, the NPC will wait to execute further commands unless the slayer leaves the selected area. (this can be achieved by either luring the slayer out of the selected area, or killing him)

Then, put in a yellow door with an associated pressure plate. Add the command "activate object at (pressure plate location)" after the "wait" command. This simply means that the door only opens when all slayers within the room are killed.

If you want to have slayers that do not reappear, simply put NPC's in the room with slayer Graphics with the following commands:

"End when Killed"
"Turn into Monster"

[Last edited by Timo006 at 10-03-2010 11:44 PM]
10-03-2010 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MHighbrow
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 153
icon Re: Making Slayers a Required Target (0)  
Ah, I understand now. Thanks!

I'm not too happy with the idea of other NPCs in the room/level yet (unless you mean invisible ones like the ones that operate cutscenes), so I might just let the Slayers live and go with the inaccessible roach. I'll save this anyway, though, since I'll probably have a use for it later. Thanks again!
10-04-2010 at 04:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Timo006
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 518
icon Re: Making Slayers a Required Target (+1)  
Actually, the extra NPC should be invisible. (you can always make it visible, but to what purpose?)

[Last edited by Timo006 at 10-04-2010 05:04 PM]
10-04-2010 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Making Slayers a Required Target (Problems with scripting in 3.0)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com