Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Twitter (suggestion)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
IP: Logged
icon Twitter (+4)  
Banjooie wrote:
So where's Caravel's twitter account anyway amirite

I support Banjooie's suggestion for a Caravel twitter account.

If it can be hooked up to run automatically, then I can't see a downside. If it is ignored then the only loss is the effort taken to set it up.

You essentially treat it as a mini-illumination that someone signs up to via twitter instead of e-mail.

You only post interesting & automatable stuff:
* the scrolling announcement text (when it is changed)
* when new holds are released
* bar changes?
* illuminations?

--

I have taken stopped anyone else from taking CaravelGames. O:- I'll pass it on if Caravel wants to do something with it.
08-31-2009 at 12:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Twitter (0)  
Rabscuttle wrote:
* illuminations?
Smallest. Illumination. Ever. :D

08-31-2009 at 01:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Briareos wrote:
Rabscuttle wrote:
* illuminations?
Smallest. Illumination. Ever. :D

Maybe a link if the illuminations themselves are too long :P
08-31-2009 at 01:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Noooooo! There's already too much on twitter. Much more and I'll actually be compelled to use the damn service.
08-31-2009 at 01:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
NiroZ wrote:
Noooooo! There's already too much on twitter. Much more and I'll actually be compelled to use the damn service.
Meh.

IMHO Twitter is like those twerps on the bus that just can't stop yapping loudly into their cell phones - you only ever get one half of a dozen of conversations.

Whatever happened to, say, providing some context in those obnoxious Twitter-boxes everyone seems so keen to put up? Yeah, it's nice that you're replying to something, but everyone but the intended recipient can't make anything of it, and said recipient will be "following" (meh) you already anyway...

08-31-2009 at 02:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
I don't use twitter, but I kinda like the idea of making a Caravel Games twitter account.

[Last edited by Schik at 08-31-2009 02:55 PM]
08-31-2009 at 02:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Guys I was making a point that we don't need to have something just because it's Web 2.0 oh em gee.

Goddamnit what the hell

Briareos: For the record, most twitter accounts have a small line of fine print where it says 'in response to' so you can see who and what they're replying to. It's still dumb, though.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 08-31-2009 10:31 PM]
08-31-2009 at 10:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Banjooie wrote:
Guys I was making a point that we don't need to have something just because it's Web 2.0 oh em gee.

Goddamnit what the hell
Hey, I got it. In fact, I'd said in the in-game chat, before you posted that, "You know what's cool and all so DROD should have one? A wiki. Also a Twitter account."

I'll agree that if it takes no effort, there may not be a downside. On the other hand, Twitter is useful as a way to spread information that it's otherwise hard to get out there, and in this case, we have a forum. Which makes me feel that, if it takes even a little effort, it's not worth the effort.
09-01-2009 at 12:19 AM
Dr. Murphy
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 46
Tahnan wrote:
Banjooie wrote:

Goddamnit what the hell
Hey, I got it. In fact, I'd said in the in-game chat, before you posted that, "You know what's cool and all so DROD should have one? A wiki. Also a Twitter account."

I'll agree that if it takes no effort, there may not be a downside. On the other hand, Twitter is useful as a way to spread information that it's otherwise hard to get out there, and in this case, we have a forum. Which makes me feel that, if it takes even a little effort, it's not worth the effort.
True, but what's the worse thing that could happen? A little wasted effort, at least it's worth a try. Even if it doesn't get an excellent result, it may turn out to work out for us in the future. An open-minded person might not succeed the first time, but a closed-minded person will never succeed as long as he continues being closed-minded.

[Last edited by Dr. Murphy at 09-01-2009 03:26 AM]
09-01-2009 at 03:25 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Twitter (+3)  
An open-minded person might not succeed the first time, but a closed-minded person will never succeed as long as he continues being closed-minded.
Oooh, insult via maxim, fantastic. How about, "The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool"?

My point is this. When you say "a little wasted effort", there are two things to keep in mind. First, how little is "little", and in particular how little effort is it proportionate to the payoff? For example, here's another way to distribute the information: compile a telephone list of all DROD players and call them, one by one. I hope it's obvious that the effort here is so huge that it isn't worth it for the results. Similarly, yet another way: Mike Rimer can put a sign in his yard. Not much effort, but again, the results are so tiny that once again the efforts aren't worth the results. That's what concerns me here: that the "little wasted effort" not become too much.

Second, there's been a lot of discussion around here of why the community is dead, or something like that. I think that whatever one's opinion, it's generally agreed that there's work to be done around here. On the user side, there's playing holds, testing holds, participating in contests, and so forth; on the company side, there are still a lot of bugs to remove from RPG, there's work on the Next Big Project, there's heaven knows what else to do. And ultimately, any effort put into a project with only a small payoff is effort that might have been better put into something that actually needs to be done.
09-01-2009 at 04:46 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
While I'm not a big Twitter fan, this community is definitely large enough that we could have some frequent users who have a lot of free time on their hands manage something like this.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-01-2009 at 06:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Errr... while we're at it - why not just set up an RSS feed instead of a Twitter account? That won't even be limited to 140 characters, and is probably more universally useable than Twitter...

09-01-2009 at 08:30 AM
Rabscuttle
icon Re: Twitter (+1)  
Tahnan wrote:

The trouble with the forum is that it does not spread the information very far - it is only going to the people who regularly visit the forum. A twitter feed would enable Caravel to reach a wider audience: people who like the game but rarely/never visit the forum, people who used to play the game but haven't recently. These people may still be interested in what is going on, and a twitter feed would allow them to keep in touch with a minimum of effort.

The added benefit to us is that we have a line of communication open to them. It just may be that a certain hold, or contest announcement peaks their interest to make them (re)join the community. Also - it takes initiative on their part to turn off the twitters, unlike the forum when you have to choose to visit. (I've been thinking in marketese recently, I'm not sure why)

I see it as analogous to getting the Illumination e-mail to you, except that the updates will be smaller and more frequent (and less worrying that telling someone your e-mail address (if you are worried about that sort of thing))

NoahT wrote:
While I'm not a big Twitter fan, this community is definitely large enough that we could have some frequent users who have a lot of free time on their hands manage something like this.

I disagree with this - I see the generation of tweets as completely mechanical. This limits the posts to important events, and removes lazy/disappearing humans from the mix. However active users with free time are good for a wiki.

Briareos wrote:
Errr... while we're at it - why not just set up an RSS feed instead of a Twitter account? That won't even be limited to 140 characters, and is probably more universally useable than Twitter...

Or both? I'm not sure if either would be more suitable than the other. *shrug* I use twitter, but never got around to finding a decent feed reader.
09-01-2009 at 02:47 PM
Briareos
Rabscuttle wrote:
Briareos wrote:

Or both? I'm not sure if either would be more suitable than the other. *shrug* I use twitter, but never got around to finding a decent feed reader.
Well, Firefox already contains basic support for working with RSS ("Live Bookmarks"), and the Brief extension for it gives you a much better UI to handle those, so that's what I'm using... :)

09-01-2009 at 04:11 PM
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
icon Re: Twitter (+4)  
I use Twitter, and I use an RSS reader (far too much, in fact - I have way too many RSS subscriptions...) and find that Twitter is very useful for quick notifications of stuff. An example would be @thingiverse, which tweets whenever an item is added to the Thingiverse website. And twitter is far easier to send things to than setting-up an RSS feed. This is a function I wrote a while back for sending text to twitter in PHP, using curl, which I think is a standard PHP package:
function postBotTweet( $tweet )
{
	$ch = curl_init();
	curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERPWD, "<USERNAME>:<PASSWORD>"); //Replace <USERNAME> and <PASSWORD> with the real thing
	curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, "http://twitter.com/statuses/update.xml");
	curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, true);
	curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, "status=$tweet");

if ( $result = curl_exec($ch) )
	{
		echo "Successfully posted Tweet";
	}
}

You could just bung that in to the hold-publishing code and stuff, and then it's all automatic.
09-02-2009 at 12:24 AM
Rabscuttle
Briareos wrote:
Well, Firefox already contains basic support for working with RSS ("Live Bookmarks"), and the Brief extension for it gives you a much better UI to handle those, so that's what I'm using... :)

!!!
I was completely unaware of that! Now I just have to remember what I wanted the feed for in the first place. :?
09-02-2009 at 07:58 AM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
icon Re: Twitter (+2)  
I'll support this idea; I think it could be beneficial for the lurkers of the community, or even those who haven't signed up on the forums yet. This seems like the kind of work that would be done by the Department of Entanglements, had the idea not been abandoned.
Banjooie wrote:
well boy golly gee you sure are bad at it

09-06-2009 at 08:02 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Now, for your next trick, Azn, do something clever!
09-07-2009 at 10:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: Twitter (+2)  
Briareos wrote:

IMHO Twitter is like those twerps on the bus that just can't stop yapping loudly into their cell phones - you only ever get one half of a dozen of conversations.

:-)

http://laughingsquid.com/super-news-takes-you-to-the-twittersphere-and-back-down-to-earth/

10-01-2009 at 08:49 PM
Briareos
jamie wrote:
http://laughingsquid.com/super-news-takes-you-to-the-twittersphere-and-back-down-to-earth/
:lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way... :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, and welcome back of course!

[Last edited by Briareos at 10-01-2009 11:25 PM]
10-01-2009 at 10:49 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
:hi back!

10-01-2009 at 11:00 PM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
Briareos wrote:

:lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way... :D

Haha, when you wrote "Twitter is like those twerps on the bus that just can't stop yapping loudly into their cell phones - you only ever get one half of a dozen of conversations.", it totally reminded me of that video.

And yes, I agree with its sentiments too - I do use facebook for communicating with friends, and hate it when some of them update their statuses every few minutes with twitter-like comments!

Here's another one: http://current.com/items/90032288_celebrity-twitter-overkill.htm

Briareos wrote:
EDIT: Oh yeah, and welcome back of course!

Thanks! :D

10-03-2009 at 07:53 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Twitter (suggestion)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com