Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Random Useless Facts (Know any useless facts? Sure you do!)
<<2345
Page 6 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon Re: Random Useless Facts (+1)  
About dogs

1) I mean literally recognizing words, remembering them and associating them with items. You show dog something, pronounce its name, and the dog remembers it.

About mathematician dog: I don't believe it at all. I'm writing an essay about history of mathematical symbols, and you know what ? It took _humans_ thousands of years to grasp the concept of number. They were capable of "counting" before, as below:

"from small finger of left hand to nose"
"from small finger of left hand to third toe of right foot"

etc. The history of number concept was long and full of dead ends. Humans, and pretty much other animals can't recognize any amount higher than 4 without additional help (tokens, carvings, etc). You can't do it, neither. You start counting, and thats just like dropping one stone for each passing sheep (shepherds).
In ancient times the simplest, and only way to compare amounts was to find plenty of tokens of some kind, drop/take/whatever a token for each counted A object... then drop/whatever a token for each B object and see how many left there are.
And evidence of this is left in many languages, including polish, (pierwSZY, druGI, trzeCI, czwarTY, piaTY, TY, TY...) english (firST, secoND, thiRD, fourTH, fifTH, sixTH, TH, TH, TH...)
This system is used even today, in civilised (wearing more clothes than others, according to T.Pratchett) countries.. for activities like counting votes etc. And usually you group those tokens/drawn lines into groups of five or sth, because your eye/brain cant recognize more easily.

Saying that a dog can so easily count, using his brain only, is unbelievable (literally) for me. I bet you couldn't ask him to "count" from 1 to 20, for a start (by this I mean barking once, then twice, thrice, four times...).
I even don't believe they actually had 20 hand signs to communicate. How would you teach a dog to bark 20 times ? Can't say.
Most probably the man had just two: start barking and stop barking.

About monkeys:
Yes, I read about Koko, too.

But realise that often scientists don't even know what should count as an answer, and it's found only by coincidence.
One man was teaching a chimpansee hand signs with help of pictures of various fruits. Then suddenly, she (the chimp) started to show pictures randomly, without any sense, apparently. The scientist was disappointed and thought it was all in vain. But he placed some fruits before chimp, and... she took only ones whose pictures she pointed at.
It wasn't a response to scientist's question. It was a demand .

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
09-23-2004 at 11:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Random Useless Facts (0)  
B0rusk - do you have any sort of referrence to the story about the chimp and fruit? That would be very interesting.

09-23-2004 at 01:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Umm... I could scan the article, but it's in polish ;]. It's a magazine named "Przekrój"
And I'd need to find someone with scanner.

The last chimp I wrote about was called Sara(h), and the scientist - David Premack (the experiment was conducted in 60's)
Another name is Koko. I hope GoOgle will help you.

[Edited by b0rsuk at Local Time:09-24-2004 at 12:28 PM]

09-24-2004 at 12:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Random Useless Facts (+2)  
mrimer wrote:
Throughout the life of the DROD forum, the number of posts has always been almost exactly 10x the number of thread topics. Weird.
Sorry to bring this up from the "dead", as it were, but while looking at the forum growth statistics, I suddenly remembered this thread, and found that even after a year and four months this amazing fact still holds true!:

From the General Forum Statistics Page:
Avg Posts Per Topic: 9.931

(!)

Also, it seems that the number of posts per member has been reasonably steady too; I think it's hovered somewhere between 40 and 50 for most of the Forum's life so far, which is pretty cool. With JtRH having come out, however, I guess a greater number of people will be attracted to the forum, so I guess this average will fall too. Also, I believe the active population proportion has also been steady around 23-26%, which is interesting. I wonder how many of those 74-77% of users have never played DROD before or posted even once?

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 08-06-2005 01:45 AM]
08-06-2005 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Africa is a strange continent. If my sources are correct (which I can't name because I don't remember), you can easily see a healthy, even fat dog wandering around in a village. Even if the village is poor. Such a dog belongs to local shaman, which explains a lot. The animal is used in many rituals. Typically shaman banishes diseases from patient to the dog. That's why villagers are dead scared when shaman's dog approaches them, and try to bribe him* with food co he* goes away. As you may expect, giving food to a dog is not the best way to make him* go away...

More about Africa. Customs are, as the name suggests, customary. Certain african tribes have quite interesting customs. For example, if you suprise a naked woman, her first reaction will be to cover her... knees.

I think it's relatively widespread in so-called western civilisation that you show your host respect by eating everything there's on your dish. It's supposed to mean it was tasty.
Things are a little different in (IThinkItWas) Korea. Eating everything is considered inpolite, but there's a logical explaination. If you leave some token amount of food on your dish, it means your host provided enough food.

*english sucks

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 02-08-2006 09:19 PM]
02-08-2006 at 09:18 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
do you know that if you say to someone

5/4 people can't do fractions.

they will automatically hear it as

4/5 people can't do fractions.

however, tell it to them again, and they will hear it correctly.
interesting and true.(have tested this many, many times.)
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-30-2007 01:17 AM]
02-23-2006 at 06:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
If you put telephone directories on top of each other all the way up to the sun, there'd be less letters in the pile than there are molecules in a drop of water.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
02-23-2006 at 05:03 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Useless fact: It would take an infinite number of telephone books to get to the sun since they will start to incinerate when they get too close to the sun. You can keep adding more and more books, but the tower will never reach the sun.

Ergo, there are an infinite number of molecules in a drop of water.

The jury's still out on whether that number is countable, has a bijection with the reals, or is somewhere in between.

[Last edited by stigant at 02-23-2006 06:40 PM]
02-23-2006 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
But if you're really fast, like, faster than bad news, you should be able to place all the said directories in a nice heap before they have a chance to react to the somewhat unpleasant temperature of said sun. So there.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
02-23-2006 at 06:51 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I think the speed of the top of the tower would probably have to exceed the speed of light. For example, suppose that telephone directory could withstand the heat for .1 seconds at a distance of 1,000,000 km from the sun. You'd have to cover that last million km in less than .1 seconds. Your velocity would be at least 10 million kps, which is about 33 times the speed of light.

Even bad news doesn't travel that fast.

So its still not possible.

[Last edited by stigant at 02-23-2006 07:25 PM]
02-23-2006 at 07:23 PM
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
Saint Nicholas is the patron saint of Russia.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
02-23-2006 at 09:33 PM
Hix
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
stigant wrote:

The jury's still out on whether that number is countable, has a bijection with the reals, or is somewhere in between.
*snicker*

But if you are persistent enough in your stacking duties, the sun will grow until its surface includes your starting point for stacking. At that point, the distance to the sun will be zero. Hence 0 directories are required, hence the stack will contain 0 letters, and we can only infer that there is at least 1 molecule in a single drop of water.
02-23-2006 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Nillo wrote:
But if you're really fast, like, faster than bad news, you should be able to place all the said directories in a nice heap before they have a chance to react to the somewhat unpleasant temperature of said sun. So there.
Bah. Just do it at night when the sun doesn't shine... :lol

np: Scion - Part 09 (Arrange And Process Basic Channel Tracks)

02-23-2006 at 10:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Acronym: clicky
Less deadly than I thought.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-24-2006 09:33 PM]
02-23-2006 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
A study shows Poland and Portugal are the two most pessimistic european countries.

02-24-2006 at 04:21 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
b0rsuk wrote:
A study shows Poland and Portugal are the two most pessimistic european countries.
I doubt that. :huh

They mustn't have come to Austria... :D

np: Keishi Urata - A Mayfly Dance (Texhnolyze OST The Man Of Men)

02-24-2006 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
<<2345
Page 6 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Random Useless Facts (Know any useless facts? Sure you do!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com