Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Tar gates
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
the-last-but-1-supper
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon Tar gates (+1)  
After thinking a while about it, I thought I should ask the forums about what you think.
This one is about the gates that opens when you have killed all the tar/mud enemies in the room. I know that orbs send some kind of electrical shock, I know that pressure plates have clockwork under the floor, but how the heck can a tar/mud gate work? You cant just bind a door to a living creature. That would be magic of some sort. Unless the door is a living being that is dependent of the tar in the room and dies if there is nothing there?! :frusty Please, explain this.

-Felix

Welcome, folks! Welcome to the Grand Finale, with terrors of the mind and deadly rooms of death.
07-29-2010 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Tar gates (0)  
The same applies to all other doors too ;)
07-29-2010 at 09:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Aren't all the non-yellow doors engineered in some way to detect what is in the room or the level? Seems like the most likely explanation.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

07-29-2010 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1305
icon Re: Tar gates (+1)  
Actually, orbs and pressure plates work using hydraulics.
07-30-2010 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
There are little creatures in the pits that open the doors. Orbs do nothing.

07-30-2010 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
a wizard does it
07-30-2010 at 01:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
the-last-but-1-supper
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Oh man! I forgot what happened in TCB.
"The hydraulics are down. I can kill those hydra-whatsits for you!"
:lol

Welcome, folks! Welcome to the Grand Finale, with terrors of the mind and deadly rooms of death.
07-30-2010 at 09:15 AM
bwross
Rank Points: 376
Rabscuttle wrote:
a wizard does it

You mean "sufficiently advanced technology" does it... I don't see any wizards in DROD.

Although, in the case of black doors the technology doesn't need to be that advanced. Tarstuff sits on the floor and is very heavy... you could easily detect that with a pressure plates installed under each floor with springs designed for a much heavier threshold than the normal ones.

Green and blue doors are the tricky ones... monsters that fly and monsters that don't count against them have to be addressed. Red doors are, of course, trivial.
08-03-2010 at 07:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Tar gates (+3)  
Hmm... Perhaps green doors detect an ultra-high pitched that all required monsters constantly emit. Perhaps this high pitched sound (too high for any Abovegrounder or Beneather to hear) is the reason why people call some monsters 'required' and some monsters 'unrequired'. It's simply how a green door reacts to the sounds of various monsters.

Blue doors are much better at detecting this tone. Therefore, they can 'listen' to the high pitched sound monsters make across rooms. Although, because this detection tool isn't always reliable (it's always reliable in the game, but not always in lore and story), architects have gotten used to adding green doors to every room with monsters that emit the high pitched sound. Green doors communicate their status via constant radio signals to the blue door, which appropriately deems the status of green doors and, subsequently, conquering of a level in general.

Unrequired rooms emit a counter signal strong enough to oppose the high pitched sound monsters make but not too strong to prevent any green doors in that room from 'hearing' the monsters.

Strange theory, yah?

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 08-05-2010 10:47 PM]
08-03-2010 at 10:32 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
bwross wrote:
Rabscuttle wrote:
a wizard does it

You mean "sufficiently advanced technology" does it... I don't see any wizards in DROD.

An invisible wizard does it.
08-04-2010 at 07:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
icon Re: Tar gates (+2)  
Odd, I don't remember not seeing any invisible wizards in DROD.

08-04-2010 at 07:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
The Empire monitors all tar, mud, and even the forbidden gel in the realm. Some of its control is in form of special doors, each equipped with a doorman which is in turn equipped with an invisibility potion.

It's not magic, it's not technology, when Beethro destroys the last piece of tar, a boring guy in a suit opens the door for him.

08-05-2010 at 09:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484

File: wizard.png (740 KB)
Downloaded 233 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Tar gates (+4)  
Snacko wrote:
Odd, I don't remember not seeing any invisible wizards in DROD.
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by eb0ny at 08-05-2010 11:07 PM]
08-05-2010 at 11:07 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Tar gates
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com