Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Naming Office - Poll (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Fill in the blank: "This is the ________________. "
Obligatory First Question PollPollPoll 6 28.57%
Required Primary Interrogation PollPollPoll 2 9.52%
Necessary Opening Inquiry PollPollPoll 4 19.05%
Compulsory Preceding Investigation PollPollPoll 5 23.81%
Mandatory Initial Inquisition PollPollPoll 4 19.05%

Who do you feel is most qualified for the position? (Choose six, in addition to yourself)
jbluestein PollPollPoll 10 34.48%
noma PollPollPoll 15 51.72%
Rabscuttle PollPollPoll 12 41.38%
Dischorran PollPollPoll 11 37.93%
Znirk PollPollPoll 8 27.59%
Bombadil PollPollPoll 6 20.69%
NobleHelium PollPollPoll 15 51.72%
Sillyman PollPollPoll 7 24.14%
zwetschenwasser PollPollPoll 9 31.03%
techant PollPollPoll 10 34.48%
DanielFishman PollPollPoll 6 20.69%
Maurog PollPollPoll 9 31.03%
Briareos PollPollPoll 12 41.38%
hyperme PollPollPoll 6 20.69%
skell PollPollPoll 7 24.14%
kie PollPollPoll 7 24.14%
bdwing PollPollPoll 11 37.93%
Total Votes 29 100%
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
IP: Logged
icon The Naming Office - Poll (0)  
Here is the poll to determine the winners of our November contest, The Naming Office!

We had 17 people complete the interview, so we will be choosing between them to determine our winners. This poll will operate differently than most contest polls. This is a multiple selection poll. Each voter will choose six options from the poll (seven, if including themselves). If we have ties, we will go to a runoff poll.

I should tell you - this whole interview process was an elaborate test. We here at the Naming Office hire with a specific mantra in mind: Those with the best names are often the ones that make the best namers!

A-ha! A twist! We won't be judging the lists of nicknames you have provided! No! We will be judging you based on the nicknames you have been given! The criteria are otherwise yours to determine, but please, place your vote based on the following lists:

Click here to view the secret text

11-17-2009 at 12:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: The Naming Office - Poll (0)  
So I guess contestants should select seven entries while non-contestants should select only six? I am interested to see how this turns out. I certainly enjoyed reading all of the nicknames...

Josh

11-17-2009 at 05:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
jbluestein wrote:
So I guess contestants should select seven entries while non-contestants should select only six?
Correct.

11-17-2009 at 06:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NobleHelium
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 72
Err, I'm not really confident that the poll results will turn out as you intend. Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing stopping people from voting for any number of entries besides the correct six or seven.

Also, I think you missed the part where skell only provided five nicknames. Five people have seventeen nicknames in the list; the rest have sixteen.

I'd also like to say that the Naming Office has good logic; after all, you choose your own username.

[Last edited by NobleHelium at 11-17-2009 07:36 AM]
11-17-2009 at 07:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
It doesn't matter how many nicknames an individual Namegiver has provided, you are to choose the six people who got the best names using the list in the first post of this thread. So like, if someone only got one name, but it's super special awesome, you should pick them.

Or not I guess, if you go by quantity rather than quality or something.

[Last edited by Maurog at 11-17-2009 11:21 AM]
11-17-2009 at 11:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
NobleHelium wrote:
Err, I'm not really confident that the poll results will turn out as you intend. Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing stopping people from voting for any number of entries besides the correct six or seven.
Ah, but big brother really is watching (or just a hairy chimp, whatever strikes your fancy). And besides, I can't really think of a motivation of why anybody would vote otherwise. Besides spite, of course.
11-19-2009 at 01:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NobleHelium
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 72
I meant accidental mistakes, really. Six is a rather arbitrary number of choices, and it's quite possible that someone may only choose one person and submit it before reading the instructions thoroughly, or choose one extra or one fewer (due to miscounting the number of checked boxes).

[Last edited by NobleHelium at 11-19-2009 09:34 PM]
11-19-2009 at 09:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
That wouldn't matter greatly. Sinse you're talking about mistakes it should be fair, since there's no way of knowing who will benefit from the mistake.
11-20-2009 at 09:23 AM
RoboBob3000
We're running out of time to determine a winner! Somebody come help us break these ties that I'm seeing! Vote for your favorite six!

11-24-2009 at 04:08 AM
RoboBob3000
It looks like we're going to a runoff poll. I'll get one set up later this afternoon.

11-24-2009 at 06:55 PM
RoboBob3000
icon Re: The Naming Office - Poll (+2)  
The runoff poll can be found at http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=30308.

11-24-2009 at 10:15 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Naming Office - Poll (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com