Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Linux experience (SubTerra, Warthogs for Linux)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
IP: Logged
icon Linux experience (0)  
SubTerra and Warthogs both include a runtime for Linux.

I would like to hear of people's experience in getting this to work. Both are written for Ubuntu, but will also likely work with other flavors of Linux. Is the accompanying readme clear enough? Are there libraries or options to take care of, or things to avoid? Please let me know.

10-12-2009 at 09:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Anonycat
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
icon Re: Linux experience (0)  
First things first, I unpacked the archive to find a so-called executable that didn't have chmod +x set for anyone. Only a minor inconvenience to fix, but a pretty obvious one.

After opening the game, the one major thing I notice is that the mouse pointer suffers from tremendous latency, taking about 5 seconds to settle in place after I move it anywhere. Moving the mouse pointer outside the ST window will show my normal cursor responding instantly, a clear disagreement from what's going on in the game. The basic result of this is that the game is entirely keyboard-only to me.

Another inconvenience is that after completing a level and returning to the overworld map, the character continuously and automatically moves right (or down if the completed level was on the far right side of the grid). Pressing left doesn't help, only pressing and releasing right, and if I press Enter to go to a level while I'm moving right, the "held right" behavior will continue into the level itself.

As far as sound, that plays, but some sounds work and other sounds don't with seemingly no rhyme or reason. Even with sounds that should play several times in the same level (such as "gem grabbed"), some instances play and others don't and who knows which ones will be which.

At least in that last case I figured the console might receive dumped error messages that would help me figure out what's going on, but it printed nothing at all to STDOUT or STDERR during use.

And finally, the last option on the main menu reads "Exit to Windows". I'd rather not, thank you very much.
11-04-2009 at 09:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
icon Re: Linux experience (0)  
Thank you for your feedback, I'll see what I can do to fix that.

Could you also take a look at Warthogs, in the link above? It uses a very different gaming platform than SubTerra does.

11-13-2009 at 10:59 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Linux experience (SubTerra, Warthogs for Linux)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com