Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Brain controlled creatures question
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vniksic
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Brain controlled creatures question (0)  
I was creating a room (with a brain in the middle), and had an idea for a cute little puzzle. However, I was surprised to see this. I made a few screenshots to explain it easier.

First shot first.jpg where you can see the layout of the brain and three roaches. In this screenshot you can see that they can find their way just fine, as in this. However, when I put force arrows all the way down there, the roaches are totally stumped. They have no idea how to get to me. They act like regular roaches, until I begin to approach to the south-east. Why is that? Is there a workaround of some sort for it to work? Here is the screeny.
06-23-2004 at 01:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Brain controlled creatures question (+1)  
For an in-depth discussion of this quirk of brains and its reperussions, follow the link to this thread

06-23-2004 at 01:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vniksic
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
icon Re: Brain controlled creatures question (0)  
eytanz wrote:
For an in-depth discussion of this quirk of brains and its reperussions, follow the link to this thread

I read the thread, and there is a lot of talks about serpents and stuff, and the way I see it, it just appears to be a bug, that will hopefully be corrected with the next release.
06-24-2004 at 10:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Brain controlled creatures question (0)  
It's not a bug - it's a legacy feature, one that was introduced (deliberately, by the way, it wasn't an accident) because of technical limitations in earlier versions and now cannot be fixed. The reason is simple: if it's fixed, a lot of existing holds, such as King Dugan's Dungeon, and several of the existing user holds, will stop being solvable.

The dev team mentioned that a future version might contain "super-brains" or something of the sort which will know how to handle arrows, but I think they were not talking about 1.7, but rather the more distant future.

Note, however, that there is a related bug - if you walk across an arrow, the brain will learn how to send monsters across it. Mike has just announced that this will be fixed (even though it will break some user holds) in the next version - the difference is that far fewer holds rely on this behavior (only one known), and it was unintentional.

[Edited by eytanz on 06-24-2004 at 12:32 PM GMT]

06-24-2004 at 01:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Brain controlled creatures question
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com