Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Beethro positioning bug revealed!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Beethro positioning bug revealed! (0)  
If I recall correctly, a while ago I posted up a very obscure bug about Beethro not being where he's supposed to be. I identified a bug today (it's 4am and I haven't slept yet) that may be related, and is in fact very specific:

If you change the location of the Entrance, then immediately go to a different room, and return, Beethro's starting position will be as it was in the old Entrance. For example:

The Entrance, Beethro's co-ords are 25,30
Change the Entrance, and Beethro's new co-ords are 10,17
Immediately switch your active editing room away and back
The Entrance remains changed, but Beethro's co-ords are back to 25,30

However, if you do further editing in the new Entrance, such as placing a monster, then Beethro's new position will be retained Editing prior to placing Beethro has no effect on this bug, and it does not matter what panel the editing after placing Beethro is from.

Edit: after further testing, namely exiting the editor and closing the game, then restarting and trying to play a hold in which Beethro's starting position is invalid, I discovered that Beethro had been moved 1 square south and 7 squares east, meaning he is still not allowed to start on an invalid square.

[Edited by DiMono on 06-12-2004 at 08:16 AM GMT]

06-12-2004 at 09:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Beethro positioning bug revealed! (0)  
In fact, this bug can be replicated even if you leave the room and look at several different rooms before returning. As long as you make no further edits to any rooms before you return, this bug will still remain.

It appears that DROD is only updating the coordinates of the start position after you edit something else (perhaps editing something forces DROD to re-save everything)

Since this was brought up, it also appears to be linked to the problem that if you try to copy a room that you've edited before leaving it, you will actually only copy over the room as it was before you edited it.

06-12-2004 at 01:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Brickman
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
icon Re: Beethro positioning bug revealed! (0)  
I had figured a solution out to this a while ago, when making my first level of my first hold. I thought it wasn't even considered a major bug, because all you have to do is click twice when placing beethro in the new room (the first to set the start room, second to set position). Its so simple.
07-09-2004 at 05:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Beethro positioning bug revealed!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com