Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: The Standing Stone (A little experiment that shouldn't be too difficult.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Songsmith
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
IP: Logged

File: The Standing Stone v1.hold (13.1 KB)
Downloaded 174 times.
License: Other
icon New Hold: The Standing Stone (+3)  
Hi Guys
Slightly hesitantly, I post up here for your pleasure (I hope!) a little hold that I've been messing around with. I wouldn't call myself a designer, but I hope there's enough here to keep you interested to the end.

Eventually, I'd like to add some more levels, but I ran out of ideas after these few!

If you have any comments or whatever, I'll be happy to receive them... but please don't be cruel when you pick holes in it, or I shall cry!

With trembling hope
Jan

[Edited by Songsmith on 06-28-2004 at 06:10 PM GMT]
06-28-2004 at 07:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BigRedCat
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
icon Re: New Hold: The Standing Stone (0)  
This is my first post. I've beaten most of the more popular holds so far. I just played maybe six or seven rooms on the first level. So far it not too hard but that's okay(I've avoided posting a rant on difficulty recently) and I haven't noticed any bugs and the rooms have been pretty fun. Several of these rooms seem very similar to some other rooms in other holds(that happens).

One suggestion: more tar. Put loads and loads of it....then cover trapdoors and passages and exit stairs.

Second suggestion: Ignore my first suggestion.

So far so good.
06-28-2004 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Songsmith
icon Re: New Hold: The Standing Stone (+1)  
BigRedCat wrote:
Several of these rooms seem very similar to some other rooms in other holds(that happens).

:blush Ooops! Think of it more as flattery - a tribute and acknowledgement of great thinking!

Sorry everyone - didn't mean to steal your ideas. :flowers

Best wishes

Jan

06-29-2004 at 10:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BigRedCat
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
Just so you know, I wasn't accusing you of anything, I probably shouldn't have even bothered to say that since you can find similar rooms in pretty much every hold. Great minds think alike. I just noticed by looking at the map that the rooms look like a house, etc. That house room was good BTW.
06-29-2004 at 01:30 PM
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
Songsmith wrote:
BigRedCat wrote:
Several of these rooms seem very similar to some other rooms in other holds(that happens).

:blush Ooops! Think of it more as flattery - a tribute and acknowledgement of great thinking!

Sorry everyone - didn't mean to steal your ideas. :flowers

Best wishes

Jan

Hey, don't worry about it - good ideas deserve to be used more than once. As long as you're not actually copy&pasting rooms from other holds (which I'm sure you aren't), there's no problem here.

Anyway, I've only had time for a very brief look at your hold, but so far I like what I've seen - I'll give youy more detailed feedback once I play through more of it.

06-29-2004 at 01:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gds
Rank Points: 50
You shouldn't be hesitant. It is a good hold and you obviously playtested it well as I didn't find any serious problems.

The architecture is nice, thank you for the beer, the hold is fun to play and the difficulty is moderate.

I didn't get the purpose of the number room, it feels like you wanted to do something with it but stopped halfway through.

There is only one problem, in level 2, the blue door will never drop as you need to be able to leave the room for that to happen
07-02-2004 at 08:32 AM
swann_88
Rank Points: 87
now that I finished I'll post in the right thread

nice hold everything works
the roach maze (1n1w) has too many checkpoints maybe
I liked all the pictures too
I bet that took some work

good job
07-04-2004 at 05:21 PM
Songsmith

Hi guys

Thanks for all your comments - I really appreciate them.

I am now working on extending this hold, and also incorporate some changes to things you've said don't work so well; so watch this space... but don't hold your breath - I'm a bit busy over the next couple of months!!

Hopefully by November I should be able to put up a new (extended) vesion of this hold. :P

Take care. Be good. And if you can't be good... ;)

Jan

07-26-2004 at 11:42 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: The Standing Stone (A little experiment that shouldn't be too difficult.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com