Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Another Brain Oddity
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged

File: Brain+eyes bug.jpg (98 KB)
Downloaded 76 times.
License: Other
icon Another Brain Oddity (0)  
Forgive me: I didn't look to see if this had already been posted or not, but I found another brain problem.

If you look at the attached graphic, the eyes are not going around the line of eyes pointed West. I tried making a hold that had that effect, and got the same results. The eyes will not move around the stationary eyes. All they will do is move up and down constantly until you get about 3-4 tiles below the clearing at the top. That's when they are finally able to move around them properly. Amount of eyes or size of the "wall of eyes" doesn't seem to matter.

Edit: After a bit more diagnosis, I found out 2 more things. First, it happens to all enemies. None of them seem to be smart enough to lift themselves out of it.

Secondly, and more interestingly, if you move away from them, they will start moving higher and higher until they finally make it over the "wall". I hope this all helps!

-Patrick

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-03-2004 at 10:47 PM GMT: Found out a bit more]

07-03-2004 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: Another Brain Oddity (+1)  
This is also known behavior. Brains do not treat monsters (except snakes) as obstacles, and will not try to route around them. The brain generally assumes monsters will be likely to move out of the way, which is obviously incorrect for inactive eyeballs. In fact, you can really confuse a brain by making walls out of brains, which (of course) will never move.

They will eventually go around the eyeball wall as you move away because eventually all the squares on the side of the wall are the same L-infinity distance away (if that makes sense).

++Adam H. Peterson
07-04-2004 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Another Brain Oddity (+1)  
There's a simple reason for this - brains can't see other monsters (or even themselves) when calculating the shortest path to you. So, they tell the eyes to go straight to you; but the other eyes are in the way, so the eyes can't follow the brain's path. Instead, they move to the next best square, which means the square closest to you that's not blocked by an eye. To go around the eyes, they'll need at some point to go to a square that's further from you then the one they are in now - but the brain won't allow them to do that, because as far as it is concerned, the eyes have a clear path to you and every other path is a mistake.

Oh, Adam already answered while I was writing this. Oh well, nothing wrong with two versions of the same answer.

[Edited by eytanz on 07-03-2004 at 11:31 PM GMT]

07-04-2004 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Another Brain Oddity
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com