Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Shotgun! A Pictorial Contest for May/June (Pictures taken from the passenger seat (aka Our Contest for May/June))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
IP: Logged
icon Shotgun! A Pictorial Contest for May/June (+6)  
I think we should have another contest (and mrimer agrees, having asked me to run this one). In the interest of allowing participation from non-architects (such as myself, for example, although I won't be participating), I want this one to be a non-architecture contest. And, in fact, this contest has little to do with DROD at all.

Also, let's have a longer lead time on this, to really give people a chance to see what they can do with this one.

So, without further ado, I present:

Shotgun shooting (photos, that is)

Have you ever been riding along in the passenger seat of a car and suddenly spied something really...odd...out of the window? Examples may include a goat standing on top of a cow's back, or a tree made entirely out of aluminum, or a tribe of yeti in matching kilts.

You say to the driver 'Did you see that?', and of course the driver has not, because he (or she) is busy driving, and all you're doing is sitting there, wishing you had a camera so that you could prove that it wasn't just that second helping of sauerkraut at lunch causing you to hallucinate.

Well...maybe that will still happen from time to time. But this time, you'll be prepared, because you'll have a camera with you!

This is a simple contest about showing us something weird. The goal is to try to take your own photo of the most unusual thing you've ever seen while driving along a road. The "shotgun" part refers to sitting in the front passenger seat, a good place to snap photos from. We conscientiously hope no one will try to snap photos while they are in the driver's seat...unless you feel especially daring and your insurance can take it, I guess. (Caravel Games is not responsible for any accidents caused by ill-advised camera/driving mixing.)

Rules:
1) This contest will from from today until 11:59PM EST on June 12th. This gives you plenty of time to find the weirdest thing you can imagine. Studies have shown that most weird photographs are taken within two weeks of Memorial Day, so you should be all set in either direction.
2) An entry for this contest takes the form of a photograph, which must be taken during the active running time of the contest. No fair digging up your old weird pictures -- go out and make some new ones! This is about spontaneous art!
3) The picture must be taken from a car -- the idea is, as the above text states, to grab a picture of something unusual that you see while sitting in the shotgun seat. The picture must be one taken by you or a companion -- pulling pictures off of the web is not permitted.
4) Digital photos are probably best, but scans of film-based shots are acceptable.
5) Each participant may submit up to three entries. Each entry will be judged separately, except that a given contestant may only win one prize -- if someone manages to submit the top three photos in the contest, the second and third place prizes will go to whomever is next in line. (And the person submitting the top three photos will probably be extra awesome. But I digress.)
6) Forum standards of appropriateness continue to apply. Please don't post anything that you wouldn't be able to get away with posting somewhere else on the forum.
7) It should go without saying, but just in case: this is a photo contest, not a Photoshop contest. Using Photoshop to sharpen a blurry image or otherwise present your picture in the best light is OK. Using Photoshop to add teh cute kitteh riding an invisible bicycle to your picture: not OK.

After all photos have been submitted, we'll take votes.

The first place photo will net its creator 100 rank points and a prize of their choice from the prize pile.

The second place photo will be worth 50 rank points.

Third place is a set of steak knives...er, 25 rank points.

As usual, all first-time contest participants will automatically receive 10 rank points over and above any regular prize award that they may receive.

But that's not all! Contest management reserves the right to award, either through extra polls or spontaneous fiat, additional bonus awards that celebrate particularly unusual or visually pleasing photos. More on that later. For now, it must remain a mystery (until we see some photos and decide what to do).

Entries will be judged on how much everyone agrees you have taken a picture of the weirdest, oddest, most random thing you would expect to see while driving. It could be something in or on another vehicle, something by the side of the road, a weather phenomenon, or some otherwise unusual occurrence observable from your vehicle. The quality of the photo shouldn't directly influence judgment, as long as it is clear what is in your picture.

Watch for a submission topic coming to a Contest board near you. [EDIT: Here it is!] But really, take your time -- you have over a month for this one, plenty of time to settle into your bucket seat and wait for something really weird to come along.

[Last edited by jbluestein at 05-13-2010 08:07 PM]
05-10-2010 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
icon Re: Shotgun! A Pictorial Contest for May/June (0)  

Nice one jb! :D

Are crappy-phone low-res images valid?
I cannot take my camera around everywhere...
05-10-2010 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Bombadil wrote:
Are crappy-phone low-res images valid?
I cannot take my camera around everywhere...

It depends on whether you can adequately capture your subject with the phone camera. Note that quality isn't really a requirement, but nevertheless people may choose to vote that way.

Josh

05-10-2010 at 07:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
This looks like a fun contest. I might join! :)

But first, a question:
I often ride in the back seat of a car. That's not exactly the passenger seat. Do pictures taken from there count?

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
05-10-2010 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Wonderful idea!!!

Can we bump this up to official contest level Please!!!

I got my cameras ready :guns

05-11-2010 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
I see the inside of a car maybe once a month on average. Can I shoot from buses, trams and trains? (No, I won't try to combine bicycles with cameras.)
05-11-2010 at 10:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
12th Archivist wrote:
But first, a question:
I often ride in the back seat of a car. That's not exactly the passenger seat. Do pictures taken from there count?

Yes indeed. It doesn't even actually have to be taken from a car at all -- but the theme is sort of along the lines of a 'found art' idea. You're not trying to set up a weird/cute shot, you're just happening across it. And what better place for that than from a car?

Josh

05-11-2010 at 03:39 PM
jbluestein
icon Re: Shotgun! A Pictorial Contest for May/June (+1)  
techant wrote:
Wonderful idea!!!

Hi techant --

This is the official contest for May/June. We're all about fulfilling wishes here.

Josh

05-11-2010 at 03:40 PM
jbluestein
Znirk wrote:
I see the inside of a car maybe once a month on average. Can I shoot from buses, trams and trains? (No, I won't try to combine bicycles with cameras.)

I'd say that buses, trams and trains are consistent with the general idea of the contest. See my previous comments.

Josh

05-11-2010 at 03:41 PM
techant
jbluestein wrote:
techant wrote:
Wonderful idea!!!

Hi techant --

This is the official contest for May/June. We're all about fulfilling wishes here.

Josh

Cool now I just have to find away to get out of the driver seat...can I stop and take a picture?

05-12-2010 at 07:59 AM
jbluestein
techant wrote:
Cool now I just have to find away to get out of the driver seat...can I stop and take a picture?

Of course! Please do that rather than try to take a picture while driving!

Josh

05-12-2010 at 10:37 AM
jbluestein
OK, folks -- I've been pretty quiet up to this point, but I wanted to remind you that we do have a contest going on here!

There are only about ten days left to post your submissions. Plenty of time, perhaps...no doubt you are all honing your photography skills, waiting for the perfect snap. But you can only wait so long...

Josh

06-02-2010 at 02:30 PM
techant
Got my entry in!! :thumbsup

06-05-2010 at 10:41 AM
jbluestein
Three and a half days left, folks!

All you have to do is take a digital picture and post it to the submission topic. Could it be any easier?

Josh

06-09-2010 at 08:21 PM
jbluestein
OK, contest has officially closed. Thanks to all who entered.

I will get a poll up in the next day or so.

Josh

06-14-2010 at 03:01 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Shotgun! A Pictorial Contest for May/June (Pictures taken from the passenger seat (aka Our Contest for May/June))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com