Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Subterra: October/November Variations on a Theme (What is your favorite level for October/November?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
What is your favorite level for October/November?
Mirror Mirror, by the Mystic PollPollPoll 1 20.00%
Generic Two-player Maze by the Stew Boy PollPollPoll 3 60.00%
Distorted Reflections by B.J.Earles PollPollPoll 1 20.00%
Total Votes 5 100%
Poster Message
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
IP: Logged
icon Subterra: October/November Variations on a Theme (0)  
This is the level design challenge for September. The idea behind this contest is as follows: Mirror, Mirror. The left half of the level must be as close as possible to a mirror image of the right half, and vice versa; this includes players. The level's solution, however, does not have to be symmetrical.

You can download the levels here: http://crystalshard.net/zip/MONTHLY.ZIP

Please vote for the level you like best. Participants may vote (because turnout would be a lot lower otherwise also it's not like we can stop them or anything); however, I'd appreciate it if everybody did not simply vote for themselves :)

Thanks to everyone who participated!

12-02-2009 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Celtic Minstrel
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
icon Re: Subterra: October/November Variations on a Theme (0)  
Wow. All three of these levels are pretty ingenious. I'm going to vote for Stew Boy's, though, because as far as I can tell, it's possible to ignore one player in certain dangerous situations and have it automatically get to the next safe spot.

Really, though, I like them all very much.
12-04-2009 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
I also voted for Stew Boy's level. It was a bit of a toss-up since the two I could vote for are really good, but the deciding factor was that I don't care that much for laser puzzles.
Celtic Minstrel wrote:
Wow. All three of these levels are pretty ingenious.
Yeah, for this style of puzzle, they almost have to be, otherwise the level could be unsolvable--or even unplayable.

Click here to view the secret text

12-04-2009 at 02:57 PM
B.J.Earles
I voted for Stew Boy's level. I felt like his level was more fun to play; it also didn't have as many elevators in it :P .
12-05-2009 at 08:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
Rank Points: 11
Distorted Reflections - A very cool application of the fact that a symmetrical laser maze will in fact, not be symmetrical because of how the lasers deflect.

Mirror Mirror - This level received my vote. I especially liked the crate-pulling shenanigans at the start. The elevators were somewhat annoying, however.

Generic Two-Player Maze - The teal switches made the level seem very broken up, and felt somewhat gimmicky as a result. However, I do realize the point of them was to ensure the players were kept synced up, making it a crucial mechanic for the level. I also loved the cryo birds at the start.

Oh, and thank you everyone, for reminding me how inadequate my puzzle-solving have become lately. :)

12-07-2009 at 06:44 AM
The Mystic
Danjen02 wrote:
The elevators were somewhat annoying, however.
That was kind of the point, especially as I was running out of time & ideas for the level. Once both players are below the horizontal expanding walls, you should be good to go.

12-07-2009 at 01:45 PM
Celtic Minstrel
Rank Points: 12
Did anyone else notice how one of the levels contained a cryobird in one half, but a firedrake in the other?
12-07-2009 at 06:47 PM
Danjen02
I did not. However, it would keep the monster movement symmetrical.

12-07-2009 at 07:04 PM
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
Danjen02 wrote:
felt somewhat gimmicky

That's what my levels always do when I can't think of good ideas, although I've tried to avoid it as much as possible.
12-07-2009 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Danjen02
No worries, I'm kinda guilty of doing that myself. ;)

12-08-2009 at 02:40 AM
The Mystic
Celtic Minstrel wrote:
Did anyone else notice how one of the levels contained a cryobird in one half, but a firedrake in the other?
That would be Stew Boy's. I would've said it was against the mirror image rule, but I had said, "as close as possible to a mirror image," not "a complete mirror image," so it was more or less within the rule. Then again, it would've been hypocritical of me to say anything, seeing as my level starts off with both transmuters, 3 different color keys, and one of each color door.

Ben Earles' level is the only one that takes the mirror image rule literally, and it's still a great level. In fact, it looks like it's not only right-left symmetrical, but also top-bottom as well (minus players).

[Last edited by The Mystic at 12-08-2009 05:02 PM]
12-08-2009 at 04:42 PM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
The Mystic wrote:so it was more or less within the rule.
It's close enough :) in my opinion rules should be an inspiration, not something that can disqualify your level if you're not following the letter.

12-08-2009 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
B.J.Earles
The Mystic wrote: Ben Earles' level is the only one that takes the mirror image rule literally, and it's still a great level. In fact, it looks like it's not only right-left symmetrical, but also top-bottom as well (minus players).

You're almost right. If you look closely, you'll notice that the gems on the top half of the level are symmetrical with the gems on the bottom half except that the type of gem is swapped, that is to say that a gem that's a diamond on the top half will be an emerald on the bottom half. This mean the level itself is not top-bottom symmetrical, but the lasers are. :)
12-08-2009 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic

File: Mirror examples.SUB (498 bytes)
Downloaded 38 times.
License: Public Domain
Radiant wrote:
The Mystic wrote:so it was more or less within the rule.
It's close enough :) in my opinion rules should be an inspiration, not something that can disqualify your level if you're not following the letter.
Precisely my point. To illustrate, I made a series of eight simple "mirror image" panels that show various interpretations of left-right symmetry (you'll have to zoom out to see them all); depending on a level's mechanics, any one of them could be considered "symmetrical." This is not a working level, merely a demo.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 12-12-2009 08:21 PM]
12-12-2009 at 08:19 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Subterra: October/November Variations on a Theme (What is your favorite level for October/November?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com