Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Crypt of the Ages (Well it's my first one and I think I did pretty well. )
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

3.9/10 (8 votes)
σ 1.36
Author Name:Mikel
Submitted By:wackhead_uk
Hold Name:The Crypt of the Ages v 1.12
Theme:Well it's my first one and I think I did pretty well.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:8
Number of Rooms:42
Number of Monsters:370
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Crypt of the Ages v 112.hold (17.9 KB)
Downloaded 2208 times.
License: Other
icon The Crypt of the Ages  
I made this in about 3 days but I think it is better than a lot of the other rooms that I deiscarded for it, although I have only got to level 8 in DROD so I dodn't have many ideas for levels. I will bring out another one soon! A prequel...
06-21-2004 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: The Crypt of the Ages (+1)  
Really, it is always best to release the hold on the Architecture board first before putting it on the Holds board.

There are already several bugs in it that make completion of the hold impossible, and one or two bugs within the rooms themselves that make the rooms easier than they should be. At present I haven't got much time, so I'll just list the bugs that need to be fixed in order to make the hold playable.

L2 1S - To delete a room, go to the Editor main screen (It will say "Editor" on the top of it, and have several boxes containing the hold, level and minimap details, as well as a reduced picture of the room and various other room detail boxes. Click on the room in question to seect it, and press delete to delete it. Rooms can also be copied and pasted here as well.

L2 1E - The stairs have been reset and take you to the first level again.

L3 Entrance - The stairs here have also been reset, and take you back to L3.

L3 2N - The arrangement of force arrows makes dropping all the trapdoors here impossible.

L5 Entrance - Serpents cannot go on scrolls (It's a well known feature - they seem to be placed in the same layer), so you canot kill the serpent in this room. also, the stair destination has again been reset - they take you to level 5 again.

L6 1W - Again, the stairs take you back to level 6 (I think you need to check all the stairs in the hold).

L7 3S - Here, strangely, the stairs end the hold instead of going to level 8.

I'll do some more thorough analysis later.

In general, it's an interesting hold, although not really very difficult, and a bit derivative, although this isn't really too much of an issue. Unfortunately, due to the way the board database works, you may only update the hold if it has the same number of rooms in it; you cannot add (or take away, I think) rooms - you can only change them.

06-21-2004 at 03:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
icon Re: The Crypt of the Ages (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:

L3 2N - The arrangement of force arrows makes dropping all the trapdoors here impossible.

It may take a while to notice how to do it, but I have done it several times and you just need to realise that you do not have to just walk along the force arrows and trapdoors to get from one island to the other.

Anyway, This is an earlier version of the hold I made and I'm really sorry but I uploaded the wrong one and I'm waiting to get my disc back. Hopefully it will be coming soon!
06-21-2004 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
How would I go about replacing the level on this board then? I've got the bug-free version back. I've only ever posted 3, so I don't know how!

Oh yeah, and The levels aren't in order of play. I made somelevels at different computers and different times. Bugger!

[Edited by wackhead_uk on 06-21-2004 at 06:28 PM GMT]
06-21-2004 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
icon Re: The Crypt of the Ages (-1)  
Irrational comment removed. Apologies if I did offend you (or anyone else for that matter).

...but I have done it several times and you just need to realise that you do not have to just walk along the force arrows and trapdoors to get from one island to the other.

Oops. Well, it is so obvious that I hardly expected it. See - this is what comes from playing very difficult holds for ages. You get cynical about the hold authors. :)

How would I go about replacing the level on this board then? I've got the bug-free version back. I've only ever posted 3, so I don't know how!

Oh yeah, and The levels aren't in order of play. I made somelevels at different computers and different times. Bugger!

Use the update holds feature in the Holds section of your profile (reached by clicking "Modify" on your profile viewing screen).

[Edited by agaricus5 on 06-21-2004 at 09:36 PM GMT]

[Edited by agaricus5 on 06-21-2004 at 09:50 PM GMT]

06-21-2004 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Except that dialog only allows updating if the hold has the same number of rooms, all in the same places. If that is not the case in the bug-free version, then you might want to send a PM to Schik to ask him for some special attention to get the hold updated.

06-21-2004 at 10:32 PM
agaricus5
DiMono wrote:
Except that dialog only allows updating if the hold has the same number of rooms, all in the same places. If that is not the case in the bug-free version, then you might want to send a PM to Schik to ask him for some special attention to get the hold updated.

If you completely change a room's content, but its location is the same, can you still upload it?

06-21-2004 at 10:37 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Yep. The script looks for room locations, not room contents. Of course, if I'm wrong then I'm sure Schik will swoop in and say so. Let's hear it for having a safety net! :)

06-21-2004 at 10:39 PM
agaricus5
DiMono wrote:
Yep. The script looks for room locations, not room contents. Of course, if I'm wrong then I'm sure Schik will swoop in and say so. Let's hear it for having a safety net! :)

Ah. I see. That's very useful. Thanks for enlightening me on the process - I've never uploaded a hold, so I don't know much about it.

Edit: While I'm at it, I might as well remove that rather irrational comment. I think I deserve the negative mod for it, but it's probably better if it wasn't displayed for the forum to see for too much longer, for it might offend people even more if I just left it.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 06-21-2004 at 09:49 PM GMT]

[Edited by agaricus5 on 06-21-2004 at 09:53 PM GMT]

06-21-2004 at 10:47 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
DiMono wrote:
I'll swoop in anyways to confirm that you are correct. Just locations, not contents. It's already complicated enough without trying to figure out just how much the user changed!

06-21-2004 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
I've put the rooms back with less than amusing comments in them. It should now be possible, and once again, sorry for the trouble!

Waaaaaait a minute...

It says I have uploaded no holds! I now how a useless hold that you cannot complete but I can't update! Darn!

[Edited by wackhead_uk on 06-22-2004 at 05:34 PM GMT: Just found out something stupid]
06-22-2004 at 06:31 PM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
Well, up there in the submitted by: category, it does say "Anonymous", so that's probably your problem.

[Edited by Zmann on 06-22-2004 at 08:43 PM GMT]
06-22-2004 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: The Crypt of the Ages (+1)  
That happens if you're not logged in to the forum when you upload holds. I really need to make it more obvious when you're not logged in and are uploading a hold.

I've given you ownership of your three recently uploaded holds.

06-22-2004 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
There! Finally got internet access on MY computer so i can upload it! Check out the DRODIS thread as well if you want something weird!
06-27-2004 at 05:00 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Interesting. One of the stairs at the end will end the hold, the other takes you back to the beginning.

I had fun with a lot of these puzzles and while I didn't get into the whole Bjorn thing (the last "fight" was disappointing), it was a decent concept.

Recommended if you just want something quick and easy.

12-23-2011 at 07:20 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Crypt of the Ages (Well it's my first one and I think I did pretty well. ) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com