Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : The Regency Strategy thread, or how to be more evil
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
grobblewobble
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon The Regency Strategy thread, or how to be more evil (0)  
Ok, I hope I'm not spamming too much here. This is intended as a discussion / ideas thread for strategies with the Leylines race Regency.

Regency is my favourite race. It has a lot of flavour and dirty tricks. However, it's also a challenging race to do well with. But with some practice, I think Regency has lots of potential. After practicing a couple of times, my necromancy skills seem to be improving now. :D

First of all, some general advice. Regency buildings tend to require little work, but high upkeep. This means that you have to be careful not to climb the tech trees too fast, or you'll run into gold problems. Similarly, the top-level units are strong but quite expensive, so don't build them too early and don't build too many of them.
As another piece of general advice, the Regency can't build hordes of scouts early on, so in the beginning they will miss out on extra income and research from the random resources. A regency player should try to make up for it later, and actively try to capture them from other players.

The good thing about the Regency is that their units complement each other very well. A mistake I made at first was to build only one or two types of units for attack and neglect the rest; the key to succes is to get the best use out of all of the available support units and tools.

So let's go over the units.

Phalanx: Those serve two purposes. Early in the game they offer a good early defense, together with ghouls. The shield skill is especially good, because ranged attacks are the major weakness of the ghouls. Later in the game, they make perfect fodder for your acolytes.
I usually build 4 to 8 of them in the early game (on moderate starting power). However, since the Regency have no building that lowers gold upkeep, their upkeep takes quite a bite out of your gold supply. You can degenerate them, but I would normally advice against it because it makes them weaker and more vulnerable as defensive units. Besides, you can't sacrifice them to your acolytes any more if you do.
Instead, I like to build one or two fortresses and camp them next to my cities. In case of emergency they can move into the city for defense.
For slightly improved defense, start out by building a mausoleum in your best production city and build the phalanxes there.
Ghoul: In the early game their mana upkeep is pretty steep, so I often start the game by disbanding all but one of them. Still, these guys are vital for early defense (or offense). If your opponent is nearby and starts building a legion of swordsmen, it will turn into a nightmare for him. It is also lots of fun if you can 'recruit' a couple of scouts.
The main weakness of ghouls is that ranged attacks, including exorcism, will quick melt them away.
But even later in the game, one should not underestimate them. If you can hide them, cast blindness on the enemy, or turn them invisible, they can still do major damage. They benefit very much from Might of Giants, since it increases their lifedrain. And remember that Spectres can give them another +2 attack. Special note: if you ever see a druid, please send in a hungry ghoul. ;)
Lumberjack: This is maybe the very best unit there is for terrain improvement. Swamp and forest can be turned into plains (4/1/2/0), which is great for both gold and boosting city growth. One of the first things I do is build one of these.
Mentally, I divide my cities into gold and mana cities. For the gold cities, I remove all swamps, jungle, mangrove and pine; for the mana cities I remove all normal forests. If a city has low population, I may even remove some forests that are aligned with the city type. Terrain adjacent to the cities has priority, but even at a distance of 2 tiles it is worth it, especially since you get some free production as a bonus.
When this is done, the lumberjacks can remove annoying swamps that are hindering you on strategically important routes. Once you have captured foreign cities, the lumberjacks get even better. Since you can't produce work in foreign cities, the forests (2/3/1/0) are of no use to you - chop them.
Slaver: If you capture small foreign cities with no buildings, they can't ever produce much for you.. except for slaves. ;)
Acolyte: This is one of the strategic cornerstones of the race. Always have a few of them ready, with fresh meat to sacrifice. Being able to quickly cast a few malicious spells on enemy armies before you attack them is very, very important.
If your opponent uses Sunray or overland attacks, don't forget that these have dampening, too.
Mountaineer: For lack of cheap scouts, the Regency will have to rely on units such as this one. Building towers is quite useful. Besides increasing your sight radius, it protects against cold weather, so this is a nice way of dealing with mines on hills.
Ornithopter: They may look like weak scouting-type units, but are actually surprisingly strong, especially when boosted with Might of Giants. Since they can detect hidden scouts and are strong enough to win most scout-versus-scout fights, use them to take over those resources that the enemy may have taken. And bring them along in an assault, because detection is ever important.
Assassin: Another very important strategic unit. Lots of things are worth assassinating. Kraken, Hero, Warlock, Dragonslayer, Totem Spirit.. they all have a price on their head. In the mid to late game, having Assassins ready in the surroundings of your cities is a vicious way of defending yourself.
Saboteur: As it has Siegecraft, this is one option of dealing with heavily defended cities. If your opponent forgets to build some units with detection, sabotage can ruin his day. For best effect, sabotage multiple large cities simultaneously and watch those buildings collapse when he fails to pay the upkeep. Don't forget to laugh maniacally.
Catapult: This is another way of dealing with heavily defended cities. Bombarding will force the enemy to leave the safety of his city and come out to attack you in the open, where they can be bribed and assassinated. ;)
Diplomat: Bribery and Assassination are a great combo. A diplomat in your city is a great help in defending it. This works especially well against dragons (as those can't be assassinated). Since diplomats are dependent and move very slowly, it is hard to use them in an offense, but not impossible. Some methods to increase their mobility are Degenerate, Storm Run and Ethereal Path.
Spectre: They are a bit vulnerable and move slowly, but can be a great aid in your army. If you can cast invisibility on them that's great.
Necromancer: The Regency healer, of course. Always bring one or two of them along.
Wraith: I have some mental trouble building a unit that can be summoned. Having high resistance and a physical attack, it is a good counter to units with a high resistance, a magical attack and low armor, such as Firewalkers, Stargazers, etc.
Skeletal Shark: So far I haven't played enough island maps to see it at work, but it looks good. Physical stats comparable to the Leviathan, but faster.
Liche: Having at least one or two in your army is a good idea. It makes quick work of tank units with low resistance, such as bladesingers and war machines. Magesight is also nice to have. Casting Jinx can make it more effective.
Daemon: A very fast unit, they can quickly invade enemy territory and capture any badly defended cities. They also add a lot of punch to large assaults.

Now what magic spheres to choose? I have two favourite choices. The most straightforward way, imo, is BBM.

The main reason for choosing BB is blindness. Acolytes make it easy to quickcast and it turns ghouls into real monsters, especially if you add might of giants and maybe a spectre. Later in the game, blindness combines equally good with liches and daemons. Invisibility (M) has the same effect and works against mindshield.

Revelation and Scrying are both very good, as the regency lacks fast and cheap scouts. Golems are a lot of fun for the regency, since they are the only race that can augment them. Skeletons can be augmented and healed. Ethereal Path is an excellent way to help the slower units. The only spells that don't seem to fit in are Mending and Rejuvenation, but all in all this combination of spheres complements the Regency extremely well. An alternative is to replace M with C, for Degenerate, Third Eye and Flicker - the latter two spells are another way to scout more easily.

An completely different approach, but also interesting is EEE. With acolytes, all those damaging spells can be quickcasted.

Ok, that was a long story. I hope to hear more opinions and ideas, discussion.. please disagree with me. :lol
03-28-2010 at 12:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
icon Re: The Regency Strategy thread, or how to be more evil (0)  
grobblewobble wrote:
Regency buildings tend to require little work, but high upkeep. This means that you have to be careful not to climb the tech trees too fast, or you'll run into gold problems.
Been there. My solution is to build a handful of Trading Posts early on, and one or two Wealth Monoliths later. The result: I'm swimming in gold by endgame.
the Regency can't build hordes of scouts early on, so in the beginning they will miss out on extra income and research from the random resources.
On the contrary, I find that Ghouls make excellent scouts (life drain when attacked in melee), as do Colonists (eagle eye).
Once you have captured foreign cities, the lumberjacks get even better. Since you can't produce work in foreign cities, the forests (2/3/1/0) are of no use to you - chop them.
Or you could just destroy the captured city to make way for one of your own. I've never found much use for Lumberjacks other than in combination with Druids for major work bonuses in a city.
Slaver: If you capture small foreign cities with no buildings, they can't ever produce much for you.. except for slaves.
I tend to make only one Slaver, and occasionally use it to raid for slaves (I agree, preferably in captured cities) to build my road system.
Mountaineer: ... Building towers is quite useful. Besides increasing your sight radius, it protects against cold weather, so this is a nice way of dealing with mines on hills.
Never thought of that one. Maybe I'll try it next game.
Skeletal Shark: So far I haven't played enough island maps to see it at work, but it looks good. Physical stats comparable to the Leviathan, but faster.
Skeletal Sharks make pretty decent scouts. Additionally, a group of them can make good raiding parties for sorties into cities on shorelines and archipelagos.
Liche: Having at least one or two in your army is a good idea. It makes quick work of tank units with low resistance, such as bladesingers and war machines.
I learned this the hard way when I was playing as elves, and sent wave after wave of bladesingers against the same six liches, with absolutely no success.

For spells, another interesting combination regardless of race is MMM. Use Revelation to find enemy cities, and then use Translocation to teleport your troops in to attack. :D

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by The Mystic at 03-29-2010 02:48 AM]
03-29-2010 at 02:43 AM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
The Mystic wrote:
On the contrary, I find that Ghouls make excellent scouts (life drain when attacked in melee), as do Colonists (eagle eye).
I find it very ironic that the Regency would stoop so low as to use a settler unit for scouting :)

03-29-2010 at 08:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
I use em to scout when I'm making a new town. C:

03-29-2010 at 09:01 AM
The Mystic
Radiant wrote:
The Mystic wrote:
I find it very ironic that the Regency would stoop so low as to use a settler unit for scouting :)
Well, given the unit description, it kind of fits. The high amount of health (10), good resistance (6), and the aforementioned eagle eye (the only Regency unit with the trait) make it almost ideal for a scout as well as a settler.

03-29-2010 at 03:22 PM
grobblewobble

File: See_druid.ley (15 KB)
Downloaded 36 times.
License: Public Domain
The Mystic wrote:
Or you could just destroy the captured city to make way for one of your own. I've never found much use for Lumberjacks other than in combination with Druids for major work bonuses in a city.
The first use is in creating good mana cities. You can often find areas on most maps where the terrain is a mix of swamp and forest. A town there would typically be something like 10k to 12k pop, with about 4 to 6 mana. After removing the forests but leaving the swamp, mana will still be at 4 to 6, but population can go up to something like 14 to 16. Now calculate what has happened to the potential maximal mana output of the city:

Before: (5+3) * (11-4) = 56
After: (5+3) * (15-4) = 88

All with very little effort. You can find an example in the attached savegame. The cities of Jokwyk and Alifoovi have been heavily lumberjacked.

Later in the same game, I used Gaea's Bounty and Great Harvest to boost those cities further. I had also taken over some good mana cities with pre-built astral wells from the elves. I used lumberjacks and Gaea's Bounty to increase the max populations of those cities from something like 12 to over 18. By the end of the game, I was producing over 300 mana each turn and casting Reaper's Touch on every enemy in sight. :lol

[Last edited by grobblewobble at 03-29-2010 04:07 PM]
03-29-2010 at 04:06 PM
The Mystic
grobblewobble wrote:
You can often find areas on most maps where the terrain is a mix of swamp and forest. A town there would typically be something like 10k to 12k pop, with about 4 to 6 mana. After removing the forests but leaving the swamp, mana will still be at 4 to 6, but population can go up to something like 14 to 16.
My logic is to boost production by replacing the surrounding plains and steppes with forests for faster production, and cutting down those forests for a production boost. Where I go from there depends on what I want to produce.
I had also taken over some good mana cities with pre-built astral wells from the elves.
Yeah, I'd do that too. If a conquered city can produce gold or mana better than any of mine, I leave it.
By the end of the game, I was producing over 300 mana each turn
I've done that too, usually when using a rush strategy combined with Translocation.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 03-30-2010 12:53 AM]
03-30-2010 at 12:52 AM
grobblewobble

I often do the same thing (use colonists as 'scouts'). But that's just to explore the direct environment and finding a good spot for the next city.

When I said the Regency lack cheap scouts, this is in comparison to a race such as Human or S'Sirthe. The S'Sirthe, for example, can start the game by building an army of about 15 extra trailblazers and braves. Those have an upkeep of only 1 gold, and they will quickly find some mines to pay their own upkeep. If you do this on a non-island map of normal size, you can scout the entire map and capture the majority of the resources on the map before the first winter sets in. With any luck, that means some 30 gold extra income from mines / oyster beds, 21 mana from leylines and 30 research a turn. And you know where your enemies are located.

By the way, this is a problem with the AI, too. The AI currently doesn't capture random resources, even if they are next to their cities.. nor does the AI try to prevent you from getting them. That is a large advantage in Human or S'Sirthe versus AI.

[Last edited by grobblewobble at 03-30-2010 03:03 PM]
03-30-2010 at 02:58 PM
The Mystic
grobblewobble wrote:
I often do the same thing (use colonists as 'scouts'). But that's just to explore the direct environment and finding a good spot for the next city.
I usually do that too, once I'm established a bit. When I'm starting out, however, I make a handful of colonists, and use one or two to explore the surrounding area, with the rest founding cities as they go. The colonists I use as scouts also found cities eventually, unless they get killed (but that's quite rare).

03-31-2010 at 04:24 AM
wonkyth
Rank Points: 15
I don't think that's a good idea.
While it is a good idea to build a couple of colonists at the beginning of the game, they should plant themselves as cities as soon as possible, and should already have a destination when built.
The drain on the city population caused by the training of a colonist is a bit too much, even for their various abilities.
Personally, when playing Regency, I tend to stick tight for the first month, moving very little and strengthening the economy.
With a couple of ornithopters any lost ground can be regained quickly.

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
03-31-2010 at 09:27 AM
Radiant
grobblewobble wrote:
By the way, this is a problem with the AI, too. The AI currently doesn't capture random resources, even if they are next to their cities.. nor does the AI try to prevent you from getting them. That is a large advantage in Human or S'Sirthe versus AI.
That's odd, the AI should be doing that for a long time.

03-31-2010 at 09:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wonkyth
Rank Points: 15
They were last time I looked.

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
03-31-2010 at 10:03 AM
Danjen02
I have a question about trading posts. Now, the way they are written is that you get 2 gold per turn for each other post you have. Does the game check how much you get for each trading post (ie, exponentially), or just once? Because, that would be the difference of about 170 gold profit (9 x 2 x 10 = 180, -10 upkeep) versus 8 gold profit (9 x 2 = 18, - 10 upkeep). I'm pretty sure it's only +8/+18 per turn, because otherwise the Regency would be pretty broken.

03-31-2010 at 10:36 AM
Radiant
It is intended to be exponential, but IIRC it has an upper limit. 170 gold from 10 cities is not entirely unreasonable, and remember that the Regency have markedly less buildings that increase the amount of gold-per-merchant.

03-31-2010 at 11:52 AM
Danjen02
Yeah, the upper limit is 10, so it would be fairly high then.

03-31-2010 at 12:56 PM
grobblewobble
The AI random resource thing is indeed odd, but in my latest games I just didn't see the AI capturing them at all.. I will try to come up with a good savegame and post it in the thread for bug reports, ok? It could be that the AI does try to take them, but just doesn't give it enough priority.

By the way, gold from trading posts is quadratical (ie, order N^2), not exponential. Sorry for the nitpick, I couldn't resist. :P Also, while the description says you gain two gold per other post you own, the way it currently works is actually that each post earns you 1 gold for each post you own (a description error I forgot to report earlier, sorry!). So that makes totals:

Posts: Total Gold (substracting upkeep from the posts themselves)
 1: 0
 2: 2
 3: 6
 4: 12
 5: 20
 6: 30
 7: 42
 8: 56
 9: 72
10: 90

[Last edited by grobblewobble at 03-31-2010 03:10 PM]
03-31-2010 at 01:37 PM
Radiant
If memory serves me correctly, it was changed from two ducats per other post, to one ducat, and I've forgotten to update the description. I'll fix that.

04-01-2010 at 08:46 PM
The Mystic
I've been meaning to ask this for a while: When you play as an alliance that includes Regency, is the Slave Pen supposed to be unavailable? Not that I really care either way (I don't do alliances all that much), but I am curious.

I thought this would be a good time and place to finally ask, since it's at least semi-related to the thread.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 04-02-2010 01:18 AM]
04-02-2010 at 01:17 AM
grobblewobble
Yes, that is the way it's supposed to be.
04-02-2010 at 01:20 AM
The Mystic
I thought so. It kind of makes sense, now that I think on it: Slavery disgusts other races, and so has no real place with them; but it appeals to the Regency as a cheap labor force. Therefore, no Slave Pen in the alliance's tech tree.

04-02-2010 at 02:07 AM
Danjen02
I'm actually really suprised by the balance of alliance tech trees. Every race combination seems to have mountaineers, rangers, rock rangers, fliers, and foresters, in addition to a generalized settler and carrier unit.

04-02-2010 at 02:37 PM
Radiant
Danjen02 wrote:
I'm actually really suprised by the balance of alliance tech trees. Every race combination seems to have mountaineers, rangers, rock rangers, fliers, and foresters, in addition to a generalized settler and carrier unit.

Thank you. Yes, this took some time to figure out properly.

04-02-2010 at 03:48 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : The Regency Strategy thread, or how to be more evil
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com